Traveling Foods

Options
So my husband is military and he just got new orders. We are driving across country with a 1 year old....and a cat. Oh boy!

I was wondering if anyone had any easy fast HEALTHY ideas for food that isn't a lot of work and not so stressful since I will be stressed out of my mind lol. I prefer not to just have fast food the whole way ugh.

Thank you!!

Replies

• lmisskatie
    Options
    Anybody?
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can you keep a cooler in the car? String cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, baby carrots are all good, healthy, and filling. When you stop for meals, obviously head for salads, grilled chicken, and vegetables. The food part isn't all that hard compared to driving with a 1 year old! :smile:
  • lmisskatie
    Options
    Yes I am SO excited to be traveling across country with a 1 year old haha. We will also have a cat, yay us!

You gave me an idea too. Cooler with old bottle traveling cases in it when ice packs lol. The food with the ice packs.
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bagged spinach, chopped veggies ,hummus.. Aldis makes a really good protein bar fit and active that I always carry with me when I travel... and of course bags of nuts...:)
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh and course don't forget good old pbj...:)
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A cooler is the way to go; that's what my Mom always did with us. Breakfast would be cereal and milk (in the hotel room); today I would add some fruit (bananas, apples, pears) and probably hard cooked eggs (toss the yolks for a healthy protein source).

Lunch on the road was always at rest stops, where Mom would make sandwiches for us (no need to pre-make them ahead of time, just do it there while enjoying the scenery!). Lean lunch meat (ham or turkey), mustard, maybe some bits of lettuce or red onion (prepped before you embark and popped in a zippy bag). Cherry tomatoes, pretzels, carrot/celery sticks, and grapes all make great, healthy sides. Those also make great snacks in the car... along with string cheese or jerky for some protein. All easy to eat and not too messy.

Low fat yogurt is good too, of course. Don't bring chips, and I don't recommend nuts, either... although "healthy," they pack a LOT of calories and you just don't need that whilst sitting on your butt that long!

It's all in the planning; if you can prepare for breakfast, lunch, and snacks out of your cooler, you'll be that much better off. Most grocery stores have easy precut items you can easily restock on as your supplies run low... only bring enough for a couple of days at a time, and avail yourself of the ice machine at the hotel. Bring lots of water (I like to refill bottles from a larger, gallon size). And don't bring what you don't want to eat. If you pack it, you WILL eat it!

Oh, and don't forget plastic cutlery, extra zippies and a roll of paper towels. You'll already have baby wipes, so that will be handy.

Good luck, and let us know what works, and what didn't!!!
  • lmisskatie
    Options
    Wow that you all so much! :)