Can you recommend a food processor?

Options
pixlamarque
pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
I am a kitchen gadget hater. I love my KitchenAid stand mixer, but other than that I am super low tech. More and more I am wanting to try a food processor. After reading reviews on Amazon for days on end, I am more confused than ever. All the machines seem to have a similar number of people saying that the machine does great at certain tasks and the same number of people saying it is terrible. Most of the reviews are centered around tasks that are not so important to me. So, I decided to ask people who would most likely use one for the same purposes that I would.

I am mainly looking for a food processor for making nut/seed butters. I do a ton of chopping and slicing, so if I purchase one I will obviously use it for those tasks. What I don't want is one that is so complicated to use or clean that I would rather spend the time chopping veg with a knife. One that doesn't spill liquids would be a plus (apparently that is a problem for many models, who knew?). Another plus would be one that isn't made in China (sounds like most all the Cuisinarts are made there and only assembled in the US).

Anyway, if you have one that you love that you actually make nut/coconut butter in and use frequently and would recommend, please chime in. I'm hoping to avoid shelling out the $300+ for a Magimix Robot-Coupe, but at least it is made in France rather than China.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KitchenAid makes food processors. Does pretty well making nut butters. The only thing that sucks (and this goes for all food processors I've seen) is that you have to hold the button and it takes forever to get from "nut flour/meal" to "nut butter." It's pretty standard as far as cleaning - bowl, lid (maybe food pusher thingy), and blade, which all separate from each other and from the base. KitchenAid products are, for the most part, made in America (according to Wikipedia, some things aren't, but it doesn't specify what).

Then there's Vitamix. It's technically a blender (and pricey), but it's supposed to make peanut butter (and I assume other nut butters) really well, and really fast. It's mostly made in the USA ("70% minimum" according to their site), and from what I hear, worth every penny. Oh, and as for cleaning? It's made to not come apart (for purposes of cleaning), because it has its own cleaning capability.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have the 14 cup cuisinart. I love it. Came with the food processor blade, grate plate (perfect to rice clauiflower) and slice plate. The pusher has a small hole in it that makes it perfect to drizzle oil to make home made mayo (you don't have to slowly pour). You also have the choice of pulse or blend so you do not have to hold the button. I bought it 2 years ago the day after Thanksgiving for USD $60.00 (Normally $120.00)
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    I have considered a Vitamix, but despite the great reviews on it it would not perform any of the slicing/grating tasks that a food processor would do. I don't make smoothies, so I think I would get more function out of an actual food processor. There is a Ninja Mega set that has a food processor bowl, but you only get the different blades for it if you order it from the Ninja site which charges a whopping $70 shipping and handling charge. It still might be worth it for all you get, but all things considered I still think a processor is the way to go. Our old blender only ever got used for margaritas and otherwise collected dust. We just aren't blender people, I guess.

Dragonwolf, do you know which KitchenAid version you have? They either have great reviews or terrible ones. I just want to avoid the baddies. I don't care about holding the button down, as you say, I think they all require that. I love my stand mixer from them. They had one that was very well reviewed by Cooks Illustrated, but isn't made anymore. I am considering that one (you can still get it on Amazon from 3rd party) even though it is discontinued.

And thank you, Howbouto. I know that one is highly recommended, I was just hoping to purchase non-Chinese manufacture if possible. I know it isn't always possible, but I make the attempt.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I just did an extensive research and have tried out and returned 4 different food processors in the past half year : cuisinarts, kitchenaid, hamilton beach and olympus. Finally I bought a MAGIMIX and OMG the difference is striking. It is super expensive , and hard to find at least in canada. I bought mine from Williams Sonora . MAGIMIX is the domestic version of Robot coupe food processor, the company which made food processor first in the 70's . It is still made in France not like the others, which are all made in China. Even kitchenaid moved production there a couple of years ago, and so its cuisinarts. If you look at the reviews people rave about certain discontinued model that was made a few yrs ago when the production was still in the US. On the other hand review are terrible for the new made in china versions.

In my experience, those food processors I returned were flimsy and junk compared to my magimix. There is a reason the company has a 30 yrs warranty on the motor... while others have 1 yr warranty and that is it. Plus when you slice something , it doesn't leave huge chunk of unsliced veggies behind. Not to mention the cleaning is super easy compare to other ones. For me the kitchenaid was particularly bad in terms of pieces of cheese and whatnot stuck in the holes in the handle and I spend tons of time to properly clean it. The KA slicing disk had 2 hole in i\to lift in and out from the, bowl, but often those hole screw up the slicing process and veggies stuck into them. I am just glad I bought it at costco, because they have the most amazing return policy.

Anyway, Magimix is amazing and I can tell it is an investment for many years to come. It do all the slicing and shredding you need to do, and the motor has plenty of power to make nut butters just like the vitamix. It has 3 buttons, stop auto and pulse. When you push the auto it keeps doing without needing to hold the button, which is good for long tasks like nut butter making. It also comes with an egg whisk and a handy storage container for the blades and slicing disks. I already put juliene disk set and dicing kit on my Christmas wishlist.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just read that you do not want to spend the $ on the magimix, but I personally think you should.
    If you do not want to spend the $ on it, buy something really really cheap like the hamilton beach. Honestly it is no worse than the cuisinarts or the kitchenaid , which are pricier.
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    I'm so glad that you made that post. I discussed it with my husband last night and went over the pros and cons. I have ruled out Cuisinart even though I know they have a loyal following. From what I have read they are just not making the same quality of machines that they used to make.

As you said, the KitchenAid that everyone (including Cooks Illustrated #1 choice) raves about is no longer made. You can get it used or rebuilt for $199. Honestly, if I am going to spend that much, especially when it isn't even new or under warranty, I think I would be better off to go ahead and suck it up and purchase the MagiMix/Robot Coupe. It comes with way more bowls and attachments and by the time I purchased a storage case for the blades and the accessories to compare from another brand I would still spend a similar amount of money. I never want to spend more than I have to, but I do take care of my things, make careful choices, and keep them forever. Luckily I am married to a mechanic and he doesn't mind fixing things, either. I was hoping to purchase one before Thanksgiving, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I'll need to wait a little longer. I have read several comments from people who did the same as you, spent money on other models and in the end finally went with the MagiMix and said there is no comparison. At least I can console myself that it is at least less expensive than the new one that KitchenAid has out for $600 (not that I would ever spend that much).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf, do you know which KitchenAid version you have? They either have great reviews or terrible ones. I just want to avoid the baddies. I don't care about holding the button down, as you say, I think they all require that. I love my stand mixer from them. They had one that was very well reviewed by Cooks Illustrated, but isn't made anymore. I am considering that one (you can still get it on Amazon from 3rd party) even though it is discontinued.

My mother in law is the one with it and unfortunately, I don't recall what one it is. That said, I did a quick search on Amazon, and there's this model that has good reviews (they have a 12 and 13 cup one, too, but it's $250, good reviews, though) - http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KFP0922OB-Cup-Food-Processor/dp/B0060WSYV4/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1383841759&sr=1-4&keywords=kitchenaid+food+processor
  • crisgetsfit14
    Options
    The Ninja sucks. I used to have it (the one with the processor bowl) and it sucked too.

I use my Vitamix for basically anything. I've grated parmesan and mashed potatoes and made salsa in it.

Check out Bodum, a friend of mine has their stand mixer and loves it compared to her Kitchenaid, I can only imagine the food processor would be the same.
  • gfalken
    gfalken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this thread but wanted to put in my $.02. We've had a Kitchenaid KFP670 for 7 or 8 years now and it's been a true workhorse. It chops and slices well and has an "on" button for long jobs like processing almond butter. Cleaning is no problem, either by hand or in the dishwasher. My only complaint is that the disk and tool storage box is flimsy and takes up much more space than it needs to. I have no idea if the current Kitchenaids are as good but this one is a winner. Hope it never breaks.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Had my Kitchen Aid for over 10 years. Love it! And I use it a lot.