Racing pace same as training pace - how to improve it?

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
I seem to "race" pretty much at the same (slow) pace that I train at. It's like I'm on just another daily run.

What is the best way to race faster? What do I need to change?

(I've been working on speed on the treadmill, trying to train my legs to go faster, because I AM capable of it. I suspect I am holding back in the races, because despite running since January, I don't know how my body reacts to faster pacing and how long I can last at those various paces. I am really comfortable at my slow pace and can run for a long time - so I just run the races at that same pace. I'd like to see if I might be approaching this wrong.)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you've been running for less than a year I'd suggest not worrying about it too much just yet, you're still building your aerobic base.

But, if you do want to build speed.......

1. Get off the treadmill (they're useful for maintaining fitness in the winter but......)
    2. Mix up your runs - long and slow for endurance; shorter faster tempo runs and some in-between
    3. Intervals or fartleks
    4. Track work (fast 400s)
    5. Hills

and, if you can, find a more experienced runner or running group to train with occasionally to help you get a feel for the faster paces.

It's perfectly normal for people to stay in their comfort zones and, if you're not planning on racing, there's nothing wrong with it (you're improving your fitness and, hopefully, having fun and that's what really counts)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    ^ Some good advice right there.

I highly suggest you find a running group - they can be incredibly motivating and helpful as far as speed workouts and getting you out of your comfort zone. I also tend to run faster when I run with others. Try a running specialty store - they often have "fun runs" or other training groups you can join. I've done several with the Fleet Feet near me and I can say my marathon training as well as regular running has improved a TON since joining this group.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What does your running look like right now? How many days a week are you running and how far?
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    In for the answers :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I bet you can do this right now: Go out for a tempo run. Warm up, then run 30 seconds faster than your training pace, for as far as you can -- but your goal should be to run 5K. You might feel absolutely exhausted, but just keep up that pace. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up finishing the whole 5K the first time you try it.

It sounds to me like you have a mental block more than a fitness block, and you're worried about failing during a race instead of striving to reach your potential. Once you see you can break through your daily training pace, then you'll be more comfortable doing it in a race.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    What does your running look like right now? How many days a week are you running and how far?

I run three times a week, about 4-5 miles each time, at about 11:45 pace outside. I can't "just run" on the treadmill due to boredom, so I have to mix it up. Mostly I am doing track-style workouts on the treadmill with lots of 400-800s faster with recovery jogs between, then I go back outside to do my longer straight runs (which are not boring).

I am a swimmer, and usually swim 1.5-2 miles 2-4 times a week. (I actually had surgery due to a bike crash and was just cleared to swim again.) And bike 2x week 19-20mph pace. I lift weights 3x/week, the cardio infused type. So I don't have time to run more - I already put in 11-14 hours/activity/week. My cardio base itself is OK, but specific to running it is not. There is a huge discrepancy in ability between my running and my other activities. My primary goal is triathlons. I don't know if I will be able to do a half-Ironman this next summer (mostly due to running as it needs so much work), but I plan to start half marathon training in the early spring.

From a cardio perspective, when I convert my swimming/biking to running miles at a 12 min/mile pace, I am running about 40-45 miles a week right now. In the past, it was higher. (This is mainly due to my surgery recovery.)

I am willing to limit my swimming to 2x/week in order to spend more time running/get better quality running time. I need to bike at least twice a week because it is newer to me and I am still building my ability there. I will eventually bike more x/week, but right now it is relatively much stronger than my running, so biking more can wait.

I wanted to work out my speed issues before just upping the distance at that pace - mostly because I don't want to ingrain it further if that is my problem. But, maybe I am approaching it wrong and being impatient - and just need to put in the miles. I see lots of people doing mainly that and they get faster. But I also see that most people run their races faster than their training speed, and that frustrates me that I don't. I know that the racing speed is mental for me - due to not knowing what I can do and how long I can sustain it for. So I kind of suspect my training pace just will be what it will be - and will get better with more time. I feel like there might be two separate, but related issues - mental during the races, and physical during the training.

I never thought I could run and I love it. But I think I still fight some of those beliefs.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I bet you can do this right now: Go out for a tempo run. Warm up, then run 30 seconds faster than your training pace, for as far as you can -- but your goal should be to run 5K. You might feel absolutely exhausted, but just keep up that pace. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up finishing the whole 5K the first time you try it.

It sounds to me like you have a mental block more than a fitness block, and you're worried about failing during a race instead of striving to reach your potential. Once you see you can break through your daily training pace, then you'll be more comfortable doing it in a race.

Thank you. A lot. I think this really speaks to my need for patience.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    ^ Some good advice right there.

I highly suggest you find a running group - they can be incredibly motivating and helpful as far as speed workouts and getting you out of your comfort zone. I also tend to run faster when I run with others. Try a running specialty store - they often have "fun runs" or other training groups you can join. I've done several with the Fleet Feet near me and I can say my marathon training as well as regular running has improved a TON since joining this group.

I think you are right. I was just at the shop buying new shoes last night - I'll try harder to find a group to run with.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    If you've been running for less than a year I'd suggest not worrying about it too much just yet, you're still building your aerobic base.

But, if you do want to build speed.......

1. Get off the treadmill (they're useful for maintaining fitness in the winter but......)
    2. Mix up your runs - long and slow for endurance; shorter faster tempo runs and some in-between
    3. Intervals or fartleks
    4. Track work (fast 400s)
    5. Hills

and, if you can, find a more experienced runner or running group to train with occasionally to help you get a feel for the faster paces.

It's perfectly normal for people to stay in their comfort zones and, if you're not planning on racing, there's nothing wrong with it (you're improving your fitness and, hopefully, having fun and that's what really counts)

Thank you for some more ideas.

Yes, I want to get off the treadmill (except for bad weather). I am just using it as a tool right now, trying to retrain my muscles and mind.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So if it's not a matter of technique or ability - because sounds like you're on the right track...maybe try a couple practice races?

I picked an 'A' race for the end of this year (next weekend) and I really want to hit 22 minutes in the 5 KM. So, about once a month I practice this on my own or in a less important 5 KM race. Test out some pacing strategies (it sounds like you're being conservative on race day). Do you have a gps watch? This helps.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    This topic is of real interest to me, since I think I am almost a one pace pony. I'm terribly consistent without even trying. 12 minute miles for long runs. 11-11:30 for shorter runs. I am trying to build out distance and I guess that might be part of the "problem". I haven't had a true race since July. I have been wondering if I should add speed work to my regimen since I have a hard time fitting in longer mid-week runs. I'm thinking of trading one 4.5 mile for Yasso 800's or some other type of speed work. I know usually people focus on building out the miles first, but I just can't manage to squeeze that much time out of the week. I need to run faster to fit in all the running I want to do.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    So if it's not a matter of technique or ability - because sounds like you're on the right track...maybe try a couple practice races?

I picked an 'A' race for the end of this year (next weekend) and I really want to hit 22 minutes in the 5 KM. So, about once a month I practice this on my own or in a less important 5 KM race. Test out some pacing strategies (it sounds like you're being conservative on race day). Do you have a gps watch? This helps.

There was a racing series this past summer that was cheaper (no t-shirts and low tech). That would have been great to do for just this purpose, I think. (My work schedule didn't allow me to do it.) There aren't any at this time of year. I think I do need to do a monthly run like you mention. Or find an actual 5K each month.

I am waiting for my GPS watch to arrive. I am getting a Garmin with a Virtual Partner program in it so it can vibrate/beep at me to run faster. I'm nervous I won't do it, though. At least that treadmill keeps moving.
  • KathleenKP
    Options

I did this today (but on the treadmill). I got an 11:09 pace for 3.5 miles. I was tired, but maybe could have kept going if there was an emergency requiring me to keep running (big clue --> I was still able to increase my speed for the last 400 and knew I could have done more).

I really like this idea because the :30 faster pace seems sustainable, and it was something I could do today. What I've been trying to do was too much of a drop, and it was starting to discourage me. I will try to keep running at this pace, get comfortable with it, and then repeat it with another :30 drop. I have just always run like I needed to run for hours, not for a 3 mile race.

Thank you all again for your advice. I am going to work at incorporating your ideas into my training.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I did this today (but on the treadmill). I got an 11:09 pace for 3.5 miles. I was tired, but maybe could have kept going if there was an emergency requiring me to keep running (big clue --> I was still able to increase my speed for the last 400 and knew I could have done more).

I really like this idea because the :30 faster pace seems sustainable, and it was something I could do today. What I've been trying to do was too much of a drop, and it was starting to discourage me. I will try to keep running at this pace, get comfortable with it, and then repeat it with another :30 drop. I have just always run like I needed to run for hours, not for a 3 mile race.

Thank you all again for your advice. I am going to work at incorporating your ideas into my training.

Awesome! Once you get to the point where this is a *very* hard workout for you, I wouldn't recommend doing it more than twice a week, taking a few days rest between them. Most of your miles should be easy miles, and this type of speed training should be supplemental.