Sleep is important, what might help an troubled sleeper?

Options
Sleep is so important to weight loss (so says many of the studies and gurus out there). I know it definitely helps me with energy levels and stress relief.

However, I am asking this more for my loved ones. I live with two people that can't seem to get or stay asleep very well, and I'm sure it is affecting their health (in various ways).

They have both tried a lot of different things and would rather not take something like a sleep aid as they don't want the groggy feeling the next day. I've recommend melatonin only because I have the same problems at times (need to shut off the brain and not be groggy the next day), but they really haven't shown interest in it.

I refuse to give up on helping them, it's just who I am, and I hate to see them so exhausted all the time. I worry my tossing and turning keep my boyfriend awake and I haven't been feeling rested after 6 to 7 hours of sleep. I however can usually go to bed earlier (I work the earliest out of all of us) but they are kind of night people and don't often go to bed before 10pm.

So... What do you do to relax and get good sleep? Recommendations for a very light sleeper that is woken up by minimal disruption?

Replies

• doylenic
    Options
    Not sure if they would be into exercising but I often sleep better after a run or some cardio. Also not eating to close to bed time. I sometimes struggle with sleep as well and eating my dinner to close to bed time makes it worse.
  • nlepine84
    nlepine84 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    -not eating before bed. have last meal or snack about 2 hours before sleeping.
    -keep a notepad beside bed- writer out all those "I need to do" thoughts right before bed so you can think about them the next day instead of at bed
    -have a relaxing bath
    -read
    -turn the TV off 30 mins prior to going to bed to relax

I go to the chiropractor, his adjustments help me sleep better
  • emma_lauren11
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a light sleeper and take forever to fall asleep in the first place. I agree with the previous person who said to keep a notepad beside the bed, or to just keep a to-do list so that you aren't worrying about what you are forgetting. I also sleep with a fan on for background noise and that way other noises rarely wake me up because the fan covers them. I would also suggest maybe going to a mattress store and asking about pillows. Depending on what type of sleeper they are they could invest in a proper pillow that could help them fall/stay asleep because it is designed to be comfier for back or side sleepers etc.
    Hope this helps!
  • flowersofdawn
    flowersofdawn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for this input. :smile: I will definitely pass it on to them. I may even take some of that advise myself. :wink: