Pull-up Bar Advice?

Options
Good morning everyone,

I purchased an Iron Gym brand pull-up bar which should arrive today. I am familiar with lifting challenging weights and have done so for over 3 years. I've never done pull-ups and being able to do them by my 60th birthday (Feb 2014) is one of my fitness goals.

Can anyone offer advice/suggestions on the best way to get started without causing injury?:happy:

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Pamela

Replies

• kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had a free consultation with a trainer and told her that my goals are to do pullups and pushups. For pullups she said the best thing to do for progression is to use a resistance band for assisted pullups. I'm not sure how it would work for you at home, but in the gym at work, I loop the thick band around the top of the rack and use a bench to get into it. I can do about 3 sets of 6 so far. When I get to 10 I'm probably going to switch it out with the thinner band. And then....unassisted! :)

Good luck!
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback, Kiki. I can imagine what you described. I'll do a little more looking around on YouTube to see how assisted pullups can be done at home. I DO need that good luck!:happy:
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use the LifeLine Revolution band. and doing negatives (letting yourself down really slowly) it had me doing un-assisted pull-ups in a few months. I'm up to 5 consecutive now :o)

you can do it!!!!
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Bunnybee, I'll look up LifeLine Revolution band. Good job with being able to do 5 consecutive pull-ups, too. I know they are the ultimate fitness move to do.:wink:
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as Kiki. I just use a strong resistance band and loop it around the bar and use it for assistance!
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback, twinmomtwice4. I am going to try the resistance band method and chair method. I WILL eventually pull up.:smile:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been doing negatives - climb up on a chair and then lower myself down as slowly as possible) and it's taking FOREVER! I'm getting disheartened. I wonder if a band would speed up the process, or if it's just a matter of being patient (not my strong point!)
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Negative Pull-ups
    Hold your self in the flexed arm hang position for 10 seconds, then you must fight gravity and slowly lower yourself down to the count of five seconds.
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Thank you both about negative pull ups.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am going to try some negative pull ups tonight. I have been using the assisted pull up machine at the gym and slowly reducing the weight. I have improved over the last 2 months but I feel like I need something else. Last week i started adding a few heavy sets of lat pull downs and that has helped but I really want to do a pull up by the end of the year. Maybe this will help thanks for the ideas. :)
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Negative Pull-ups
    Hold your self in the flexed arm hang position for 10 seconds, then you must fight gravity and slowly lower yourself down to the count of five seconds.

Got my pullup bar up and videoed just to have something to reflect back on my first raw attempt at a pull-up. Of course, it was pathetic but that is okay...lol. I am going to train 3x per week using negative pull-ups and improving my grip by just hanging with arms extended from the bar.

All of you have been very helpful.
  • GarethChapman
    Options
    you might find this workout routine helps.. http://easybuypal.com/use/10-pull-up-workout-challenge/

it starts with Australian pull ups then negatives then standard pull ups (description of each on link)

Also I personally found chin ups (i.e. palms facing you) with a narrow grip are easier to start with as a form of standard pull up then when you can do 10 of them try widening your grip till you can do 10 then reverse your grip into a standard pull up (palms facing away), again start narrow and gradually move your grip wider as you build your back strength.
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    you might find this workout routine helps.. http://easybuypal.com/use/10-pull-up-workout-challenge/

it starts with Australian pull ups then negatives then standard pull ups (description of each on link)

Also I personally found chin ups (i.e. palms facing you) with a narrow grip are easier to start with as a form of standard pull up then when you can do 10 of them try widening your grip till you can do 10 then reverse your grip into a standard pull up (palms facing away), again start narrow and gradually move your grip wider as you build your back strength.

Thanks...I am on my way to check out the link. I've been practicing dead hangs and negative chin-ups. It HARD....but determined to do a chin-up and pull-up eventually.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    This might help too. I confess I haven't started it myself yet, but... it's from Scooby....
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    This might help too. I confess I haven't started it myself yet, but... it's from Scooby....
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Thank you, whitebalance. I've been practicing chin-ups/pull-ups 3 days per week and can finally bend arms at 90 degrees but head still under bar. I know it will take frequent practice and in this until I can do at least one of each style.
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Update: Started doing "assisted" close grip chin-ups and "assisted" hammer grip pull-ups using a combination of a heavy & medium weight resistance tube attached to my bar.I place one knee in a tube and pull up.

I am able to finally do ONE chin-up without asistance from the floor.

I work in these moves on my Bench Press and Over Head Press days.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Way to go! Doing an un-assisted pull up is one of my goals too and you've inspired me to try some additional exercises to get there! Thanks!