Give yourself a boost!

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
I also cross posted this to the Paleo/primal group.

So I finished my first Whole30. I gotta say I was expecting some unicorn magic to happen while on it. It did though!...but I only realized it in the end. :)

I managed to stay dairy & grain free for entire month! Everything else sneaked into my food in very small amounts or I allowed it (such as soy, some sugar & vegetable oils when eating out). It was really really tough at times, I had the crazy food dreams & massive cravings for everything under the sun. Once I put soy sauce on my food at home, realized it wasn't worth it & didn't eat the rest. It broke the bank a little having to go shopping for meats & FFV every week... but it was worth it! I can't even imagine how better I would feel if I could afford to eat organic/pastured food...one day I hope I can :)

So the verdict on my health?
-I lost around 7lbs
-Acne on face cleared up
-Acid reflux cleared up! (I'd only experience it very faintly if I ate processed foods/ too much vinegar)
-Gas & bloating cleared up (only triggered by the above too)
-Just felt... better!

Also I was very thirsty! I drank tons & tons of water. I still tracked my food to keep myself in Ketosis. Ghee became my best friend & I realized how easy it was to get enough fat. Didn't even need to drink BP coffee! My bf did pretty good too, a lot more slip ups but still decent.

So at the end my bf & I ate some junk and it tasted like, well... junk. It gave us nausea & upset stomach. We could barely eat the candy we had bought, it was SO sweet to us. And to my shock we didn't really crave it anymore. We also cancelled our plans to go out for pizza. He said he wanted to continue eating good. That's when I was the proudest of him & I. THAT'S when the magic was realized! :heart:

I highly recommend the Whole30!
Info here: http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/

I'm planning to do another in January :)

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

I tried W30 last spring and failed miserably. It was too (mentally) restrictive and I had a hard time not feeling guilty or like a failure for not eating grass fed, organic, yadda yadda. One very obvious thing I came away with though was that I'm sensitive to dairy (I know I'm G intolerant already). When I eat gluten, and I'm not good about staying on my GF diet, the symptoms mask the dairy symptoms so I never realized how bad it was until I'd cut it out for awhile and then went back to it. But yea, immediate bloat and gas. I'm obviously gf now but I haven't been dairy free since starting lchf. To be honest I need "familiar" food right now, things the I like and can eat multiple times a day. I don't think induction is the time to get experimental, especially when you're looking to make a lifestyle change vs a diet. So I wanted to take baby steps and get through the first few weeks before cracking down. Eventually I will cut down on dairy and assess how my body deals with nightshades as well.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Great job!!

I tried W30 last spring and failed miserably. It was too (mentally) restrictive and I had a hard time not feeling guilty or like a failure for not eating grass fed, organic, yadda yadda. One very obvious thing I came away with though was that I'm sensitive to dairy (I know I'm G intolerant already). When I eat gluten, and I'm not good about staying on my GF diet, the symptoms mask the dairy symptoms so I never realized how bad it was until I'd cut it out for awhile and then went back to it. But yea, immediate bloat and gas. I'm obviously gf now but I haven't been dairy free since starting lchf. To be honest I need "familiar" food right now, things the I like and can eat multiple times a day. I don't think induction is the time to get experimental, especially when you're looking to make a lifestyle change vs a diet. So I wanted to take baby steps and get through the first few weeks before cracking down. Eventually I will cut down on dairy and assess how my body deals with nightshades as well.

Yeah I couldn't afford grass fed/ organic so I just ate regular store bought. Well maybe when you're more comfortable in your diet you can do a whole30 :) I can't imagine how nightshade would effect me, what kind of side effects can they cause?
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey, nice to hear this, and good work! I started Whole30 around February (cant believe its November already!), but ended up getting really into a raw / fruit diet (I know totally opposite to low carb!), got really sick from the fruit and discovered that was causing a lot of upset tummy etc.
    SOoooo after a few hiccups along the way, went back to low carb and am now keen to get back into the Whole 30 properly, have downloaded a great app called Clean Eating that has some really good recipes on it, not all are low carb though. Just going to transition into it as mentally it is hard, but like you said, once you get into the habit you realise that junk food really isnt that tasty!!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Fendi- gas, bloating, inflammation, and resistance to weight loss.

Nightshaded are potatoes, peppers, tomatoes
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Fendi- gas, bloating, inflammation, and resistance to weight loss.

Nightshaded are potatoes, peppers, tomatoes

Interesting... I love me some jalapenos & tomatoes, but it's worth considering.