So I finished my Whole30...

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
So I finished my first Whole30. I gotta say I was expecting some unicorn magic to happen while on it. It did though!...but I only realized it in the end. :)

I managed to stay dairy & grain free for entire month! Everything else sneaked into my food in very small amounts or I allowed it (such as soy, some sugar & vegetable oils when eating out). It was really really tough at times, I had the crazy food dreams & massive cravings for everything under the sun. Once I put soy sauce on my food at home, realized it wasn't worth it & didn't eat the rest. It broke the bank a little having to go shopping for meats & FFV every week... but it was worth it! I can't even imagine how better I would feel if I could afford to eat organic/pastured food...one day I hope I can :)

So the verdict on my health?
-I lost around 7lbs
-Acne on face cleared up
-Acid reflux cleared up! (I'd only experience it very faintly if I ate processed foods/ too much vinegar)
-Gas & bloating cleared up (only triggered by the above too)
-Just felt... better!

Also I was very thirsty! I drank tons & tons of water. I still tracked my food to keep myself in Ketosis. Ghee became my best friend & I realized how easy it was to get enough fat. Didn't even need to drink BP coffee! My bf did pretty good too, a lot more slip ups but still decent.

So at the end my bf & I ate some junk and it tasted like, well... junk. It gave us nausea & upset stomach. We could barely eat the candy we had bought, it was SO sweet to us. And to my shock we didn't really crave it anymore. We also cancelled our plans to go out for pizza. He said he wanted to continue eating good. That's when I was the proudest of him & I. THAT'S when the magic was realized! :heart:

p.s. Sorry for my long post, just wanted to share my experience & thank you guys for all your advice & support. I'm already thinking about doing another Whole30 in January ;)

Replies

• ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm glad you had such a good time of it. I know most people find it really really difficult at first but I must admit that so far I'm not doing too bad. I'm loving the way I feel again, and generally (on most days) I'm not hungry in between meals. I know what will happen during Christmas, but I'm with you on Whole30 for January!!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous! I am so proud of you. I was amazed by the way refined sugars tasted waaay too sweet to me at the end as well. I never looked back although I do like a naturally sweetened goody way to often. But, you worked really hard and pushed through, now go celebrate with more grass fed beef and veggies :)

And, I'm totally in for another Whole30 in January!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Great job! and question for those who do this intermittently. are you doing paleo or primal all the other times? and then why would you do the 30 again? Just curious. I am on day 5 of my first ever 30.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nice job! After my Whole30 sweet things tasted too sweet to me. I'd love to do another, but I need dairy to help me with my protein while I bulk right now.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Great job! and question for those who do this intermittently. are you doing paleo or primal all the other times? and then why would you do the 30 again? Just curious. I am on day 5 of my first ever 30.

I'm actually keto, but I'd like to say the whole30 was a test run for what strict Paleo would be like. I liked it, even though it was tough. I think I could go primal once I got my resources sorted. I'd like to do it again after the holidays to jump start weight loss & "detox" from all the holiday foods I may eat.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    That's fabulous! I am so proud of you. I was amazed by the way refined sugars tasted waaay too sweet to me at the end as well. I never looked back although I do like a naturally sweetened goody way to often. But, you worked really hard and pushed through, now go celebrate with more grass fed beef and veggies :)

And, I'm totally in for another Whole30 in January!

Thank you! You were my main inspiration!
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I am pretty much paleo but i do occasionally sneak in a yoghurt or a glass of milk here and there. But in my case, I went on vacation, behaved very badly and found it more difficult than I thought to get back on track. So Whole30 is my tool for setting me back straight again and so far it's working brilliantly!