What's your pet worth to you?

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
So recently I had a situation where my dachshund (5 years old) slipped a disc and became paralyzed from the waist down making surgery his only real chance to walk again. I know everyone is different and has different opinions on what they would do for their sick or injured pet. For me there was no question about the money(it was less than $5000) To have him be able to walk again and pee on his own. Keep in mind these dogs are happy and healthy and can live perfectly happy lives, as any person in a wheelchair can. Just more work for you and there is really no reason to euthanize, most vets dont' consider that an option, unless there is pain or suffering. So what's your limit, how far will you go? My husbands friend was raised on a farm and said you can buy a lot of dogs with that money, I of course feel that Dexter is only 5 and I certainly can't just go out and get another Dexter. I dont' care much for money and would much rather have my happiness from my dog, can't really snuggle up to the cash. So what kind of pet owner are you?

also I was very surprised to find out that most of the people I talked to that have money and I do mean HAVE money, wouldn't really spend much to save/help their pet.

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pet at the moment, but I would have given anything to save my cockatiel that died a year ago. seriously, she was the BEST. even so, all life is worth A LOT. that's why i'm vegan. i just can't handle lives being taken away left and right. if i can do something, i will. i hope your dog is going to be okay! :flowerforyou:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Good question. I don't know. I have gone into serious credit card debt to pay for chemo for two of my dogs with cancer. And you can never even be sure how much, if any, time is going to be bought (no pun intended) by pursuing expensive medical or surgical treatment.

Personally, I would have to take it on a case by case basis, weighing the likelihood of the treatment to extend the animal's life and for how long, the animal's quality of life, and what areas would take a hit financially to be able to afford it. Would I spend $1000 for one more day with my dog? Probably not. For one more year? Definitely.

I took my animals with cancer as far as they could go, and I don't regret it because, not only did I have more time with them, I have the satisfaction of knowing I did all I could. I think I would feel guilty otherwise. And not feeling guilty is worth something too.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I find myself inclined to agree with your husband's friend. I love my Dogs and rescued both from the pound and have put quite a bit of money into keeping them happy and healthy. But honestly I could never spend that much on a procedure for a pet. I would have to say my limit on any one procedure would have to Be $500. My one dog is 13 yrs old and I have had her since she was a puppy but that being said I can not put my family in debt for a pet. Yes they add to a family but are in the end replaceable.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    You trying to get someone to talk you into it or talk you out of it? It's your dog and your money.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You trying to get someone to talk you into it or talk you out of it? It's your dog and your money.

Neither, I have already paid for the surgery and it is done, no regrets and it wasn't even a question in my mind when I found out the surgery was 95% likely to have him back to normal, he is only 5, not like he's 13, he is on the mend and doing very well. I just wanted to see what kind of devotion people have for their pets(not to mention debate club has grown a little stagnate with the topics lately) and how many look at them as just another object to own use and throw away when they become too much of a responsibility. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised that most of the responses I got were people that look at their pets as actually part of the family and not a temporary part until they become too much of a hassle for them.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Like I said on the other thread, it really depends on a lot of factors. Like why is the surgery being done and will it rectify the problem... and what is the recovery like. If the chances aren't great that it will cure them of whatever ailment and it's just going to require more surgeries, then probably not. While my pets are important, I don't have the emotional attachment to them to prolong their life for myself.

But again, I have had way too many beloved pets in my life come and go that I just do not set them equal to my child.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    We actually had this put to the test recently.

A few years ago, we adopted a shepherd mix from the local shelter. They guessed he was one or two at the time, which put him around 7 this year. At an initial checkup with a new vet, they found that his red blood cell count was dangerously low (the day before, he became extremely lethargic). It's a condition called Immune Mediate Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA), where basically, his body was still making red blood cells, but it was also destroying them too rapidly. It has a low survival rate, but he was otherwise healthy, so we took him to emergency care and got him a blood transfusion and started him on Prednisone and supplements. His red blood cell count bounced back greatly, but he started having trouble breathing, and the vet found "nodules" in his lungs. The suspicion was that he had cancer somewhere (which caused the initial IMHA), and being on the Prednisone (which suppresses the immune system) allowed it to spread to his lungs, but the theory was never confirmed. He ultimately died of a blood clot near his brain (instant, thankfully).

I've always been of the opinion that it's more cruel to prolong a life without regard to the quality of said life. This goes for human or non-human. I simply don't feel that death is the worst thing to happen to a being. It's a natural part of life, and a fate that we all eventually share. Prolonging a life for the sake of delaying death, even when the quality of life is non-existent, is, in my opinion, more cruel than just ending it humanely.

That doesn't make it an easy decision, though, we didn't want to lose him. We did the transfusion to give our dog a chance to recover, and had that been the only issue, he would have. He hated, with the passion of a thousand suns, vets and medical facilities, so had we had the time to find out it was cancer, or something that required a prolonged hospital stay, we would have said no and were planning to arrange for putting him down at home. At that point, he barely had the energy to climb stairs, and could barely breathe in general (much less after the effort of going up and down stairs, and because we live in a split-level house, going up stairs is required, unless you want to live on the landing, or outside). We decided that he had lived a long, happy (once we got him), full life, and that he was currently miserable and suffering, and was in for more suffering and misery had we tried to prolong his life for a highly questionable amount of time (the IMHA alone, typically only bought a couple months at best, and that was with higher starting levels than he had, let alone whatever it was that caused it).

One thing we found in light of this, though, was that pet insurance isn't a bad investment. We calculated it out and found that we would have paid less overall, had we had it even since the day we got him, because it would have covered everything. After what happened, it makes the idea of having health insurance for our pets seem far less absurd, especially since we're the type that are willing to do some amount of higher-cost care to give them a chance to recover.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I really would do anything for my pet. If he was so injured that he required surgery, I'd find a way to pay for it. He is my furbaby...which is why I take care of him. He goes in for annual wellness visits, he gets his shots; if he's sick, he goes to the vet. It was my decision to do because he is a huge part of my life and helped me through some things.

I understand that other side...I may not agree, but I understand it.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I raised an American bulldog from the time he was a puppy until the age of 3 when I had to put him down. Twice before he had swallowed something too large to digest (6 inch rope toys, ect.) I paid for the two surgeries to open him up and it cost me nearly 3,000 dollars combined. The third time he did it, we had a little in our savings account, but having started a family I decided that I couldn't put our household, now with children, at financial risk, and there was no guarantees that he would not continue finding strange things to swallow. I asked the vet if there was any way someone would adopt him and do the surgery ( vets sometimes do this) and she said no, so I put his head in my lap, had them administer the drugs, and cried my eyes out as he took his last breath. If I were a millionaire he would still be alive, but I'm not. I still miss that dog, but I felt that even though the decision I made was a painful one, it was the right one.

I'm a dog person, but not a DOG PERSON, and I think there is a difference. I have and will always love my pets, especially dogs because I think they are the only animal that has evolved along side humans and are our true companions, but there are times I think that we americans take our pet obsessions to the extreme. I guess I look at it this way...if the **** really hit the fan tomorrow, armeggedon, apocalypse, meteor strike, tidal waves, ect...and my family is starving, fido goes on the menu long before the humans, but that's just me.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've always been of the opinion that it's more cruel to prolong a life without regard to the quality of said life. This goes for human or non-human. I simply don't feel that death is the worst thing to happen to a being. It's a natural part of life, and a fate that we all eventually share. Prolonging a life for the sake of delaying death, even when the quality of life is non-existent, is, in my opinion, more cruel than just ending it humanely.

I share this opinion.

The choice to get a pet shouldn't be a frivolous one, they need dentist visits, vet visits, shots, food and a ton of other things. They get sick just like humans, they have accidents that require surgery and sometimes they develop conditions that require longer term care.

Pets are NOT cheap. They are family members and require much the same care as a small child. Yet so many people will just get a pet and do nothing else, no dentists, no vets, nothing extra..if the pet gets sick they put them down and just buy another one. The complete disrespect for life just makes me want to puke. If you aren't willing to take care of your animals then why get them at all? They are not just there for your amusement. I couldn't justify taking responsibility for a living creature and then NOT providing that creature the things that will allow it to remain comfortable and healthy. Getting a pet is like having a 3 yr old kid around ALL THE TIME. You need to keep things out of reach, close closets, place chemicals out of the way, make sure you don't have things laying around that can cause harm to them. If you choose not to do these things you are contributing to the death of that animal and having them put down because you can't afford to help them is the same to me as putting your child down because they keep choking on food when learning to eat.

If you aren't willing to take the responsibility, financial or otherwise please don't have pets OR kids.
  • adrian_indy
    Options

I share this opinion.

The choice to get a pet shouldn't be a frivolous one, they need dentist visits, vet visits, shots, food and a ton of other things. They get sick just like humans, they have accidents that require surgery and sometimes they develop conditions that require longer term care.

Pets are NOT cheap. They are family members and require much the same care as a small child. Yet so many people will just get a pet and do nothing else, no dentists, no vets, nothing extra..if the pet gets sick they put them down and just buy another one. The complete disrespect for life just makes me want to puke. If you aren't willing to take care of your animals then why get them at all? They are not just there for your amusement. I couldn't justify taking responsibility for a living creature and then NOT providing that creature the things that will allow it to remain comfortable and healthy. Getting a pet is like having a 3 yr old kid around ALL THE TIME. You need to keep things out of reach, close closets, place chemicals out of the way, make sure you don't have things laying around that can cause harm to them. If you choose not to do these things you are contributing to the death of that animal and having them put down because you can't afford to help them is the same to me as putting your child down because they keep choking on food when learning to eat.

If you aren't willing to take the responsibility, financial or otherwise please don't have pets OR kids.

So lets be frank...I am pretty sure after telling my story that a lot of what was just written was directed at me, and any pretense that it isn't is immature. You start off so reasonable. Vet trips, responsible ownership...all things that people who want to be responsible pet owners should do, things that my wife and I do for all of our adopted animals.

And then you begins the insanity. First and foremost...you make huge assumptions that in my scenario or others that steps were not taken to ensure the pets safety. They were, but when you have an animal that is as large as a grown man, the things he was able to swallow if he put his mind to it is endless. Branches, shoes, socks, toys, baseballs, who knows why he did it or why he developed the compulsion to do it, but even the most vigilant eye could not have kept an eye on him at all times. Accidents happen.

And secondly, and maybe more importantly, anyone, and I mean anyone, who equates the life of a dog to that of a child is insane. No debate. I have lost pets. My friends have lost pets. But anyone with once iota or perception or common sense can see the huge, epic differences between losing a pet and losing a child. Yes, I agree, pets are part of the family. But not the main parts. I have seen dead children, there parents grieving on the side of the road cradling their child's tattered body screaming their heads off and tearing their own faces with their nails. Equal? Not even close.

My best friend of 20 years just lost his one year old son to cancer. One year old. That funeral was unreal...and to think that American's can equate that sorrow with losing a pet shows how far removed from humanity some people are. Do I believe in dog fighting. Hell no. Do I believe in animal cruelty, absolutely not. Do I hunt, nope. I have no desire to ever kill anything needlessly. But when I hear stories of victims of natural disasters who are unwilling to give up their pets to make room in the rescue vehicles for other HUMANS, I also want to puke in my mouth.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    YOu guys are gonna hate me but I'm old school when it comes to pets.. I have a very tight budget as a single mom. If something happen to my cat that required 100 dollarsw or more of unexpected expenses then it would probably be bye bye kitty cat......

I had a friend spend 7000 dollars on her cat and then she didn't have grocery oney for her or her son.... sorry priorities
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    YOu guys are gonna hate me but I'm old school when it comes to pets.. I have a very tight budget as a single mom. If something happen to my cat that required 100 dollarsw or more of unexpected expenses then it would probably be bye bye kitty cat......

I had a friend spend 7000 dollars on her cat and then she didn't have grocery oney for her or her son.... sorry priorities

And that's the thing. I am more than willing to spend 100 bucks, but I don't judge because everyone's finances are different. But what the pet zealots amaze me at is their obsession to get every animal adopted.....and when you adopt them if you aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on them, not only are you a bad pet owner, you shouldn't have kids. Craziness.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

And that's the thing. I am more than willing to spend 100 bucks, but I don't judge because everyone's finances are different. But what the pet zealots amaze me at is their obsession to get every animal adopted.....and when you adopt them if you aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on them, not only are you a bad pet owner, you shouldn't have kids. Craziness.

I agree you can't really make a comparison based on a specific dollar amount because $100 is going to have different value to different people. I guess it would be more appropriate to talk about what you would be willing to spend in terms of a proportion of your income or savings, or what you would be willing to give up. But that seems to set up an "I'm a better/worse pet owner than you" comparison which isn't very helpful.

I really don't think there are a lot of zealots out there, there are people that fall at both extremes of the spectrum of course but most people are somewhere in the middle.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows me will say that any pet that lives with me has won life's lottery. I put up with a lot more than most people would - the dog is special needs and kind of a *kitten*, and my cats are all former feral strays, some still pretty shy and weird.

I've worked in a shelter. I've worked as a vet tech. I'm at once extremely compassionate, and almost cold-heartedly practical. As much as my pets mean to me, as much as I don't think they're "replaceable," there are so many homeless pets being euthanized every damn day that I don't think I could justify going to heroic measures to prolong one's life. Other than they had the good luck to wander into my yard, what makes my cats any more valuable than the ones getting an injection of pentobarbitol at the shelter? In the past seven years, I've lost three cats... and both my parents and a brother. The cats meant a lot to me, but they're not just like people.

I might not be willing or able to do major life-saving heroics for all my pets, but I know that I do everything in my power to keep them happy and safe.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    As much as my pets mean to me, as much as I don't think they're "replaceable," there are so many homeless pets being euthanized every damn day that I don't think I could justify going to heroic measures to prolong one's life. Other than they had the good luck to wander into my yard, what makes my cats any more valuable than the ones getting an injection of pentobarbitol at the shelter?

Interesting point. A friend of mine was fostering a very sick kitten that was born with a portosystemic shunt. The kitten was unlikely to be cured by a very expensive surgery but it was the only alternative to putting it down. My friend raised about $3000 on Facebook for the surgery and I know her husband raised the same point -- think of how many animals you could save with that money.

The thing is, emotion doesn't work that way. My dog is not inherently more valuable than any dog in the shelter, but it is the dog that I have a relationship with. It is the dog that I have an agreement with -- we look out for each other. I can't help every dog, but maybe I can be there for a few over the course of my life. It's no different with people -- my friends and family aren't inherently better people than someone across the world, but I certainly react differently when they are in trouble than if they were a stranger. I guess it is fundamentally a selfish impulse, because they are "mine".
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    As much as my pets mean to me, as much as I don't think they're "replaceable," there are so many homeless pets being euthanized every damn day that I don't think I could justify going to heroic measures to prolong one's life. Other than they had the good luck to wander into my yard, what makes my cats any more valuable than the ones getting an injection of pentobarbitol at the shelter?

Interesting point. A friend of mine was fostering a very sick kitten that was born with a portosystemic shunt. The kitten was unlikely to be cured by a very expensive surgery but it was the only alternative to putting it down. My friend raised about $3000 on Facebook for the surgery and I know her husband raised the same point -- think of how many animals you could save with that money.

The thing is, emotion doesn't work that way. My dog is not inherently more valuable than any dog in the shelter, but it is the dog that I have a relationship with. It is the dog that I have an agreement with -- we look out for each other. I can't help every dog, but maybe I can be there for a few over the course of my life. It's no different with people -- my friends and family aren't inherently better people than someone across the world, but I certainly react differently when they are in trouble than if they were a stranger. I guess it is fundamentally a selfish impulse, because they are "mine".

But here is another interesting point. How many children around the world could 3,000 dollars feed, cloth, ect? I love animals....but I am disturbed at how much money charities can raise for our furry friends when so many human charities are suffering. I'm not sure of the national totals, but I can speak from first hand experience that I have seen in one county, when they have their largest festival during the 4th of July and all of the charities are out collecting....The Humane Society not only out raises charities for the poor, homeless veterans, abused women and children and so on....it beats them all COMBINED. Sort of strange.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    But here is another interesting point. How many children around the world could 3,000 dollars feed, cloth, ect? I love animals....but I am disturbed at how much money charities can raise for our furry friends when so many human charities are suffering. I'm not sure of the national totals, but I can speak from first hand experience that I have seen in one county, when they have their largest festival during the 4th of July and all of the charities are out collecting....The Humane Society not only out raises charities for the poor, homeless veterans, abused women and children and so on....it beats them all COMBINED. Sort of strange.

Have you seen the Humane Society and SPCA commercials? It's a lot harder to say "no" to the puppy or kitten looking at you with big, sad eyes from inside a cage than it is to imagery of a woman with a black eye, or a homeless man with PTSD. That's not to say that the latter aren't sad, grave matters that should be attended to, but it's the simple fact that seeing young members of a given species (particularly our own, or a companion species) elicits a parental response from most people - that drive to protect and help. It's also why the "feed the world" type campaigns focus on the kids - there are starving adults in Africa, too, but starving kids are what raises the funds.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

That is an interesting point! Why do you think that is?

I see it as an issue of psychology rather than morality (reading between the lines of your posts I am guessing that you see the valuation of animal over human well-being as a moral issue, forgive me if that's incorrect). In regards to charitable donations, I wonder if a lot of it is very effective advertising as dragonwolf said. I also agree pets can elicit a maternal/paternal response. I think part of it is that the impulse to help is stronger if the situation is more concrete, so for instance studies have shown that people are more likely to donate to one specific child or family in need than they are to donate to "families in need" in general. So people may donate to help a specific kitten on FB, when otherwise they would not be donating that money at all (it's not like they're *not* donating to X charity solely because of the kitten). A picture of a dog or cat that looks like your dog or cat on an SPCA ad with the looming image of a gas chamber behind it will likely illicit a stronger impulse to donate than an image that is more foreign or outside the realm of your experience, no matter how worthy the other cause is.

In regards to companion animals, studies on the human-animal bond have shown how closely people relate to their pets and how much people value those relationships. Relationships with animals are much less complicated than our relationships with other people, involve much less judgement, criticism, and conflict and much more unconditional love.

Here are just a couple I found on a quick google search.

http://jeps.efpsa.org/article/view/jeps.ao/56
    http://www.petpartners.org/Document.Doc?id=147 (abstract only)

As I alluded to above, I'm not sure the animal charities are taking away from the human ones, or that people spending thousands of dollars on their animal should feel guilty for not donating to a homeless shelter instead. The money and the impulse to spend it is not interchangeable.