Love this site, but it DOESN'T account for nursing women!

Does anyone else get annoyed with the fact that this site doesn't account for nursing moms who need 500 cals more than non-nursing women?

When I track my eating, the site is warning me that I'm eating too much and that I'll gain weight. It's hard to keep motivation up when the food tracker can't factor in those extra calories. Do y'all just ignore it?

Replies

• EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    I know some people that just set their calories at 500 extra. But when you log your food you can enter "breast feeding" and it takes 500 off of your consumed calories...I think you can also log it as a workout
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    ^Agreed, I log it as a negative-500-calorie food, but others log it as exercise. I don't see it as being ignored; it's up to you to enter your own special circumstances that allow for additional calories.
  • memiller06
    memiller06 Posts: 3 Member
    I stopped using it while I was pregnant, but now I really want to get back in, not so much for weight loss, but I find that logging really helps me pay attention to what I eat and now more than ever, that can be hard to do! I am breastfeeding my 4 mo daughter (premie) as long as she'll let me and I constantly worry if we're both getting all the good stuff we need.

I'd love to see this site with it's nutrition guru calculators have a setting for pregnant/breastfeeding that helped you (and the system) adjust your intake while we're in Momma mode. Since they already have all the major details (height/weight/goals), "tailored" calorie recommendations shouldn't be that far off.

I also think it shouldn't be rocket science to try to account for breastfeeding. Regardless of your opinion on exercise, it's burning calories and that has to be considered. As I've looked around the site, there is no "right" way to log breast feeding, but many of you smart ladies have found a way to track something.

I'll keep reading and playing around here. It's great to see so many committed moms sharing information in this community.
  • phonerobot
    phonerobot Posts: 14 Member
    There is a feature now (I access it via breakfast option) that deducts and accounts for 400 calories of breastfeeding. It works perfectly.
  • bomoni
    bomoni Posts: 1
    hey I checked in the breakfast option for the breastfeeding and there were so many options! Do you have to add it each day or is there a way to have it stay on your profile?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    hey I checked in the breakfast option for the breastfeeding and there were so many options! Do you have to add it each day or is there a way to have it stay on your profile?

I do it every day. There are two ways you can do it. Either log it as a food that is -500 calories, or as an exercise. I prefer to log it as food, because your newsfeed always shows whichever exercise burned the most calories that day, which for me would always be breastfeeding.