Thanksgiving Dinner

Options
tawanda6329
tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
I'm looking for some ideas of things to cook this year. This will be my first Gluten free Thanksgiving.

My list so far:
-Duck
-Deviled eggs
-Cheesecake ????

Replies

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    We just do the standard fare but the Turkey no longer gets stuffed.
    Turkey, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, cranberry sauce, gravy made with cornstarch not flour, beets, and everyone but me gets fresh buns and stuffing. Stuffing is cooked in the crock pot so there is no cross-contamination.
    I make mini gf pies for myself, or we pick up gf cheese cake.

You could also do a pot roast or roast beef. I have found a recipie for really good GF yorkshire pudding/popovers if you want it. :smile:

Other suggestions:
    steak & rosemary roasted potatoes
    cabbage rolls
    Pirogie casserole & ham
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I found Kinnikinnick GF graham cracker crumbs through Amazon last year & made my pies with a graham cracker crust.

Green bean "casserole" is a tradition - which is just canned string beans, GF cream of mushroom soup (Progresso's is very good), and substituted the gluteny French fried onions by making my own using Glutino GF all purpose flour. That part was a little time consuming but they tasted like the glutened version.

Haven't had stuffing since going GF in Dec 2011 but I see where Rudi's or Udi's has come out with bread cubes for stuffing.

I have a cookbook that has a recipe for GF popover rolls so may try that this year - kind of miss having a dinner roll(s) with holiday meals.

Hubby doesn't care for turkey so I just buy a turkey breast & put it in the crock pot with some butter & spices; it turns out really moist! Okay, now I'm hungry! LOL
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Most Thanksgiving foods are gluten free, except for the stuffing and the pie crust. I'm planning to make a gluten free cornbread stuffing with chestnuts, and pie crust is something that works very well in gluten free versions. I'm not bothering with rolls. Thanksgiving has enough carbs already.
  • ElvisBaby88
    ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This will also be my first GF Thanksgiving!
    I am going to try the new Rudi's Stuffing Cubes to re-make my fabvorite sausage stuffing! I am also going to try GF Green Bean Casserole with the progresso mushroom soup!
    Other Favs are: sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie (pillsbury GF refridge. pie crust), and roasted brussels with feta & cran!
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Pilsbury GF pie crust before? I've seen it but haven't tried it yet.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for the last 3 holidays -- no more stuffing the turkey. Instead, I do a Martha Stewart wild rice/sausage dish that I can't get enough of! - and it reheats well, I can eat it for days afterwards.

http://www.marthastewart.com/312635/wild-rice-dressing?autonomy_kw=wild
  • ElvisBaby88
    ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    KariD, I have used it...for chicken pot pie! It was light, flaky and quite yummy (I only used 1/2 of the pie crust for the chicken pot pie). I am interested to see how it works on an actually pie...the only problem I had was rolling it out without it tearing/falling apart when I placed it on top of my casserole dish! But I managed and it was still good!
  • NoMeat101
    Options
    I'm gluten free... AND vegetarian.... So not much choice for me! This is also my first Thanksgiving here in the US... (Originally from Australia)

My family here does the big Thanksgiving thing, but there won't be really anything at all for me to eat! My sister here is also kind of gluten free - she has issues with gluten but likes it way too much to properly give it up all together.... But I'm hoping to make a gluten free pumpkin pie, that'll be my whole meal I guess!
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    This will also be my first fully GF thanksgiving. In fact I have become so sensitive to gluten that we are not going to family members house so that I can avoid cross contamination (my aunt and mother think its a joke...fad). I have been researching recipes for a while now and cook at home a lot. We live in the boonies and only cook "clean" (no processed or boxed/canned things). We are having :
    -Turkey
    -Stuffing (made my own bread cubes with GF bread, homemade stock, onions, carrots, celery, garlic and fresh sage/seasonings)
    -Mashed taters (with roasted garlic)
    -Gravy (thickened with corn starch with homemade broth)
    -Green bean casserole (making the crunchy onions with GF AP flour and home made mushroom soup)
    -Roasted sweet potatoes (cubed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper,rosemary, butter and pure maple syrup topped w/ chopped pecans)
    -Pumpkin Pie with this crust (http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2009/11/pie-crust-gluten-free-refined-71210/)
    -Apple Crisp with GF oats
    -Dinner roles will be made by this recipe (http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/11/gluten-free-dairy-free-soft-dinner-rolls-recipe.html)

Good Luck Everyone!!
    p.s. I redo and experiment with a lot of gf cooking so friend me and ask if you have any questions :)
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I found a gluten free pie crust at the grocery store. I'm going to try a sweet potato pie instead of the cheese cake.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can make GF stuffing. What I do is buy the GF bread, Schaars is a good brand to try, cause its pretty well stale already. Cut it into cubes, and pop in the over to toast it. Then just use it to make your dressing as normal. (This is also a good way to make bread crumbs for binding in meat balls and meat loaf just run cubes thru the food processor to make into crumbs)
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For stuffing, I've either used the recipe on the back of the Bell's seasoning box and used Udi's bread, or I've made cranberry and cornbread stuffing from my own recipe. Very tasty either way! Also, corn starch for the gravy (or just leave it jus style).

I also make a crustless, dairy-free pumpkin custard instead of pie.

Everything else is naturally gluten free.

I do two Thanksgivings a year ("Friendsgiving" and actual Thanksgiivng), and there has never been a complaint about my cooking from anyone. :)
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is my first GF Thanksgiving as well....there's only two of us so we're having:

short ribs (may have a turkey as well)
    corn bread dressing (using Pamela's mix)
    baked mac & cheese
    green beans
    Udi's rolls
    sweet potato cobbler or crisp (will give Pillsbury GF crust a try)

I'm still getting the hang of being GF and have fallen many times.

I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!!!!