What would you like to see in a startup program?

Options
I am looking at developing an Optimal Wellness 40 day program for my clients. I run a Traditional Chinese Medicine clinic and feel that people would benefit from a local, moderated and supported group challenge as an intro to a healthy i.e Primal lifestyle. I have some ideas and would like to provide local support. There is lots of info on the web but it can lead to overload and also is often not relevant to us locally.
I am looking for feedback on what you would liked have to seen or have access to that would have helped you get started or be successful with your paleo/primal journey.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The info in Primal Blueprint, Marksdailyapple.com (especially the testimonials), and the Whole30 and Whole9 websites were what I found the most helpful, along with the people here on this board.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Remembering way back when I started I think some simple quick recipes and plenty of good breakfast ideas would have been great. There's heaps of that kind of info out there but it can get confusing when you are new and probably easier if there were a couple of weeks of menus already thought out for you (with options) without having to wade through tons of internet stuff. Also a big warning about subbing paleo stuff into what is essentially still junk food - too easy to still load up on sugars with paleo baking which just won't help kick the sugar habit. Break those food habits and that way of thinking. Hope that helps :-)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Remembering way back when I started I think some simple quick recipes and plenty of good breakfast ideas would have been great. There's heaps of that kind of info out there but it can get confusing when you are new and probably easier if there were a couple of weeks of menus already thought out for you (with options) without having to wade through tons of internet stuff. Also a big warning about subbing paleo stuff into what is essentially still junk food - too easy to still load up on sugars with paleo baking which just won't help kick the sugar habit. Break those food habits and that way of thinking. Hope that helps :-)

^This. I really dislike Paleo substitutes, for instance, breads and baked goods. If something is still full of sugar (honey, etc) or contains cups of ground nuts, it still is not "healthy". I fell into the Paleo baked goods a bit when I started out, but knowing that being ketogenic is what I need made me call myself out pretty quick. Some of my friends are really into Paleo sweets, and while a few are athletic and healthy, others are struggling. I still get tempted with the Paleo granola bars I make for my child. Only 10-13 grams of carbs per serving and it's still too much for me (not for her). The main point of Paleo is to eat whole foods and be healthy. I'm not fully healthy eating Paleo substitutes since craving and over-indulging is NOT part of optimal health.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest objections I hear from people is the cost and convenience of a primal diet. Convenience is easy enough to overcome, cost takes a bit more work. If you could put together some information regarding local sources, general cost comparisons (beyond the whole money on food now beats medical costs later), and some planned menus/recipes.

Finally, one of the core concepts that is often overlooked (but was brought up above) is self awareness. I know this is big in your field, so a good primer on how to manage food sensativity (take away, then reintroduce and assess) should be well received.
  • suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A short, concise and to the point of "whys" to foods. Not just "this is bad, this is good" but a short explanation why. Like a quick guide to print off and hand out. I feel like if someone doesn't know why they are doing something, it is easy to go back to what they did before.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A short, concise and to the point of "whys" to foods. Not just "this is bad, this is good" but a short explanation why. Like a quick guide to print off and hand out. I feel like if someone doesn't know why they are doing something, it is easy to go back to what they did before.

This makes sense :bigsmile:
  • novaris2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, it helps confirm the ideas I was working on.
    @susk007, yes I really agree some info on the whys is important, both for foods and lifestyle choices.
    @AllanMisner, one of the issues we have is we are in Australia and so much of the information is on products not easily found here. One idea I have is to provide group bulk purchases from wholesale suppliers. The program will also help work the participants through the reintroduction (or not) of some foods.
    @akimajuqtuk & primalkiwi, I think that the whole trend to substitute foods tends to miss the mark. It is useful to propose some alternatives that achieve a useful purpose i.e. cauliflower rice to carry the flavour of juices and sauces maybe nori or vine leaves to act as a wrap, but so much of it is really just an excuse to feed the sweet tooth.
    I agree there is some really good sites and will include them in the references. It's also true that there are many view points and sometimes old information out their. I really want to give a good grounding and help them to learn how to filter the good from not so good. At the moment I see the program as a 6-7 week challenge, first week preparation, about 4 weeks in a strict phase and 1-2 weeks on reintroduction of some foods. I also hope to have some tasting and food introduction days to let them try some of the more out there (for non primal eaters) foods i.e fermented, raw and organ tissue.

thanks again for all your input.