Friendship & Intro Thread

Options

Replies

• tlanello2013
    Options
    Hi! It's nice to see women that are going through the same difficulties that I have had to deal with. I was diagnosed in my twenties and was up and down for years with my medication and weight. It was horrible. Two moths before I turned fourty I had to have a complete thyroidectomy. My thyroid was fused to my vocal cord and they found nodules as well. Luckily they weren't cancerous. It has been a tough road since that day.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Kayli and I was diagnosed w/ Hypothyroidism around 3 years ago. I am on 75 mcg of levothyroxine. I have been having trouble with losing weight but for the last few months I think it's been mostly MY fault. I need to be more focused on eating better and get my head in the game with working out.

I would LOVE to hear success stories. I have been feeling more tired lately but that could definitely be because I haven't been working out. I have finally got myself up and working out again so if it continues I will be calling my doctor for a blod test! If anybody would like to add me feel free!
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Yam, I am 57 years old living in Argentina.
    I Have the Hashimoto disease too and I am going from severe Hypo to Hyper....I am in a closer treatment from an Endo doctor fighting to find the right dosage but... I am going from 175 mg to 200 mg of the medicine every few months...I am suffering from Hypo from ever ...and one part of my Thiroid was removed when I was 27... I can gain a lot of weight very fast, very very fast, but I can lose weight, more slowly now because I also have insulin resistance. :cry:

We all need to find the right professional, as the weight is NOT the only side effect of our disease! :grumble:
  • shdenby
    shdenby Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello all I just joined MFP a couple of days ago and I am so excited to find this group!! I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 14 years ago :/ I've had a really hard time keeping my levels normal and last year the doctor basically said well take if for a year and we'll see then. . . My appointment is on the 9th. My last panel my TSH level was a 16 and I've just felt worse and worse. I am sooo exhausted all of the time which makes it even harder to workout. I am really hoping to get my levels normal because I can definitely tell a difference.
  • jsinclair31
    jsinclair31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jennifer and I am 33 years old. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 2 1/2 years ago right after I had my son. I am currently on 88mcg of Levothyroxine and my levels have been stable for over 7 months now. I worked extremely hard to lose weight and I did get down to 127 lbs last summer I am 5'7'. Since January of this year I have put on 10lbs and no matter what I do I can't seem to loose it. My levels were tested again in may and the dr said they were in the normal rage and I don't need to come back until November. I have been running 3 miles three times a week and doing strength training with weights and core training three days a week and still no results. I'm so glad I found this group because right now I need all the support and motivation I can get!!:smile:
  • Chris2112Fair
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease about 2 years ago, but I think that I have had it for a long time. I had my daughter in 2002 and shortly after that I started having panic attacks and gaining weight. There was one year that I would not even leave my yard or house at all. It was a very hard time for myself and my family, to say the least. About 2 years ago, my husband said "Enough is enough". I was ill all the time, just did not feel well, could not think, could not really function and he took me to the Dr. They checked all my lvls and told me what I had was Hashimoto's. They wanted an ultrasound and I had that done within the same month and then a biopsy as well. A month or so later they said that I have possible cancer specs on my thyroid. I went home and talked to my husband and scheduled surgery. I did not want to have to continue with having a biopsy every other month till they found something worse. July 17th, 2012 I had a full thyroid removal. I have been on Levo since, but they did not tell me how hard life would be!
    I can not control my temp and still have what my Mom and I call "Thyroid days". I could not lose weight either. I just went to a nutritionist and I do feel better about my chances!
    I have come to understand that carbs are not my friends! Those rolls with dinner are just talking behind my back. The bread I used to have with lunch was saying mean things to my hips, and the pasta I loved...never loved me back.
    I guess it is just hard work now. It is easy to gain weight, but hard to take it back off...that is life though.
    Motivation is not a friend of mine either, so maybe me telling my story here, will be like someone else and we can motivate each other.
  • quiettpeaches
    quiettpeaches Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am 28 and live in Indiana. I started using MyFitnessPal a week ago and so far so good! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November 2012. I have three masses and a cyst on my thyroid that are being monitored but so far all is well. Before that I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, but have had the symptoms since I was 16 and no one could tell me what was wrong with me. My weight has always been a roller coaster but it seems now with both of these that its more of daily struggle than anything. I have recently been struggling with my self image and decided it was time to take action!! So, here I am! :)
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi Everone!

I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything....yet. However, my endocrinologist showed me my "moth eaten" thyroid and took a biopsy of a nodule, which came back negative. So far, my levels are in the normal range, but I fully suspect that Hashimoto's is what I will be diagnosed with (thanks Mom). I go in for a re-check in January.

Regardless of the diagnosis, health is of utmost importance to me and I want to make sure that I am working with my body, not against it.
  • KatOls49
    KatOls49 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hello All!!
    I am Katrina and I am 28 yrs old. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2006 and started out at 88mcg of Levothyroxin and they finally got my levels normalized with 137mcg of Levothyroxin. Since 2004, I gained over 100 pounds and most of that was in 2005 and then again in 2008. I am only 5'2 and weight over 200 pounds! This is also not good for my poor knees. Since my medication has been stabilized, I have more energy but because I weigh so much I still get fatigued quickly with exertion but atleast I am not sleeping all the time as I was before.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! Just joined MFP a few weeks ago when the doc told me that it was NOT my thyroid medication that was causing my weight gain and low energy levels. Here to figure out what I was doing wrong (I've already learned to stop finishing baby's food on top of my own dinner). I'm 38, had a baby early last year. At my 6 week check-up, my doctor found nodules on my thyroid. Had a total thyroidectomy last August, radiation this past February, a promising follow-up ultrasound a few weeks ago that showed nothing but some funny scar tissue. Thus begins my life without a thyroid.

Nice to meet you all.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've got come from at least 5 generations of autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and have finally decided that I need to do something about the yoyo'ing.
    I find that I crave carbs and those buggers make me pack on the pounds at an alarming weight!
    So now its time to commit to choosing protein and fiber-rich veggies (even whole grains go to my butt) over the yummy sweet stuff.
    So wish me luck & since I new, I'm open to any advice from the successful!

-aha
  • flame65
    Options
    Hello all ,
    Just found that I have hypothyroidism, in June....Doc didn't give me much info, just meds :/
  • Goodjaz50
    Goodjaz50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I was diagnosed about a year ago with hypothyroid. I've been following a paleo diet (no gluten or grains) for about 10 months now. I also went from doing no exercise for the last 50 years to exercising 5-7 times/week (Zumba and HIIT). But the weight loss has been super slow - averaging about a pound a week but there are times where I go up and down the same 5 pounds week after miserable week, and then I drop 7 or 8 in one week. And then nothing for several more weeks. Very frustrating. I joined this community to see if the hypothyroid could be the reason behind my slow loss and if so, how others deal with it. - Jennifer (goodjaz50)
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am finally stabilized (for now) at 112 Synthroid. Both my parents have hypothyroidism and I have hashimoto's. I've had 2 needle biopsies but thankfully both came back negative. Weight isn't my biggest issue...it's feeling tired all the time (even when I get enough sleep) and thus feeling more moody. My doctor is great at the clinical side of things...but not really the "patient" side of things...so I'm considering trying a different endo.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Hi all,

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am finally stabilized (for now) at 112 Synthroid. Both my parents have hypothyroidism and I have hashimoto's. I've had 2 needle biopsies but thankfully both came back negative. Weight isn't my biggest issue...it's feeling tired all the time (even when I get enough sleep) and thus feeling more moody. My doctor is great at the clinical side of things...but not really the "patient" side of things...so I'm considering trying a different endo.

Hi Callie! I was tired all the time on Synthroid as well and my endo was convinced that the dosage was correct. Everyone is different but since my problem was solved in this very forum, I thought I'd share... I learned that I was not taking the pill properly. People here yelled at me to drink more water when I took the pill and well, for me, that was exactly what the problem was. I started drinking a full glass of water with the pill (plus waiting a full hour before eating) and my energy level rose considerably. I'm eternally grateful to these guys.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Hi Callie! I was tired all the time on Synthroid as well and my endo was convinced that the dosage was correct. Everyone is different but since my problem was solved in this very forum, I thought I'd share... I learned that I was not taking the pill properly. People here yelled at me to drink more water when I took the pill and well, for me, that was exactly what the problem was. I started drinking a full glass of water with the pill (plus waiting a full hour before eating) and my energy level rose considerably. I'm eternally grateful to these guys.

Thanks...I will definately need to try that....I was not told to drink a full glass of water and I've only waited 30 minutes before eating. :)
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks...I will definately need to try that....I was not told to drink a full glass of water and I've only waited 30 minutes before eating. :)

Oh I hope that was the answer for you too! I can't tell you what a difference that made in me.
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello all ,
    Just found that I have hypothyroidism, in June....Doc didn't give me much info, just meds :/

You're not alone in this. My doctor tested me (even though he looked at me like I was nuts when I asked) because both of my parents have hypothyroidism. When the results came back, he said it was severe, but I've never been given actual numbers, just an increase in my meds. Last time I went in (about three weeks ago), he told me my levels were much better and I must be feeling great! Umm... negative. Now I have a referral to an endocrinologist but still have two weeks until my initial appointment.
  • myturningpoint
    Options
    Hi... I've started a diet at least a few dozen times. Trying to get things under control here before it's too late. I have hypothyroidism, and IDK what else. I think I have PCOS and gluten intolerance. My biggest problem is probably either binge eating or giving up for long periods of time. I could use some friends who might nudge me here and there to keep going.
  • determined2run
    determined2run Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to the group but have been using MFP for about a month now. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 2 years ago and wow what a roller coaster ride. I am looking for support and to help support others with thyroid issues. Please feel free to add me as a friend! :flowerforyou: