Chafing

Options
Ok so I have been reading and talking to a friend who ran a half marathon and said he suffered from Chafing. I was wondering what gear do you guys recommend I should buy for my Half Marathon racing to help me avoid Chaffing? I have never suffered from it but than again I have not ran long distances. In my training I have ran 8 and 9 miles this weekend I will be to the 10 mile mark.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your friend is a he, so his chafing problem might not be your chafing problem ;)

The few times I've had to deal with it, I was reactive and just used diaper cream but YMMV
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You will go a long way to avoiding it by not wearing clothes with any friction and making sure your clothes are wicking fiber like dri-fit. I can't wear traditional "running shorts" because they are too loose and rub against my skin. If you wear running tights or capris, skirts with tight shorts underneath, that kind of thing, you should be fine there. Make sure your bra is as tight as comfortably possible. For extra protection, you can use chamois cream, Body Glide, or other products like that in key areas - where your shirt sleeves rub your underarms or upper arms; where you wear an arm band; bra straps; between your legs; think creatively. :laugh:
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Its not always the long distances that get ya and you never know where or where its going to sneak up. I chafed on my "short" 6 mile run on Tuesday in a pair of shorts that I have never chafed in before. I apply body glide to the likely areas (chub rub near my thighs). Capri's fix this issue if its cold enough.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Your friend is a he, so his chafing problem might not be your chafing problem ;)

The few times I've had to deal with it, I was reactive and just used diaper cream but YMMV

Well Doug, I think her friend very well may have been a she since this was my biggest drama from my October half.

My problem was my running skirt. I've worn it on dozens of runs including 1 16-miler. But then I gained a bunch of weight due to over eating caused by an increase in appetite due to an increase in base mileage. So the skirt fits differently now and the legs on the shorts were shifting while I ran. I anticipated the problem and intended to slather my body with aquaphor before, but I forgot. The race was kind of awful from mile 6 on.

On my next long run after that I had the problem again on the outside of my leg because of a seam that wasn't a problem until I gained the weight.

So for Sunday's HM the plan is to cover myself from head to toe in aquaphor and wear my seamless capris.

And Doug is right about the diaper rash cream. I use triple paste every 3 hours after the fact, clears it right up.

So skin protectent and shorts that don't move or capris or pants and you should be fine.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use bodyglide. Seriously love that stuff.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Anything over ~13 miles I wear a compression shirt. Normal running shorts with a liner are usually ok, if they don't have a liner I wear compression shorts under the shorts.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My chafing is actually from sweaty, wet clothing rubbing against my skin, not actually skin rubbing together. I use good old vasoline petroleum jelly, which some people say makes it worse, but not me. I use it in the crease of my thigh where my undies rub, where my bra rubs, and on my quads where my shorts rub in front.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I try and wear clothes with as few seams as possible and if I'm going out for a long run I body glide anywhere where my clothes might rub my skin. But I seem to always miss a spot or two which becomes painfully aware as soon as I get into the shower.:sad:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My issue is always on the inside of my arms when I wear tank tops. The underarm seams rub against my biceps (they are not as bulging as this makes them sound, I think I just hold my arms too close to my body). I have luckily not had issues anywhere else! I don't really like wearing sleeves when I run, but I'm thinking I may have to get used to it.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    gold bond anti friction stick FTMFGDW.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Typically 8 or 9 miles would of produced any issues if they were going to happen...but the best general rule to stick by is: NEVER wear anything new on race day. NO new clothes, shoes, underwear, etc... Once that issue starts, its going to be hell for 13.1 or 26.2
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Yes he is a he and that is what he said LOL!!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You will go a long way to avoiding it by not wearing clothes with any friction and making sure your clothes are wicking fiber like dri-fit. I can't wear traditional "running shorts" because they are too loose and rub against my skin. If you wear running tights or capris, skirts with tight shorts underneath, that kind of thing, you should be fine there. Make sure your bra is as tight as comfortably possible. For extra protection, you can use chamois cream, Body Glide, or other products like that in key areas - where your shirt sleeves rub your underarms or upper arms; where you wear an arm band; bra straps; between your legs; think creatively. :laugh:

Great information to have thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Well Doug, I think her friend very well may have been a she since this was my biggest drama from my October half.

My problem was my running skirt. I've worn it on dozens of runs including 1 16-miler. But then I gained a bunch of weight due to over eating caused by an increase in appetite due to an increase in base mileage. So the skirt fits differently now and the legs on the shorts were shifting while I ran. I anticipated the problem and intended to slather my body with aquaphor before, but I forgot. The race was kind of awful from mile 6 on.

On my next long run after that I had the problem again on the outside of my leg because of a seam that wasn't a problem until I gained the weight.

So for Sunday's HM the plan is to cover myself from head to toe in aquaphor and wear my seamless capris.

And Doug is right about the diaper rash cream. I use triple paste every 3 hours after the fact, clears it right up.

So skin protectent and shorts that don't move or capris or pants and you should be fine.

Actually it is a He LOL!! maybe he called it wrong but he had problems on his nipples I know TMI and other areas.

Thanks for the information I have to make sure I buy the clothe I am going to wear for my HM and start training in it a couple of weeks before.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I try and wear clothes with as few seams as possible and if I'm going out for a long run I body glide anywhere where my clothes might rub my skin. But I seem to always miss a spot or two which becomes painfully aware as soon as I get into the shower.:sad:

Ouch that does sound painful
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Typically 8 or 9 miles would of produced any issues if they were going to happen...but the best general rule to stick by is: NEVER wear anything new on race day. NO new clothes, shoes, underwear, etc... Once that issue starts, its going to be hell for 13.1 or 26.2

Thanks, yeah I am thinking of buying several items of clothe that I may wear for the HM and start using them prior to the race just to make sure they are not going to cause any issues
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I use bodyglide. Seriously love that stuff.

I only found out about Bodyglide a few months back, it has turned out to be an absolutely excellent product.

I was getting chaffing and scarring from my HRM strap, Bodyglide stopped all that and during my last half marathon, I didn't even have one tiny red mark from the strap and I had been sweating during the race quite a lot.

I did get a blister on my toe during that race though, so next time I am going to try Bodyglide on that area and see if it works.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The worst chafing I experience is from my HR monitor (even with bodyglide). I finally found a sports bra that prevents it from moving and I went out and bought two more of them.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i like to use A&D ointment. Easy to find and cheap, and great to help prevent chafing or help if you have it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide before. Triple paste after. I chafed in a place I didn't know was possible after my half - you never know until the shower after. Luckily women don't tend to have nipple chafing problems. Those seem to be the worst.