Just starting out - how much carbs (g)?

Options
hanab1987
hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
Hi guys, I've just joined this group as I'm just about to start on keto. I just wanted to ask a quick question about how much carbs is generally allowed in grams? I know roughly 5% of calories is advisable from what I've read but how much in grams does that equate to? Is about 30g per day too much?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is different for everybody for what I understand but to kick your body into ketosis usually it's preferable to stay under 20g of carbs per day to begin with :)
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

Usually, in keto the carbs are kept at 20g or less. But you can change the food diary settings in MFP and it will calculate it for you.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    20g for me is in between 5 and 10%. I have my macro set for 10, which comes out to 30g but I make a point to come in under 20.
  • hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks guys :)

5% puts me at 16g so I will go with that but not worry if I go a couple of grams over!
  • Sheened
    Sheened Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi this was my first week and i came out at 21g a day and aiming for 20g.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5% as well, coming in at about 19-25g a day. I don't count fiber.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to do 20g and under (with a calory intake of around 1500 calories) but my digestive system didn't really like it, so now I'm usually just under 30g per day and it's working fine :) I make sure my carbs come mostly from things like oat cakes :)