Cream for your Coffee?

Options
ericasturn
ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
I love coffee!! I like cream in it. I have given up my chemically enhanced sugar free french vanilla deliciousness and went to organic half and half. There is so much fat in that. Should I be concerned with it? Changing the mentality of too much fat, too much sugar ~ but ~ it is organic and should help your body function better to eat foods not processed. I get lost in my own mind sometimes............

So what do you do? Cream half & half no coffee? (not sure I can do that yet) Help!!

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I dropped the dairy, use a teaspoon of coconut oil in black coffee.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I still do organic half and half. I tried dropping it, doing assortment of other things (coconut oil, coconut milk creamer) but it was not the same. I did try to drop coffee altogether but that didn't work either.
  • CatieBeth85
    CatieBeth85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A little coconut oil, a little almond milk, a little agave. YUM!!
  • hmoberly
    hmoberly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So my views are largely controversial to society but here we go...

I wouldn't be concerned at all. When looking at clean eating, I wouldn't go free/reduced fat unless that's just how a product naturally comes. Places tend to replace the fat with "other" stuff which is probably NOT real. Then your body has a harder time breaking it down.

I look at dairy like beef, eaten in moderation, but anything you eat in excess is not going to be good for you, clean or not. Just keep a balance but I also believe keep it REAL if at all possible.
  • JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Over time, I have learned to like my coffee black. I can even enjoy an Americano black now. I agree with hmoberly. Real sugar and real products are... Real. While I am new to the clean eating thing, I thought that part of the point was to keep it real. So, yeah. Not a lot of sugar, salt, dairy, However when I have it, I have it real.
  • ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There is a great coconut creamer. It has fat, but it is healthy fat.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ohh and did you try replacing the creamer with green tea?
  • thereallucylastix
    thereallucylastix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great but I'd stick with cream if I were you. Not all fat is bad and depriving yourself of something you love just makes it a grind. And I agree with JEnDetermined - keep it real....

As for sugar, I've switched to xylitol which is a completely natural sugar alternative without any nasties in it - and it tastes just like sugar!
  • emberlea1
    emberlea1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, just because a product is organic doesn't mean it isn't processed. Peace & Love!
  • emberlea1
    emberlea1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee 8 months ago, switched to green tea with lemon! Delicious!!!!:happy:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Depends how much half and half you're using. Studies are saying now a little dairy fat in your day is good. You have to decided how much in your day is OK. I like to keep mine under 25 grams and I'll sometimes add a little creamer and I mean a little. 1 tablespoon.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    One of my exceptions for my "no dairy" rule (other than very small amounts of real butter) is 2 tablespoons of real cream in a mug of coffee in the morning. I'm the same as someone else said, I've tried alternatives but nothing else tastes good to me.

Here's what I do, I keep a measuring spoon that is 1 tablespoon size beside my coffee set up specifically to measure the cream.

I make sure not to brew my coffee too strong so that the 2 tablespoons of cream gets it creamy enough to make me happy. When I'm out at hotels and such I sometimes have to dilute their coffee half with water if it's really strong so that the 2 tablespoons of cream work well enough. That's a little less than 3 of those little plastic creamer containers they put out.. I measured lol. When I'm traveling I splurge and just use the 3 little plaster container's worth.

At home I use Luzziane coffee with chicory as it seems milder on my system to me than regular coffee, but it also seems to be stronger in flavor in the sense that it takes me less of it to brew a cup that tastes strong enough. So it saves me money at the grocery store because I go through it slower than I do 8 o clock brand which I also like.

I brew my coffee using one of those reusable Melitta filter gizmos with a #2 filter and use a mug that holds a cup and a half. So my coffee never gets cooked.. just brewed straight into the cup. I use 1 and a half teaspoons of the coffee grinds per 1 and a half cups water and the 2 tablespoons cream.

Comes out perfect to my taste buds and fits into my plan. I just limit it to the one cup usually, 2 at most.. if I only have the one cup of coffee then after breakfast have a black tea.. and cut off my caffeine consumption for the day at that point. 2 cups of caffeine beverage a day is my general rule.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use unpasteurized, unhomogenized, full cream milk. Real as it gets!

I do log every cup though, as I tend to like about 1/2 cup of milk per cup of coffee. Not logging all those calories caused me some drama earlier, but now I know if I want my coffee I have to leave enough calories in the day to have it.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm on team black coffee. It was an acquired taste at first, but learning to love black coffee is one of the best things I've done for my health. When you love black coffee you get your boost, with all the health benefits, sans calories. Give black coffee a chance!
  • StacieJones0385
    StacieJones0385 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use my full fat organic half and half... and it is DELICIOUS! If you are doing everything else clean and little bit of cream is not going to throw you off track... eventually if this is the only thing left in your diet that is "bad" your body will start to crave something different.... but while you are making all these changes, the creamisnt going to hurt...
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Don't have coffee often, but when I do I use it as an opportunity to have a glass of milk. I have 8 ounces of milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of my cold brew concentrate. Then I'll add 1/2 tsp of honey. Hits the spot. Tastes like a latte to me.
  • Sweet_C_Smiles
    Sweet_C_Smiles Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, just because a product is organic doesn't mean it isn't processed. Peace & Love!

Glad someone said it! LOL!
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Occasionally half-and-half, occasionally (I hate to even admit this -- please forgive me) non-fat non-dairy creamer, but most often I just drink it black.

Some dig the bulletproof coffee - coffee with butter (non-monsanto- organic/ghee etc.). Bulletproof coffee combines fresh brewed coffee with pastured grass fed butter (e.g. Kerry Gold) with MCT Oil (Medium Chain Tryglycerides, which is fancy for a fat that you use relatively quickly for energy and brain function). I know people that swear by it for performance/energy. I still take my coffee black.