Heavy lifting

Options
samhradh
samhradh Posts: 297 Member
Hi All,
I am starting a strength training program at the gym this week, have any of you ladies that are optimal used this type of exercise to increase muscle, tone and loose weight?
I have been doing well over the last couple of months and lost 30lbs by just doing gentle exercise, -Aqua aerobics, pilates and a few kettlebell classes.
Things need to step up a gear to achieve my ultimate goal of 147lbs with another 40lbs to go to get there.
I intend to take thing slowly as i believe that it could take up to a year to shift the rest of this weight.
I am feeling well enough to take on this challenge but am a little bit scared in case i over stress the adreanels.
Do you have any tips additional supplements that may help, nutrition will be key to maintaining the strength to do this type of training.

Replies

• shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I've been lifting since Feb, but I was already in maintenance by that point, so wasn't really looking at it as a weight loss tool, but just for strength and toning. I've really enjoyed it and only seen positive benefits from it - nothing compares to the definition you'll get from lifting. As far as nutrition goes, I mainly focused on ensuring that I was getting enough protein throughout the day. At first, I used protein shakes and whatnot, but after discovering that most of them have a lot of unnecessary ingredients and some are even contaminated (see Consumer Lab), I dropped all of the supplements and just get my protein via meats/dairy/nuts, etc.