FINAL WEEK! However, I'm concerned!

Options
I am currently in my final week of C25K and can run for a solid 30 minutes with no issues. However, my distance for this is right around 2.4 miles (average pace around 12:30-13:00 depending on how tired I am). I am running my VERY FIRST 5K on Thanksgiving and don't want to do ANY walking whatsoever. I am obviously going to have to keep adding time every week and get up to more time/faster pace.

So, how did you bridge that gap between what distance you finish C25K and what an actual 5K is? I know that a lot of people can probably run less than a 10 minute mile but not this girl!

Thanks in advance for advice!

Replies

• jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just asked the same question in my other thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1133078-so-yeah-week-7?page=1#posts-17596466

that is the strategy I am going with. Curious to what you think. I hadn't gotten any replies yet. I think all the C25k vets left the group for the C210k =)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wasn't running the full 5K when I finished the program. It probably took me another month to get there but I also wasn't pushing myself to be ready for a race. If you want to get there I'm sure you will!!! The excitement of the race itself will also give you an extra push that day :) Have fun :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I added more time. Surprisingly, once you pass 30 minutes of running, you can add time fairly easily. You only need to add 0.7 miles to your distance......roughly 9 minutes. You can do this.

(that's really good time, by the way. I took 50 minutes to run my first 5K)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You should be able to finish the 5k...it'll probably take you a little more than 30 minutes though. Don't sweat the "not walking" part. If you have to walk, it's no big deal. However, you probably won't as long as you take it slow.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You'll be so excited to have ran for thirty minutes in your first race you won't want to walk! I am always more motivated to keep going at an event. I think you've got this!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    ^^^ This. After 30 minutes, you'll see the finish line and you'll totally start sprinting. DO NOT underestimate race day magic.
  • Slrajr
    Options
    ^^^ This. After 30 minutes, you'll see the finish line and you'll totally start sprinting. DO NOT underestimate race day magic.

I love I!! "Race day magic". !!! I'm going to use that expression all the time now:). It's sooo true!
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually got runner's high today and was able to run for 40 minutes straight/ 3.2 miles!!! YAY!
  • Slrajr
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually got runner's high today and was able to run for 40 minutes straight/ 3.2 miles!!! YAY!

Fantastic!!:). You've got this. I regret not running today now, like I intended to.
  • likitisplit
    Options

That is so awesome! Good for you!