not another "What's the best fitness tracker?" thread

Options
kistockman
kistockman Posts: 80 Member
I've been on maintenance for quite a few months after losing my last 10 lbs. With the help of MFP, yoga, Jazzercise 5-6 x/week, I really see little threat of gaining it all back. I'm still tracking on MFP and exercising regularly. Still I think I would like to get a fitness tracker.

I've not used one to get to where I am but feel not knowing the more accurate numbers (if anyone here does Jazzercise, you know MFP grants so little in the number of calories burned), I'm sort of concerned I'll simply slide our of what's been a pretty good fitness stretch. For instance, I've noticed myself lately not tracking all of my calories just because...."I must be burning more calories during my workout so no harm in not tracking this handful of peanuts or a single piece of chocolate."

I guess my question is, how many of you continue (or began) using a fitness tracker during maintenance? I really don't want to plop down the $$ if I'm not going to used it.

I sometimes wish I could just rent a Jawbone or Fitbit for a month. :)

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to be sure you have a good estimate of your calories burned, you probably want a Body Media rather than a Fitbit or Jawbone. Body Media has a monthly fee. The accuracy of the Fitbit and Jawbone in estimating calories burned varies widely depending on what exercises a person does. Calories burned from weightlifting (and the afterburn) can't be accurately measured by either Jawbone or Fitbit. Because most of my exercising involves moving my feet, I have found my Fitbit to be a decent predictor of my calories burned. Your results may vary.

I love my Fitbit and wouldn't want to be without it. I'm mostly interested in making sure I get in so many steps per day as an indicator of my overall activity level. Plus, I like knowing how many miles I've walked since I've had my Fitbit (2,128 miles) and how many miles I've walked since I got a new hip this summer (273 miles). I also love participating in exercise rewards programs and you need a tracker for that.

If you aren't sure you'll use a tracker, I believe most of them have a return policy....
  • kistockman
    Options
    Body Media? Will look at that. But I'm not sure a monthly fee will encourage me. I just have trouble justifying paying more money for maintenance. I guess this is the hurdle for me. If I'm succeeding, then why add something else especially if it is going to cost more?

But thanks for the information. I do love knowing my options for stepping things up and to keeping my fitness interesting.

Did I just answer my own question here? ^ :)
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you want or need one to me.
  • kistockman
    Options
    you might be right. Maybe my desire to have one comes and goes.