**Official week 5 thread**

Options
soccerella
soccerella Posts: 623 Member
I'll preface this by stating I havent watched the show yet, just am going by a summary I read - and it seems like something fairly shocking happened last night!

Week four definitely showed some improvement for alot of people! We had some teams where everyone lost at least 1% and several people who lost over 5 pounds! As a group we have lost a total of 183 pounds since the start, 44 pounds just last week and EVERY TEAM has a positive percentage lost this week. Nice work guys, lets see if we cant keep it up this week too!

I apologize for not posting more over the weekend but i was gone friday afternoon-monday afternoon and the house didnt have internet. I did do a little browsing this morning in some of the threads and saw a couple things that were interesting regarding the challenge. Here are a couple :

"i'm going to a restaurant tomorrow night to celebrate a friend's birthday & figured i'd have a piece of chocolate cake... however i already put it in my diary because i wanted to see how much i'd need to work off and it's over a 1000 cals (!!!!!!) for a slice of their chocolate cake.... and since i don't want to work off 1000 cals, figure i'll either opt not to have it or just have a couple bites of it. what i find interesting is that if i didn't look it up ahead of time, i would've just eaten the entire piece (i'm sure) having no idea how many calories (& empty ones at that) i was putting into my body so know that i know, i can make a more informed choice tomorrow night"

"I never logged my alcohol. I stated logging it. Wow, lots if calories Yikes! "

"Wow did not know that 1 cookie could have so many calories!!!!! "

Several people decided to avoid foods that are "bad" when realizing how many calories there are, others found that they pushed a little harder to get an extra calorie burn in, and others really struggled with it. I think alot of people learned something from it though and hope that will continue!

This weeks biggest loser is Katonaroof from the Purple team, and the Blue team was the bean highest BL. Team winners are:

Red: Jamiegephart 
Orange: mentalmunchie 
Yellow: Progressnotperfection84 
Green: jessecpwrs
Blue: Justformel 
Purple: katonaroof

I just wanted to reiterate that every team this week had an overall loss for the week, even with some teams having 1% penalties for some late players. That is a great step in the right direction. If you're like me and gained this past week or just arent seeing a change on the scale yet, try not to get frustrated or discouraged. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help motivate the group. I want us all to be successful!

And as a side note I want to give a shout out to jessecpwrs who had a goal to lose 100 lbs before her anniversary and she reached that this week!

Last night's challenge was to come up with a healthful, kid-friendly meal that uses lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. While all three teams came up with tasty choices, the blue team won with its Backyard Quesadillas and Fiesta Fruit Salad. Our challenge this week is to post a healthy recipe for others to try here. It can be one youve done for years, or one you just googled on the internet 5 minutes ago. It must however contain fruits and/ or vegetables, must be a complete recipe with all instructions, and you must include the nutrition facts of at least calories and fat, but more if you know them. Please post your recipes here

Additionally I'd like each team to come up with a meal and PM it to me by tomorrow evening at the latest. I will then post a new thread with all of the meals and not tell you which team came up with each. You can then comment on the thread with the meal you want to win. Each team that gets me their meal by 8pm EST tomorrow night will each receive 2 bonus points and the team that wins the vote will get 5 bonus points. The meal itself must contain a starter(appetizer), a main course, at least one side, and a dessert and must be below 1000 calories. Discuss within your team thread until you are satisfied with the components of your meal and then the coaches (or whatever representative you choose) will need to send me the information for the meal. Please message it to me in a format like this

Starter: house salad with dressing (300 cals)
Main course: Baked chicken breast (235 cals)
Side dish: steamed broccoli (60 calories)
dessert: fresh berries (80 calories)
total for meal: 675 calories

House salad
mix in a large bowl the following:
2 cups iceburg lettuce
1 cucumber, sliced
...etc

Baked chicken
preheat oven to 350
trim fat off a 4 oz chicken breast
top with cracked pepper
bake for 30 minutes
....etc

basically all recipes, both for the individual challenge and the team challenge must be able to be followed if someone wants to. This is always a favorite challenge as alot of us get some great new recipes to try. Remember to include any spices, oils, butter, etc when posting your recipes and try to include as many fresh ingredients (ie less processed items) as possible. Get creative (my example meal is super boring) and try to make it something healthy that you would enjoy eating. The meal contest will be judged on calories, creativity, and how delicious it sounds!

****Challenge summary*****
1) post in the main week 5 thread a full recipe (all directions and include nutrition information) that includes fruit and/or vegetables
2) consult with your team to create a full meal (starter, main dish, side, dessert) under 1000 calories and submit one meal as a team through PM to soccerella by 8 PM EST thursday
3) Teams meals will be posted anonymously and voting will take place for best meal (based on calories, creativity, appeal, etc)
4) you do not HAVE to vote to get credit this week, challenge completion is based on posting your recipe correctly in the week 5 thread

coaches you do not need to keep track of challenge completions this week - ill be doing it as we go along. Why? This is one people always cheat at! Its so silly but I always have at least one person say they completed this challenge but never posted a recipe. Remember I can see this thread and check up on you! It would be helpful to record them on your team spreadsheets to make sure I didnt miss anything, but remember its going off what is posted in the main thread, not your team ones.

Do you guys want a physical challenge this week? I know people really like having a physical challenge to add to workouts, but since I havent seen the show yet I dont have any idea of fun workouts they may have done so if you have a suggestion for an optional physical challenge feel free to post it here

Lastly I know I'm behind on the points in the main spreadsheet but I'll update this afternoon or tomorrow!

Replies

• soccerella
    Options
    This is the winning recipe from last nights show and an example of what would earn a "complete" for the challenge this week. The recipe can be replicated, contains fruits and/or vegetables, and includes nutrition information

Backyard Quesadilla with Fiesta Fruit Salad

For the fruit salad:
    1 fresh mango, peeled, pitted and cut in ½ inch cubes
    1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, sliced
    ½ cup fresh blueberries
    1 tablespoon dark honey
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

For the quesadilla:
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    1 cup white onion, chopped
    ½ medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 ounce chicken breast (boneless and skinless), diced
    ½ tablespoon cooked black beans
    1 slice reduced fat Provolone cheese

Garnishes:
    2 tablespoons fat free salsa verde
    2 tablespoons light sour cream

For the Fruit Salad:
    In a medium mixing bowl, combine the fruit. In a small bowl, stir the honey and lime juice together. Pour over the fruit and toss gently. There will be about 3 cups of fruit salad. Set aside while preparing quesadilla.

For the Quesadilla:
    -Place medium nonstick sauté pan over medium high heat. Add diced onion and bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes or until vegetables are soft, stirring regularly.
    -Add diced chicken and garlic and cook for a few minutes longer, stirring until chicken is just cooked and no longer pink. Add black beans and stir to combine.
    -Place tortilla on a sheet pan and carefully spoon the chicken mixture over it. Top with cheese and bake in preheated oven for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
    -Remove from oven and allow to cool for one to two minutes. Fold quesadilla in half and cut into four wedges.

Transfer to a dinner plate and place salsa and sour cream on the side. Add ¾ cup of the fruit salad. Serve immediately.

Nutritional information (per serving):
    Serving size: 404g
    Calories 280
    Fat calories 50
    Total fat 6 grams
    Sat fat 2 grams
    Cholesterol 10 mg
    Sodium 280 mg
    Total carbohydrates 47 grams
    Fiber 8 grams
    Sugars 27 grams
    Protein 12 grams
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack---proscuitto panino
    1oz prosciitto (60cals)
    1oz fresh mozzarella (preferably in small balls) (80cals)
    1 lettuce leaf
    Total: 140 cals

Wrap the proscuitto around the mozzarella. For a meal eat more than one serving. Munch on the lettuce leaf because that makes it healthy.It is of utmost importance that you eat the lettuce leaf because without it the snack will clog your arteries or raise your blood pressure or something.
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mexican "Rice" Bowl- I adapted this recipe from PaleOMG so if you want to see the full version you can go to http://paleomg.com/mexican-rice-bowls/

Ingredients
    1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
    1/3 cup water
    handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 white onion, diced
    2 avocados, diced (I use 1/2 advocado for each serving, but can use more or less depending on taste)
    1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
    salsa of choice (I use about 4 tbsp per bowl, but again this can be altered depending on taste)

Instructions
    1. Run florets of cauliflower through a food processor using the shredding attachment, to rice the cauliflower. Or use a grater and grate the cauliflower until you have small pieces.
    2. Place a small saucepan over medium heat, add cauliflower and water (can add a bit of salt, but I don’t think it really needs it) and cover to let steam for about 10 minutes. Mix a couple times to keep from sticking to the bottom.
    3. While cauliflower is cooking, place a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook ground turkey. Break up into small pieces, when halfway done cooking add taco seasoning, onions, and cilantro, and cook until cooked through completely.
    4. Dice onion and avocado.
    5. When cauliflower rice and meat are done cooking, add 1 1/2 cup rice, 4 ounces of meat and onion mixture, avocado, and salsa to a bowl.

Nutritional Information (Disclaimer: this isn’t exact, but I think a pretty close estimation)
    Calories: 373
    Carbs: 27
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 31
    Sodium: 875
    Sugar: 11
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My main meal. I found a recipe online that describes it slightly different, but way better than I could.

1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs $
    Cooking spray $
    12 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage $
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (such as Tillamook)
    Low-fat sour cream (optional)

Preparation
    Prepare grill.
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub spice mixture over chicken.
    Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; chop.
    Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken evenly among tortillas; top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cabbage and 1 teaspoon cheese. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
  • soccerella
    Options
    Remember guys, you have to include nutritional information for this to count! Only one has done that so far
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Last night they showed one of the contestants struggling in the pool... We could do a challenge that either requires us to try something new or something that we might have been afraid to try in the past.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So here is my main course recipe, straight from my blog... jesserunsfree.blogger.com

Chicken Pot Pie

chicken pot pie

One of my favorite fall meals is Chicken Pot Pie. I love its warm gooey comfort. What I don't like is the amount of calories in it. The average Chicken Pot Pie is 600 calories.

So I decided today was a day to find a way to make my favorite meal, in a way I can eat.

For any dish you need a good base.

Directions:

Preheat Oven : 425* F
    4 servings

Ingredients:

Filling:
    1 Can Cream of Chicken
    1 Cup Fat Free Milk
    3 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
    1 tsp Herbs de Provence

Biscuit Crust:
    1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
    4 tsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
    1 tsp baking powder
    3 tsp Fat Free Milk

Meat & Veggie Mix:
    1/2 a bag of Steamfresh Brown & Wild Rice with Broccolli & Carrots
    1/2 a bag of Steamfresh Sweet Peas
    1/2 a bag of Grilled & Ready Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Diced

Directions:

Filling, in a sauce pan combine all filling ingredients and whisk together. Bring filling to a boil, and continuously whisk for 2 minutes. Turn to low and let filling cook for 5 minutes.

While filling is cooking, create biscuit crust, mix in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix meat & veggie mix into filling.

Using 4 small loaf pans put 1 cup of filling mixture into each pan.

Divide Biscuit Crust into 4 even sections. Create rectangular biscuit and place on top.

Poke wholes in top of biscuit.

Lastly, place in oven & cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

Eat & Enjoy.

Stats: Per Serving

Calories: 364
    Total Fat 9.5g
    Cholesterol 62.5 mg
    Sodium: 742.7 mg
    Potassium: 395.8 mg
    Total Carbs 42.5g
    Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g
    Sugars: 7g
    Protein: 28g
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    no-bake-cheesecake.jpg

Dessert, No Bake Cheese Cake

222 Calories, 17 grams Sugar, 6 grams Fat

Whip 1 package LOW FAT CREAM CHEESE with 1/4 cup SUGAR and 1tsp VANILLA. Fold in 1 tub LOW FAT COOL WHIP. Pour into GRAHM CRACKER PIE CRUST. Chill in the fridge for an hour. Top with FRESH BERRIES if desired *note this will raise the sugar content*

I'm pretty sure you could lower the sugar content in the crust if you make it yourself instead of buying it premade
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    ~Angel Hair Pasta with Garden Vegetables Recipe~

Ingredients:

•8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
    •1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    •1 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
    •1 cup fresh snow peas
    •1 cup chopped sweet yellow, red or green pepper
    •1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    •2 garlic cloves, minced
    •2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch® Olive Oil
    •2 teaspoons cornstarch
    •1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    •1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, yellow pepper, basil and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.

2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and salt until smooth; gradually stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce is thickened.

3. Remove from the heat; stir in tomatoes. Drain pasta; divide among four plates. Top with vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutritional Facts:

Makes 4 servings

One serving (2 cups) equals 333 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.

Enjoy:-)
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Appetizer: Tortilla Veggie Pizza

AccidentalPizza.jpg

Approximately 115 Calories, 3 grams fat for half the pizza * Will vary with the different veggies used

Spread 2tbsp MARINIA on a 10in LOW FAT WHEAT TORTILLA. Sprinkle with REDUCED FAT ITALIAN BLEND CHEESE. Top with any veggies you desire (my kids like pineapple, spinach, and olives). Bake at 300 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the shell is crispy.
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Appetizer: Tortilla Veggie Pizza

AccidentalPizza.jpg

Approximately 115 Calories, 3 grams fat for half the pizza * Will vary with the different veggies used

Spread 2tbsp MARINIA on a 10in LOW FAT WHEAT TORTILLA. Sprinkle with REDUCED FAT ITALIAN BLEND CHEESE. Top with any veggies you desire (my kids like pineapple, spinach, and olives). Bake at 300 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the shell is crispy.

Looks yummy:-)
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker easiest way to make super tasty meals. I haven't tried this one yet but it's been bookmarked forever and with the cooling weather it seems perfect. And I love the 1 pot makes cleanup a breeze.

Spicy Chicken Stew

makes 6 servings

Ingredients

2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
    1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup bottled salsa
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
    4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 ounces)
    2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    4 (6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
    Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation

1. Place first 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Stir in salsa and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Place chicken on top of vegetables, and add broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
    2. Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir tortilla strips into stew. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 403
    Calories from fat: 0.0%
    Fat: 4.5g
    Saturated fat: 0.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
    Protein: 35g
    Carbohydrate: 55.5g
    Fiber: 4.4g
    Cholesterol: 85mg
    Iron: 2.8mg
    Sodium: 643mg
    Calcium: 70mg

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-chicken-stew-50400000124385/
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Rachel Rae's Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese

SUPER yummy. My sister-in-law made it for us and I was PRETTY skeptical about it.... but I tried it and it was sooo delicious.

1 lb macaroni with lines (e.g. tubatini, mini penne, etc.)
    T tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
    2 tbsp butter
    ½ medium onion, grated
    2 tbsp thyme
    3 tbsp all-purpose flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    10 oz. butternut squash, cooked (boil like a potato)
    1 cup cream or half-and-half
    8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    ½ cup Parmesan, grated
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Salt & Pepper

Boil Pasta in water (Add salt to te water before the pasta). While that cooks, heat EVOO and butter in a medium-large heavy bottomed pan. Add thyme and onion to pan. Cook 12 minutes, then add flour and cook another 1-2 minutes. Whisk in stock. Mash butternut squash and add to pan. Mix thoroughly, then combine with cream and bring sauce to a bubble. Stir in cheese in a figure-8 motion. Complete with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Drain the pasta when it is finished, and combine it with the cheese mixture.

Assuming this serves 8 people....

1 Serving is:
    385 Calories
    51g Carbs
    17g Fat
    6g Sat Fat
    250mg Sodium
    5g Sugar
  • Pfil
    Pfil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Pesto "Pasta" with Baked Chicken and Broccoli
    Serves 2 very hungry people for under 500 calories each but it could pretty easily stretch to 4 if you add a salad or dessert. :)

Ingredients:
    2 packages of fettucini Tofu Shiratake Noodles (follow the directions on using them here if you haven't tried them before: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157)
    4 servings of skinny pesto (almost entire recipe below) (you can cut out 86 calories and 8g of fat if you halve this amount, but I loooooove pesto)
    1 crown of broccoli, cut into small florets (about 2 cups worth)
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (~8 ounces each) I use the Kirkland individually wrapped frozen ones and they usually weigh in 7-10 ounces each.
    salt & pepper (or your favorite salt-free or low-sodium substitute like Mrs. Dash)

First, make some skinny pesto from http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/skinny-basil-pesto.html
    Skinny Basil Pesto Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 5 Serving Size: 1 tbsp • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 86 • Fat: 8.3 g • Protein: 2.3 g • Carb: 0.8 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 0 g Sodium: 94 mg (without salt)

Pesto Ingredients:
    1 cup basil *(or you could use a mix of herbs you have in your garden - cilantro is a great addition as is sage)
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 cup grated parmesan
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 1/2 tbsp olive oil

Pesto Directions:
    In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use or you can freeze this in ziplocks bags to use at a later date. *(I usually make a BUNCH and freeze in icecube trays then pop into a ziptop bag in the freezer to grab for a quick meal.)

Directions:
    - Place the chicken breasts in a pyrex dish, season with salt & pepper and bake at 350*F 20-30 minutes (longer if cooking from frozen) until a thermometer reads above 165*F in the thickest part or when you slice into it the juices run clear.
    - While the chicken is cooking, rinse the two packages of noodles following the directions at the hungry girl website. Trust that the funky smell will disappear and they will be yummy!
    - When the chicken is nearly done, heat the noodles in the microwave or a frying pan until warmed through and set aside
    - Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the broccoli for a couple of minutes until the color has turned into a lovely bright green but not until it turns a gross sad army green.
    - Drain the broccoli, slice the chicken, mix the pesto with the warm noodles - it'll melt and warm on its own from the heat of the noodles, no need to heat but you could microwave it super quick if it is frozen.
    - Plate up half the pesto noodle mix, top with one sliced chicken breast and half the broccoli.

Devour!

Total nutritional content per serving (half recipe):
    476 calories
    6g net carbs (16 carbs, 10 fiber)
    61g protein
    21g fat
    sodium will vary depending on the chicken you use and how much salt you put in the broccoli water and on your chicken
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As I was flipping through my Weight Watchers cookbook, which I have to be honest I rarely use, i came across this recipe. What struck me was the description. Here is what it said"Pizzas-the perfect kid-friendly cuisine!! (I agree what child does not love pizza). Let your children's creativity run wild by providing the toppings-try pepper strips, sliced olives, carrot coins- and let them do the decorating. If you prefer, use four small pitas instead of two large ones." So cool, you could let the children shop for what they want to put on their "pizza" and then they could make it. This is the recipe:

Tomato Mini Pizzas:
    2 large pocketless pitas
    2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tbsps. chopped basil
    2 tsps. olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large non-stick baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place the pitas on the baking sheet.
    2. In a small bowl,mix the tomatoes and salt;stir in the basil, oil, and garlic. Top the pitas with the tomato mixture, drizzling any liquid in the bowl over the toppings. Bake until the tomatoes are hot and softened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese; bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes longer. cut the pitas in half before serving.

Per Serving: 131 calories, 4 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 4 mg Cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 18 g Total carbohydrate, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 6 g Protein, 118 mg Calcium. Points per serving: 3.

Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. MacMillan:New York. 1998. found on page40.

tambam72 aka Tammie:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jfea
    jfea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Veggie Chili - 10 servings

1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
    1 Red Pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. Onion, chopped
    1 c. Celery, chopped
    1 c. Carrots, chopped
    2 Garlic cloves, minced
    2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    28 oz. can tomatoes undrained, (I put mine in the blender, but you could just chop up the tomatoes)
    16 oz. jar Picante sauce (I buy Pace Picante Sauce - mild, but you can buy spicier)
    1 1/4 c. water
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. beef flavor bouillon (I use Herbox Sodium Free Instant Broth & Seasoning)
    Can of Chili Beans, undrained (not canned chili)
    Can of Black Beans, Drained (or you can use Garbanzo beans)
    3 c. Brown Rice, cooked
    Toppings: Shredded Cheddar cheese (You could also top with black olives, sprouts, sour cream - all optional)

Saute onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, picante sauce water, bouillon, and cumin. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over 1/4 c. of brown rice and top with 1/4 shredded cheddar cheese.

Suggestions: 1. I usually make this one night for dinner and then put in servings in individual tupperware and take it to work for lunch several days. Vegetable choices and amounts are endless - my mom used zucchini. I often use more vegetables than I included in the recipe above. What adds the flavor is the picante sauce, chili beans, cumin and bouillon. You don't have to use rice - I just like the texture it adds.

Number of servings: 10
    Calories per serving: 332
    Carbs per serving : 40 (includes brown rice - don't have to use rice)
    Fat per serving: 13 g (you could use a lowfat cheese)
    Protein per serving: 13 g
  • Broiled Swordfish with Mango Salsa

(4) Prep time: 20 min Total time: 1 hour 6 min Makes: 6 servings

What You Need 3 swordfish steaks (1-1/2 lb.) 3/4 cup A.1. STEAKHOUSE Marinade for Seafood Mango Chipotle 2 mangos, peeled, chopped 1/2 cup chopped red peppers 2 green onions, thinly sliced 1 tsp. finely chopped seeded jalapeño peppers 3 Tbsp. lime juice

Make It Place fish in resealable plastic bag. Add marinade; seal bag. Turn bag over several times to evenly coat fish with marinade. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients; cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Preheat broiler. Remove fish from marinade; discard bag and marinade. Place fish on rack of broiler pan. Broil, 4 inches from heat, 6 to 8 min. on each side or until fish flakes easily with fork. Cut steaks in half. Serve with the mango mixture.

Nutritional information per serving Calories 240 , Total fat 5g , Saturated fat 1.5g , Cholesterol 45mg , Sodium 640mg , Carbohydrate 26g , Dietary fiber 2g , Sugars 22g , Protein 24g , Vitamin A 25%DV ,
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ginger-Citrus-Maple Roasted Beets & Apples
    vegan, makes 4 cups - (nutrition info based on 4 servings)

4 cups of fresh beets, chopped roughly into large cubes (two large or three medium beets)
    1 apple, diced into large cubes
    2 Tbsp maple syrup, grade B
    1 tsp raw ginger, grated using microplane
    1/2 tsp orange zest
    2 Tbsp fresh orange juice (or substitute with apple cider vinegar for zestier beets)
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    coarse pink sea salt + fine black pepper to taste (a light sprinkling should do it. Delicious salt-free too!)

garnish:
    2-3 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds, sprouted + salted (or raw pumpkin seeds lightly toasted in a warm skillet)
    1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
    a few pinches raw grated ginger

**extra sweet beets: add a sprinkling of brown or coconut sugar over top the beets just before placing in the oven.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
    3. Wash and scrub your beets, remove and rough spots and stems if attached. Chop beets into large odd-shaped cubes. Set aside.
    4. Wash and chop apple into same sized cubes as beets. Remove seeds and/or apple core.
    5. Add beets, apples, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, ginger, orange juice and zest, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and toss until beets and apples are coated. Transfer mixture to the baking sheet and pour excess liquid and spices over top. Scrape the bowl for any seasoning and make sure it gets on the beets or in the baking pan.
    6. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Flip and toss beets and apples a bit. Continue to bake until a tested beet is tender when sticking a fork in it. Roast longer for softer, more caramelized beets. Finish the cooking off by turning your oven to broil. Broil beets and apples for 1-3 minutes or until blackened edges form.
    7. Transfer mixture to serving platter. Sprinkles pumpkin seeds around the edge, add a few pinches of fresh raw grated ginger over top and parsley for a splash of green color. You can serve these beets warm or chilled! I actually love them chilled because they firm up in the fridge and the flavor intensifies a bit. But warm is delicious too.

Store leftovers covered in fridge for 1-3 days.

Calories:188
    Fat:7.3g
    Cholestrol:0
    Sodium:132mg
    Carbs:30.7g
    Protien:2.9g
    Vitamin A: 2%
    Vitamin C:20%
    Calcium: 4%
    Iron: 9%
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    ~I found out about these muffins on mfp. I use ground turkey instead of the ground beef & sometimes, I use progresso italian bread crumbs to give them a little extra flavor :smile: My family :heart: 's these muffins! My 4 and 5 year old boys request these for dinner & we know it is hard to please kids at this age. Enjoy!

Diner Meat Loaf 'Muffins'

Cooking Light MARCH 2006

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup ketchup, divided
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
    1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  • 77chantelle
    77chantelle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of fun recipes. I haven't tried this one yet but I will soon, my daughter loves spaghetti squash.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AVCAdzlZRIs/UPl_GCI2vzI/AAAAAAAAKOc/OeFsOpHnQe4/s1600/Cheesy-Baked-Spaghetti-squash-casserole.jpg

Baked Spaghetti Squash and CheeseSkinnytaste.com
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 165 • Fat: 8 g • Protein: 10 g • Carb: 16 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 6.5 g
    Sodium: 278.5 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small)
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gf)
    2 cups skim milk
    1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
    8 oz Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
    salt and pepper, to taste
    4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
    1/8 cup grated parmesan

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Maintain the oven temperature.
    Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes.

Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with salt and pepper.

Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked spaghetti squash and baby spinach, pour into a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden 25 to 30 minutes.

Makes 7 cups
This discussion has been closed.