I need to beat SonicDeathMonkey80 (Doug)

Options
Some of you already know about the bet Doug and I have for the Cleveland Half Marathon in May. We signed up for the 1:36-1:45 group - pacing with each other until Mile 11 and then it's an all out race to the finish.

I need to win.

No really, I HAVE TO WIN!

His last PR was 1:45:44.

I've never run a HM but on a long run a couple weeks ago, I hit my 13.1 mile point at 1:58 (with a dog who stopped to pee every mile, road crossings, no rest before). It's all I have to know where I'm at. I have a feeling that with proper rest, no dog and a race setting, I wouldn't be too far behind him.

I have spent the past 7 months focused on a fast 5 KM time (this weekend, I'm shooting to break 22 minutes). I don't know the first thing about half marathon training.

A lot of what I see on the internet is about training to run your first half, mostly for beginners. I already run about 45 mpw and have run the HM distance and more several times.

I need advice on how to run a FAST HM. A faster than Doug HM.

After this race on Saturday, I'm taking a down week and then spending the next 4-6 weeks getting my weekly mileage up to 55-60. Once I'm used that mileage, I will resume speed and tempo workouts.

Fast half marathoners....I need advice. Also, feel free to take my side and trash talk Doug. Encourage him to eat more cake balls.

I have exactly 185 days to get my HM time around 1:35...is it even possible?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As the HM is going to tax your body's ability to clear Lactic Acid, you should do a good amount of training at, or near your LT pace. At least once per week. 20 to 40 minutes per week at LT pace. Break it up some too. Do 3x10:00 with 2:00 recovery and LT pace minus 5 seconds per mile. Or 2x20:00 at LT plus 10 seconds with 1:00 recovery, 5x6:00 at LT minus 10 seconds with 2:00 recovery, etc, etc.

Your volume is good, but more miles will help too.

Get your long run to 13 to 16 miles. Do some of them with the last 2 to 4 miles at your project HMP plus 20 seconds or so.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure:

My HM PR was on a base of 200mi starting in January when I picked up running again (before that I took almost 2yrs off). I have a "tune up" race on April 6th (ORRRC half) and I have a current 5k PR of 21:09 (bad race, going to try again on thanksgiving), and 10k PR of 43:36. I'm doing 35-45 mpw, and will ramp up to 50-60 in late January/early February after I move.

I have to win! I'm done eating crap food after today and am planning on dropping down to 150lbs. Cake balls don't tempt me anymore!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I do not have any advice, all I know is that this is going to be a good race. Wish I could be there to watch you guys.. Good luck to both of you. But Kathleen you sound determined girl I think you got this :wink:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Don't trip on the sidewalk.

No, seriously, I'm a big Jack Daniels fan. Not the kind you drink, though that's good too. Get yourself the Daniels Running Formula. Know it. Learn it. Be it. Especially the notorious 5-4-3-2-1 tempo workout.

For elites, this workout is 5 miles at tempo pace, then 5 minutes easy, 4 tempo, 4 minutes easy, all the way down to 1 mile.

For mere mortals, substitute 4.5-minutes for each mile. So the first one would be 22.5 minutes tempo, 5 minutes easy -- and so on.

I try to do this workout 4 times in a cycle, every couple of weeks. The first two times I just do 4-3-2-1. I'm lucky if I manage to finish them. Then the last two times I boost to 5-4-3-2-1. By the final workout, if I can do it at tempo pace (this would be faster than half-marathon pace), then I know I'm ready to race!

Good luck!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You got him! With your speed you will easily beat 1:40. My first 13.1 training run was 1:57, that was in June and I thought I was going to die!! October I did the actual race in 1:40 and feel like a left a lot of time on the table, I didn't think I could have ran it with a 7:30 pace but looking back that is where I should have started. Advice would be to train hard up until the final 2 weeks, hit that 13 mile mark at least once a month if not every other week, and taper and rest the last 2 weeks. The biggest thing, in my opinion is to not over do it the week before. Even though you are going to feel the need to keep up the training keep the last week to maybe 2 or 3 easy 5ks. GOOD LUCK and will be fun to watch it play out!!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If yours going to pace with him for 11 miles then your strategy should really be this: be faster than Doug for the last two miles. So its not really so much about speed, but having something left at the end. Build a good base and practice 3/4 training (run the first 3/4s at your training pace and blast the last quarter at race pace, or faster than race pace) good luck! Oh and boooo to Doug
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You got him! With your speed you will easily beat 1:40. My first 13.1 training run was 1:57, that was in June and I thought I was going to die!! October I did the actual race in 1:40 and feel like a left a lot of time on the table, I didn't think I could have ran it with a 7:30 pace but looking back that is where I should have started. Advice would be to train hard up until the final 2 weeks, hit that 13 mile mark at least once a month if not every other week, and taper and rest the last 2 weeks. The biggest thing, in my opinion is to not over do it the week before. Even though you are going to feel the need to keep up the training keep the last week to maybe 2 or 3 easy 5ks. GOOD LUCK and will be fun to watch it play out!!

Oh I already run 13+ miles every Saturday. I'm aiming to get my long run up to 16 over the winter!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    RE: Kathleen

200.gif
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous! My 5K PR is 21:40 but my HM PR is only 1:49:10. You can do this, Kathleen!!!!
  • julie_emma1
    Options

Oh I already run 13+ miles every Saturday. I'm aiming to get my long run up to 16 over the winter!

I think you got this!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near that fast, but the training plans on Runner's World (when I actually stick to them) help me improve my time. Here's one: http://rw.runnersworld.com/challenge/plans/half/break-145.pdf
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Although with your speed, this one might be better: http://rw.runnersworld.com/challenge/plans/half/break-130.pdf
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    no advice (slowest runner in the WORLD) but adding my support, you have to win!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    no advice (slowest runner in the WORLD) but adding my support, you have to win!

No. I am.

May the best woman win!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat more Twinkies - one for every mile of training. I also snuck in for some good info as I am training for a 3/30/14 half and 5/11/14 marathon.

I am going to side with Sonic here...thinking the acclimation of training on the new home turf may make the difference. What a great challenge though. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Thanks for posting the info on the Daniels Running Formula - the notorious 5-4-3-2-1 tempo workout. Looking forward to trying this one and great info on the LT from Carson.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat more Twinkies - one for every mile of training.

If there is a Twinkie on the course to chase, I predict Argyle will beat both Kathleen and Doug!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm super slow too, all I can think of is visualizing your win.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure:

My HM PR was on a base of 200mi starting in January when I picked up running again (before that I took almost 2yrs off). I have a "tune up" race on April 6th (ORRRC half) and I have a current 5k PR of 21:09 (bad race, going to try again on thanksgiving), and 10k PR of 43:36. I'm doing 35-45 mpw, and will ramp up to 50-60 in late January/early February after I move.

I have to win! I'm done eating crap food after today and am planning on dropping down to 150lbs. Cake balls don't tempt me anymore!

I ran the ORRC half this year as well to qualify for Disney placing. The people there are awesome and fast. I ended up running 6.30 pace for about 4 miles with a guy doing the full (until the break away point). He just casually ran up beside, and asked if we could run together since he was bored. That was fun. So 11 miles with company is good. Screw the twinkies, crispy creme donuts will make you go faster!!! My bet is on you since you did the ORRRC half.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat more Twinkies - one for every mile of training.

If there is a Twinkie on the course to chase, I predict Argyle will beat both Kathleen and Doug!

And if I have Argyle on a leash, he will pull me to the finish ahead of Doug! This is a good idea.....

I have actually raced with Argyle before in a 10 KM. They agreed to let us at the last minute if I started at the back of the pack. Soooo much fun!