Low Calories Not On Purpose

Options
Hey I'm brand new and started joining this site because of some research. I've been facing some severe anxiety issues the past couple of months and one suggestion was to start running several times a week to get rid of nervous engergy, it hasn't really helped but I'm still hoping.

Some people when depressed over eat but I've found I'm the opposite. I barely eat. I've gone all day without eating much, maybe even just one meal a day. Even when I do eat two I'm realizing it is too small. I just did a calorie count and I was over 700 calories under what it should be.

I can say that the low calorie dieting does work, I went from a size 12 to a size 4-2 in about three months. I'm at a healthy weight now but I'm not sure how long that will last.

I came to this group because other groups have been pretty harsh about what is going on. I'm simply not hungry anymore and I'm not entirely sure how I can just snap out of it. I do like losing the weight, my family is so proud of me for losing all of this weight...not sure if they realize the cost or if they really care. But at least my dad is proud of me now.

Replies

• vicksterious
    vicksterious Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will first echo a lot of what you've already heard, which is if you're not intentionally losing weight, aren't happy about your diet and can identify anxiety/depression as causes of your loss of appetite (a common symptom in both!) you should try to find a professional that can help if you can't increase the calories on your own. A doctor, counselor, psychiatrist, psychologist or even nutritionist could be a great place to start. Being at a healthy weight is great but losing weight to fast can be dangerous independent of any other mental concerns that may be going on.

That said, if you can't, won't or just aren't ready to seek help for issues do what you can to 'force' yourself to eat at minimum the calories you need to maintain your weight as it is now. Track what you're actually eating and make sure you at least hit the goal number of calories. Keeping around healthy but calorically dense foods like nuts or peanut butter can make it easy to get in a couple hundred calories quickly without really feeling like you're eating much or "getting full"

It's hard to make specific comments without seeing your diary but make sure you're realistic with yourself about your goals, expectations and what you need mentally and physically to get and stay healthy!
  • NerwenAldarion
    NerwenAldarion Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm working on figuring out what kind of calories I should eat but it's not so much what I need to eat but the problem of simply not being able to eat enough.

I went to my doctor who told me to try to eat 1500 calories. The problem is I struggle to get to 1000. It's just hard for me to get more calories when I'm simply not hungry.