Accessory lifts??

Options
BJC78
BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
Hi all! Just a quick question... I just started yesterday and am wondering what/if any additional lifts you incorporate into the standard A and B workouts? Do you also do arm work such as triceps or biceps? Do any of you run or do any HIIT training a couple days per week?

Thanks!
Brandi ????

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The compound exercises are enough for a newbie weight trainer but it all depends what you are training for... If its just health/body composition then I don't think its needed. if you compete in a sport then there may be sport specific lifts to do i.e. single leg movements for ACL etc.

Once you have exhausted 5x5 to where you can no longer make any kind of progress then look into an intermediate programme where you will have accessory lifts to improve your main lifts.

In terms of cardio/HIIT do it if you like it or have a reason to do it (sports again) but its not required if weight loss is goal as that will come down to a calorie deficit which can be maintained by diet, its a lot easier not to eat 500 cals than it is to burn it :drinker:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the stronglifts book is very helpful. during your linear progression they only really recommend chin ups/pull ups as accessories. Patience, grasshopper, the weights will be high very soon!
  • BJC78
    Options
    Thank you all for responding ???? you are right, I'm just impatient lol. Like I said before I'm not new to weight training so I've done a lot of different things including crossfit. But I want to do this program to truly increase weight and I like having something to follow. My goal is to lower body fat and build muscle.. I do like muscle definition in arms . I will trust the process. I'm really excited to be in this group!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've really added is planks. Trying for two sets of 2 min. ea. Not quite there, but upping by 5-10 sec each time.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have the same goals as you. Not looking to lose scale weight, just to increase muscle and lose some BF. I'm really wanting more arm/shoulder definition and I have DEFINITELY gotten more than ever before doing heavy lifting at 4-5 reps for the last 3 months.

Anyway, since arm definition is a big goal, I try to do pushups throughout the day if I'm at home. Like every time I go to the bathroom, I'll do a set of 10 or so. Last week I added handstand pushups and alternate them with the pushups.

I know I'm probably weird but oh well. LOL. I don't always remember to do them anyway, and I don't do them when I'm away from home (gross...and super weird).
  • bek48
    bek48 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anyway, since arm definition is a big goal, I try to do pushups throughout the day if I'm at home. Like every time I go to the bathroom, I'll do a set of 10 or so. Last week I added handstand pushups and alternate them with the pushups.
    Handstand pushups, cool! Could you always do those or did you have to build up to them? I just started trying to do handstands last week, it's a slightly pathetic work in progress lol
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Handstand push ups? Like where you stand on your hands then lower your head to the floor and up again? Are you supported by a wall? I can't even (and have never ever ever) do a handstand! In fact I can't even do a cartwheel!
  • wendypow
    Options
    Handstand pushups, cool! Could you always do those or did you have to build up to them? I just started trying to do handstands last week, it's a slightly pathetic work in progress lol

Ok maybe I should clarify the handstand pushups...I watched a Nia Shanks video on YouTube that someone else here mentioned (I can't remember who, but should give them credit!) and I'm not doing the full handstand yet. I just started out and I put my feet up on a coffee table or the side of my bathtub surround. Slowly you work your way up to the full handstand by putting your feet on something higher every couple of weeks or so.

I'm not THAT good, LOL. But I will be!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Awesome even still. It did sound like a good way to get a sore head though lol
  • wendypow
    Options
    True! So maybe try in a carpeted room. LOL
  • BJC78
    Options
    Haha! I used to do those in crossfit !
  • BJC78
    Options
    Let me clarify.... I was working towards the actual handstand pushups. We used a box ... Never did an actual one though