In need of advice.

Options
Hi all. Please be gentle, I am in desperate need of weight loss advice!

I got engaged in May and have been trying to lose some weight for the wedding next August. I started at around 19st5lbs :( but find my weight is yo-yoing really badly. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. I'm using a Fitbit synced with MFP and have an office job so don't get much excercise during the week however I have been jogging at the weekends which amounts to around 2 hours a week and also using Wii Fit.

Currently MFP tells me that my food goal per day is 1430 but I see lots of people on here talking about BMR/TDEE and not sure how this effects me. I used the calculator at http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and this tells me my TDEE is 2511. Should I then be eating 2511 calories or 1430 :s

Also I'm not sure if I should be eating back exercised calories? I.e. On Sunday according to Fitbit I burned 3225 calories which meant MFP gave me 820 calories extra and put my net calories way down to 893.

I think I have opened up my diary, last week is not the best example as I was off work and ate too much :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saz

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What figures did you use for each calculation?

Does the MFP figure already include a deficit? What have you set your weightloss goal to?
    If the MFP figure includes a deficit already, it's probably about right.

Eat back exercise calories, but make sure you stick to your deficit. If you do it like this, and take it slow and steady with a ~500 deficit, you could easily lose somewhere in the region of 40-60lb by the time of the wedding, which will be awesome.

Stick with eating 1500 + exercise calories for a week or two, and see what happens. Then depending on what's going on, come back here, and we can see if anything needs adjusting.

Also consider doing some weight training, you'll get a double benefit, because not only will you burn calories, but you will lose less muscle through your deficit, so your metabolism will be higher, so you will burn more calories just by being alive. Win-win!

My final piece of advice would be to pay attention to your macros, make sure you're getting decent amounts of carbs, protein and fats, don't over restrict or go crazy on any individual one.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Please be gentle, I am in desperate need of weight loss advice!

I got engaged in May and have been trying to lose some weight for the wedding next August. I started at around 19st5lbs :( but find my weight is yo-yoing really badly. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. I'm using a Fitbit synced with MFP and have an office job so don't get much excercise during the week however I have been jogging at the weekends which amounts to around 2 hours a week and also using Wii Fit.

Currently MFP tells me that my food goal per day is 1430 but I see lots of people on here talking about BMR/TDEE and not sure how this effects me. I used the calculator at http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and this tells me my TDEE is 2511. Should I then be eating 2511 calories or 1430 :s

Also I'm not sure if I should be eating back exercised calories? I.e. On Sunday according to Fitbit I burned 3225 calories which meant MFP gave me 820 calories extra and put my net calories way down to 893.

I think I have opened up my diary, last week is not the best example as I was off work and ate too much :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saz

Definitely start doing weight lifting. Compound exercises.
  • Sazzl3pie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

On MFP I have put

Starting Weight: 19st 5lbs
    Weight Goal: 2lbs per week
    Activity Level: Sedentary

and it gives me
    Net Calorie Goal: 1430

Most of the time I dont eat back my excercised calories. It doesnt make sense in my head that I cant lose weight eating 1430 calories a day but could lose weight eating 1430+excercised calories?! Obviously if thats true then im willing to try it.

Yesterday is a good example of what I eat:
    Breakfast = Porridge
    Lunch = 1 x WW Pitta Bread, 1 tbsp WW Cream Cheese, 2 x Ham Slices, WW yoghurt
    Dinner = WW Tuna Pasta, WW Fruit Crumble Biscuit
    Snacks = Banana, Pear, French Fries(Crisps)

This was:
    1110 Food Calories
    131 Exercise Calories (I didn't do any exercise, just walking around at work)
    979 Net Calories
    451 Remaining Calories

What sort of weight training should I be doing? Ill need to look into that.

At the moment I think I am eating way too many Carbs and not enough Protein.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

On MFP I have put

Starting Weight: 19st 5lbs
    Weight Goal: 2lbs per week
    Activity Level: Sedentary

and it gives me
    Net Calorie Goal: 1430

Ok, so that's basically 2430 (which is similar to your other estimation) - 1000 (3500 cals in a pound of fat, so 2lbs a week = 7000 cals under goal a week = 1000 cals under goal a day )

Honestly, I would consider a slightly less aggressive deficit, maybe 500-750 a day rather than 1000, just to make it sustainable. Everyone likes the idea of losing quickly, but that's worthless, if you can't sustain it, or just put it all back on when you stop.
    Most of the time I dont eat back my excercised calories. It doesnt make sense in my head that I cant lose weight eating 1430 calories a day but could lose weight eating 1430+excercised calories?! Obviously if thats true then im willing to try it.

The point of exercise is to be healthier, maintain muscle mass, boost metabolism, eat more, so you're not on 1 lettuce leaf a day and such like, not to increase the calorie deficit, that's already set where we want it.
    Yesterday is a good example of what I eat:
    Breakfast = Porridge
    Lunch = 1 x WW Pitta Bread, 1 tbsp WW Cream Cheese, 2 x Ham Slices, WW yoghurt
    Dinner = WW Tuna Pasta, WW Fruit Crumble Biscuit
    Snacks = Banana, Pear, French Fries(Crisps)

This was:
    1110 Food Calories
    131 Exercise Calories (I didn't do any exercise, just walking around at work)
    979 Net Calories
    451 Remaining Calories

My opinion - eat more, eat real food, don't get drawn into the WW trap, just eat what you like, providing it fits your macros and goal.
    What sort of weight training should I be doing? Ill need to look into that.

To start off do something basic, like NROLFW, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, lift what is heavy for you, don't get caught in the "girls will get bulky and must stick to the pink barbie dumbells" nonsense.

Example, these girls are elite, lifting more weight than most women ever will, do they look bulky, or like men, or do they look awesome? My vote is for awesome!

http://youtu.be/mRkfaG38t7Y
    At the moment I think I am eating way too many Carbs and not enough Protein.

Ties in with the comment about diet and macros above.

Hope it helps, and don't be afraid to ask about anything that's unclear,
  • Sazzl3pie
    Options
    Thanks :) That is really good advice and helps me understand it all. I'll have a look at the weight training stuff as well!
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hiya saz good luck with weights. From reading posts it appear to be the way to go. I'm going to start at the weekend. I want to start lifting to gain strength in my upper body and also to try and correct very round shoulders. Will be interested to find out how you get on. Thanks to all who posted previously.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Wow, some excellent advice there from HelloDan.

Just wanted to say Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sazzl3pie
    Options
    Started doing Starting Strength this week alongside my other excercise and healthy eating. 2lb off this week which is my first loss in a few weeks of stalemating! :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you're like me and haven't exercised for years, you may want to start off with some simple body-resistance exercises, rather than jumping straight into lifting. Sit-ups, ab crunches, squats and press-ups will get those muscles working so you find getting into lifting easier and you'll be less prone to injury.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Started doing Starting Strength this week alongside my other excercise and healthy eating. 2lb off this week which is my first loss in a few weeks of stalemating! :)

Nice, great to hear that you've got things moving again.
  • Emmiejayne90
    Options
    I think we could all benefit from listening to the advice of HelloDan!
  • Sazzl3pie
    Options
    I think my body is just refusing! I got down to 17.13 which seemed like a great achievement. Then I hit my period and it all went to pot :( I hate myself lol!!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I think my body is just refusing! I got down to 17.13 which seemed like a great achievement. Then I hit my period and it all went to pot :( I hate myself lol!!

But, if you keep at it, when you're finished the pounds will soon "drop" off again. It's most likely to be water retention.
  • Sazzl3pie
    Options
    Its just hard to keep motivated when its yo-yoing like that, been jumping between 18/18.5 since September. Back up to 18.4 today however I have put a dress on for work that I haven't worn in a while and its definitely loser so that's a good sign I guess.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Its just hard to keep motivated when its yo-yoing like that, been jumping between 18/18.5 since September. Back up to 18.4 today however I have put a dress on for work that I haven't worn in a while and its definitely loser so that's a good sign I guess.

fluctuations happen... dont worry about it... take monthly pictures for progress and dont worry too much about scale weight, it doesnt tell the full picture, as your dress shows!