Crazy dreams

Options
sb4480
sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
Over the past week or so my SO has reported that I'm having really vivid and active dreams. Active in the sense that I sit straight up in bed and carry on full conversations...in my sleep. Is this related to the keto WOE? Anyone else having this issue? I've been keto for about 2 weeks now.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Quite a few posts on dreams over at reddit r/keto.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=dreams&restrict_sr=on

Most are dreams about carbs :laugh: but a few seem to be about vivid or weird dreams. It does seem to be a "thing" that some experience.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yes. :huh:
    Me tooooo!

I've noticed a major difference in my sleep quality & it almost feels as though I never go into a deep stupor of a sleep (if that makes any sense). It feels like a waking sleep, I'm aware of dreams & the surreal quality is gone from them. They feel more like waking memories & have a logic to them that feels realistic, until I wake up.

Also, when I wake up, I get my bearings within a minute or so & I'm awake, refreshed & full of energy. A stark difference from my carb-laiden days :blushing:

Anyhow...yes, my dreams are very very strange :bigsmile:

giphy.gif
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Funny you should say that, my dreams have become much more "strange" and vivid since I got into Keto too. Makes me wonder if it has something to do with your brain using Ketones instead of Glucose for its fuel source. Hmmm.....weird.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I'm with darlingdani, too. My dreams have been surrealistic, sometimes nightmarish since I started Atkins in June. At least I no longer dream about eating pizza. Now it's usually chasing me, or a giant slice is my minister, or my copilot, etc...

Kira's links are excellent, but, they always are. :)
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    My husband asks me every morning "What whacky stuff did you dream about last night?" My dreams aren't about food at all. They are grotesque and beyond weird. I sleep pretty good until I wake up with my hear pounding in my chest!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a dream that featured carbs and a meal that had no carbless (or gluten free) options :( In the dream I reverted back to my old way of eating where I'd just eat what was available. I woke up feeling disappointed in myself :(
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Total opposite for me , iv always been kind of an insomniac , since the diet i fall asleep easier and dream less?
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    Last night I had a dream that featured carbs and a meal that had no carbless (or gluten free) options :( In the dream I reverted back to my old way of eating where I'd just eat what was available. I woke up feeling disappointed in myself :(

Maybe you should try some deep breathing exercises to relax your mind before you sleep?? Come to think of it, maybe I should too. My dream last night would make someone sick if I posted it.

On a side note...losing control in your dream is much better than doing it for real. Maybe you have a leg up on the rest of us, think positive!!
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've also been sleeping SO much better and have no dreams to recall
  • Comonemo
    Options
    LOL, how funny! I had that problem for the first few weeks....super vivid, and freaky! However, I used to be an insomniac and was always dragging in the morning. After the first few weeks, they stopped and now I literally hit the pillow and asleep within five minutes. I often times wake up after 8 hours thinking it was only ten minutes....but I can now jump out of bed and get moving with ease in the morning! I think it may be just a transitional period ;)
  • reggaeton3
    reggaeton3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    today I had a dream about eating white bread with nutella, cake and sugary drinks, just all the stuff I'm avoiding right now...
    then I woke up and was reaaally glad that it was only a dream haha.. jesus i would have felt really guilty all day if I had ruinied my lchf diet plan since I'm a keto newbie
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    LOL, how funny! I had that problem for the first few weeks....super vivid, and freaky! However, I used to be an insomniac and was always dragging in the morning. After the first few weeks, they stopped and now I literally hit the pillow and asleep within five minutes. I often times wake up after 8 hours thinking it was only ten minutes....but I can now jump out of bed and get moving with ease in the morning! I think it may be just a transitional period ;)

:laugh: lol! same with me!