Calorie burn during hour dressage lesson?

Options
Does anyone have an educated guess? I've seen various claims but I guess bc each person and each lesson is so different I'd say it's kind of hard to pinpoint. Any ideas?

Replies

• swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just use the calories for "horseback riding general," since the calories they give for horseback riding trotting/cantering seem very high. I know it's a rough guess, but....
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Maybe grab a Heart Rate Monitor. I burned about 800cal on a slightly terrifying trail ride once, only about an hour!
  • dqbound
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yea I've had a hard time finding out exactly how much is being burned. OR even approximately. I don't find riding hard at all so I'm kind of worried if I count it as say 300 cals that I'm not really burning that much and I'll be over eating. I do sweat when I ride but I'm never out of breath or sore. Even though I'm over weight I'm still pretty fit muscle wise. Maybe I'll start posting trot more at the end of my ride to get the extra calories burned. That seems to make me the most tired.
  • dqbound
    Options
    Shadow...that's funny. I've been on a few 800 cal rides myself !!
  • Jessica2014175
    Options
    I agree the general horseback riding seems a little high but the dressage I would think is more accurate to the current amount. If this makes sense to you, but I don't know any official amounts?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a HRM. Dressage on my horse is so tough it should be its own discipline. Arabian Dressage, where you get extra points for keeping your wiggly horse straight, and a working spook is a movement! Lets not forget the snort n blow where you only score well if no one has a clue what the horse is freaking out about.