Buying a pork/beef?

Options
Nicole9187
Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
Does anyone here have any experience in buying pork or beef local-grass fed? I'm thinking about trying it out, but I really don't know where to begin. I'm in Texas and after a quick search it looks like I have some options, but I'm still a little leary. Can anyone offer any advice or tips?

Replies

• Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually start with searches on Craigslist, although the farmer's market is a great place, too.

A good, local farmer will allow you to see his or her property and the animals on it. Ask about feed and slaughter practices to make sure they conform to your Paleo and ethical standards. Once you find a great supplier, form a lasting relationship!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I did this year and I find the farmer online. I started by looking up different organic CSA around my area and all kinds of sites related to organic and natural foods.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a great site for finding farms near you for grass fed beef....http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html. I would think there are some great farms in Texas.

Once you find a good farm, definitely build a good relationship with them. If you are a loyal customer, they usually give discounts and in some cases give you free stuff like suet if you want to venture into making your own beef tallow.