FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
338a7aa9eb2b587ceac93bf909f9eb6f.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    TGIF everyone!!

Okay, so after all my whining, my son didn't even go to the tutor yesterday (he had math, not Greek, so I helped him at home) AND today was a school holiday and he went to work with DH.

Today I was out walking to do errands with my little girl for exactly 6 hours. I had to carry her for much of that and my back is feeling it. Also, the heel pain that I've been trying to ignore for about 2 weeks officially can't be ignored any longer. I suspect it is plantar fasciitis. Boo!!! :grumble:

The good news is that I stopped by another gym and it was quite nice. I have one more gym to "scope out" which is only a block from the one today, but I was just too exhausted (& hungry) by then to drag a 3 yo into another gym. Picked up some gloves (for lifting & for pullup bar--I don't like calluses). And that's that. Being Friday, I should be doing my bodyweight exercises today, but might be too wore out at this point. Surely carrying 40lbs around half the day counts for something. haha. We'll see if I can recover tonight and hit some squats, situps, etc

Okay, so to pick your brains...anyone have any clues of helping the body to heal plantar fasciitis (preferably natural ways)??? I had it once in the past, postpartum, but it went away when I took systemic dose of ibuprofen for the postpartum wrist pain I was also having. So, I don't know how to deal with it on it's own. Ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Everyone have a great FRIDAY!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had PF and I did use iboprofen. There are stretches you can do (a bunch online if you Google it). I used to roll a tennis ball under my foot to loosen up the tendon, but I've also heard people say they would freeze a water bottle & use that. Also I bought better shoes. Make sure you've got adequate cushion (it was hard, flat shoes that caused it for me in the first place) and the right kind of support.

Hauling around a 40 pound kid for hours sounds like a pretty good workout to me!

My early trainer session this morning went really well. Got in 15 minutes on the elliptical then did a core & upper body workout with my trainer. Will get in a walk later today to get a little more cardio in. Hoping the weather lets me get out for my run tomorrow (hoping to go 6 miles). Supposed to rain (or rain/snow mix) but hopefully not until later in the day. I'm okay with running in the rain in the summer, but not so much when the temps are in the 30's.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @ Sherry (I finally looked up your name lol) - I found this link of WebMD - (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-treatment-overview) It just explains the best treatment for what you are going through my not be 100% on point just an idea for ya...

Today was yet another off day kind of forced due to a base level exercise with alarms and having to wear your alert gear...So to aviod that I just stayed in the room this morning and rested up somemore so two recovery days in a row this week but its alright. I plan on getting back into it this morning after the work and go run my 5K with my buddy from work and then workout after that.
  • SD67
    SD67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have not been doing well the past few days posting on here. I will have to change that! Well, yesterday I got back to my early morning workouts. I only did 20 minutes instead of my usually 40 - 50 but it felt really good to get back at it and not too much pain in my knee.

Today I did my morning workout for 55 minutes. I did my usual low impact walking (Dr. orders) but after every couple of laps in the gym I was at I did something else against the front of the stage (3 ft tall). So, first time I did sit down/stand up (Lifestyle Coach suggestion and they are killer) x 10, the next time (after 2 - 3 laps) I did pushups x 10, the next time I did modified spiderman x 20. Then I would repeat. Every 2 - 3 laps I would do one of those. I felt really good after.

Luckily the anti-inflammatory cream I got from the Dr. seems to be working well.
  • SD67
    SD67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @FromHereOnOut When the Dr. told me I had Fasciitis he basically told me exercise and stretching is how to fix it. He told me to get a golf ball and roll it around under my foot or do stretching. Since I have started to lose weight and exercise I haven't noticed the problem anymore. I hope you get it fixed up soon because it is definitely not fun to deal with.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hi, be careful if you get golf ball, I would use softer rubber ball, after taking that foot class I learned how tender the foot is and how easy it is to mess things up if you exercise it to hard or use too hard of ball. So think gentle if using golf ball...

I am going out across town for walk at eco resort and tea after.

Suppose to rain starting at noon so have to get going!!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Day went wacky so day off exercise, didn't have time to walk and too tired by time I got home to treadmill.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Today I did Daily Burns Intense Abs burned 474 calories. We also had a nice TKD workout for about 60 minutes. I am just tracking using my fitbit.

Tomorrow is going to busy day. I need to decide if I want to get up early on a Saturday to get a work out it. I have meetings tomorrow and expect to be sitting most of the day : (

I may have to find a short workout to start the day off even though I would rather be sleeping.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @SD67 I use a racket ball to massage my foot. It has a little give and the exercise video I was watching also suggested a tennis ball.

I had issues with my feet and had to stop doing some exercise for a while. My chiropractor in town fitted me with some kind of plastic orthodics (sorry for spelling) and it has made all the world of difference. Mine were $150 but worth every penny. I take them in and out of my shoes. He also suggested I wear different kind of shoes. Most of my shoes were slip on and didn't really fit well. I would hold them on by clenching my toes. It made my calves and toes cramp up terribly. I couldn't do push ups from my toes or much yoga because my toes would cramp and it started to effect my ability to go to my toes in Tae Kwon Do. The inserts have made a world of difference. I can do all those exercises again.

I still have issues, but that has to do with age (42) and the fact that I beat up my feet pivoting in Tae Kwon Do. I'm sure I will have some sort of arthritis later in my toes.