5 Day Pouch Test Anyone?

Options
pal00ga
pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
So I've sort of gone off the radar lately. My blender broke, so I started having cereal for breakfast which means I started my days off with carbs. And I've spent so much time on campus lately with a lot of stress, that I have been allowing myself to stress eat and order out a lot or eat whatever is in front of me on campus (usually pizza is served at all the meetings we have on campus). And then I've been going out with friends often for hispanic food or sushi (lots of rice) or something of that sort. And with Halloween and a ton of birthdays passing, I have really overindulged. I've gained about 10 lbs (I haven't weighed myself again since I saw the 7 lb increase about 2 weeks ago). With even more holidays coming up, I know I'll be even more tempted to gain even more weight, so I want to get myself in check now so I'll be stronger to saying 'NO' to all that junk food.
Soooo my desire is to get back on track beginning with the 5 day pouch test. I need to feel the tightness from my pouch again and get off the carb ride. I'm buying a new blender tomorrow along with a bunch of liquid foods. I've finally finished up all the solids (minus a few canned goods) in my house, so I won't be overly tempted. I know this is last minute, but I need to start over the weekend to get through the liquid phase while I'm home with access to my blender and refrigerated goods.
If someone would like to join me to stay on track, that would be awesome!

I figure for the 2 liquid days, I'll mostly be having protein shakes, greek yogurt smoothies, sugar free jellos and puddings, and butternut squash soup.
Day 3: eggs, baked tilapia, chicken salad, baby quiche
Days 4 and 5: similar to 3. Adding in turkey burgers and tuna sliders and shrimp

I'll actually weigh myself tomorrow morning before starting so I know my actual weight starting. We'll see how this goes! And even if nobody joins me, I hope you all continue losing and sticking with your tool!!!

Replies

• pal00ga
    Options
    Not sure if anyone will be reading this since it doesn't appear anyone is doing this with me, but just to keep myself sane and feel like I am answering to someone, so far today has been good.
    I've got a little bit of a headache, but as I'm sick with a cold, I can't really tell if it's from all the congestion or my loss of carbs. Having a cold definitely makes it easier to focus on just taking in liquids. I went out today and got lots of milk, Greek yogurt, butternut squash soup, jello and pudding, and sugar free popsicles in case I need something 'solid'. I've just been having protein shakes and smoothies and pudding today so far. I think the hard part for me is to get out of the habit of going to the fridge to find something to eat simply because 'I'm not full now'. Not being full and actually being hungry are 2 separate things. I have to keep reminding myself of that.
    Perhaps by the end of this pouch test, I will feel the stiffness in my pouch again for longer periods with solid food. But just going shopping today for liquids made me feel so empowered... like I'm taking control of my life again!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone will be reading this since it doesn't appear anyone is doing this with me, but just to keep myself sane and feel like I am answering to someone, so far today has been good.

Please keep posting. I am reading and applauding your efforts to get back on track.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Thank you! It's so helpful to have someone listening!
  • live2jump11
    live2jump11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was only sleeved two months ago so my pouch is still plenty tight, but I too have to fight the urge to stick things in it that don't belong! I'm here too, routing for ya girly! Just remember everything you have gone through to get here, and how worth it giving up some foods has been! Keep us updated : )
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am also reading. I know how easy it is to carb load. A little carb here, a little there I combat this by making 64 oz of protein shake daily. That way it is in front of me when I open refrigerator. After plastic surgery 10 days ago and having to wear a belly binder 24/7. Small meals or liquids is the only thing available right now. I am losing again after 3 years. Hang in there.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It's great you are back on track. I think that logging all my food every day is what keeps me aware of how I'm doing, and to make adjustments if needed. You'll do fantastic.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    aww Thanks everyone! It's definitely been helpful to read everyone's replies.

Today when I weighed, I had already lost 3 lbs (of course I'm sure this is just water weight from all the fluids I've been taking in), but it was definitely encouraging. This may be TMI, but I have been peeing clear like crazy. I'm pretty sure that's a good sign of staying extra hydrated.
    I told my mother (who had rny the same time as me) about the 5 day pouch test, and she started today. So it's helpful to have someone else doing it to stay in touch with. (We live in different cities, but can still chat on the phone).

Today I stayed in bed most of the day again. I feel like I'm getting better, but I don't want to overexert myself while I'm still getting over being sick or spread it to anyone else. Just hanging around the house makes it difficult to stay away from the fridge sometimes, but since I'm doing all liquids, I just make a protein shake or some green tea to sip on for a while.
    Today I mostly just drank shakes and water. I ate a little pudding and a bowl of soup, but I stuck with water mostly.
    Although I'm still sick and would love to stay in bed tomorrow, I really need to go to campus to get some work done. I didn't go shopping for food for the next phase yet, so I'll either continue doing the liquid phase for one extra day and go shopping tomorrow evening for soft proteins, or I will start off with protein shakes and smoothies the first half of the day and have something like tuna and eggs for dinner.
    Anybody have any other soft protein meal ideas?
  • live2jump11
    live2jump11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job! Not sure if it counts for your phase but I live on the Morningstar Meatless Meatballs, Sausage Links, and Sausage Patties. They are very soft but do contain fiber. They are high in protein and low in fat. Example: for three of the meatballs (about what I can usually eat) its 78 calories, 3 grams of fat, 5 carbs, and 8 grams of protein. Not as great as straight chicken or turkey as far as calorie/fat/carb/protein ratio but man they are so tasty they make me think I'm getting something good. Plus they are good to break up the monotony! Feel better!
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do this every once in awhile too to get back on track. I just do two days of liquids though, and then back to my normal routine. Good luck! I hope it works out for you! :) You're right, it is nice to have someone who will listen when doing things like this, because it's not as easy as it sounds!
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Well today has basically been like another liquid day. I'm still sick, so a friend brought me some chicken soup. It's mostly just liquid but does have a few pieces of chicken and veggies which were nice and soft. Other than the soup, I've just been having protein shakes. I lost another pound (of water weight I'm sure) in the last day, so that's 4 lbs of the 7.2 I gained over the last 2 months. Heading in the right direction! I'm sure the next 3 will be more difficult to get back off, but I'm already just so encouraged having lost more than half the weight I gained back. I honestly thought it would be more difficult. I guess I really wasn't focusing so much on hydration anymore either.
    I don't have any headaches, so it's pretty easy to just be eating liquids for the most part. I still need to go get some actual food from the store, but it's difficult to think of going out of the house. I don't want to spread germs
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Yesterday I ate a lot of soups and even fit in some shrimp and grits. I didn't want to surprise my pouch by putting in anything really solid. I ate slowly and felt that old familiar feeling of fullness again. I wanted to eat more (as I hadn't eaten nearly what I normally eat), but I stopped when I felt my tummy rumble. That's my personal full indicator.
    I even started realizing that I'm back to having to slowly drink my protein shakes again. I had gotten to where I was drinking them like water (not chugging, but not having a hard time getting them down pretty quickly). Now I drink a shake over about 15 minutes or so if I'm focusing on finishing it. Longer if I'm just sipping on it while I do something.
    I remember how well I used to do when I started my day off with a shake. It's true for me that if I just start my day off positively, I will continue that course throughout the day.
    I went grocery shopping yesterday to stock up on A BUNCH of fresh veggies, cheeses, meats, and other things for cooking. I bought a lot of stuff that would be easy to throw together to take in a lunch box for classes. (Salads, fruits, veggies, casserole stuff, baby quiche stuff, meats for rollups, etc). I really love eggface recipes, and I decided to go back to her blog for new recipe ideas. If I keep things fresh and yummy looking, I'll enjoy them more.
    I also bought a bunch of stuff to spice up my protein shakes. When I have a shake, it generally replaces an entire meal for me, so I have no issue adding a few sugar free goodies to them or some whipped cream to make them even tastier as long as I'm not overindulging in sugars or carbs.
    I bought NO bread or popcorn or rice or anything of that sort. I'm trying to stay away from the carbs.
    Oh no.. I lied... I did buy a pack of low carb tortillas. They are 80 calories and 5 net carbs. They are just good for when I need something thin to put meat on.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating. Such a simple concept, so hard to do sometimes. Glad you are doing well.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

It sounds like you're knowing what needs to be done to get back on the program. I'm glad to see you're spending time on the Message Boards too. Here you can get the encouragement and the support that sometimes isn't available through friends and family. I believe it's difficult for people whom haven't had the surgery, or who've always been thin, to even began to comprehend what we go through. It, once again, goes to show that having this WLS's isn't easy as they may think.

Here's a trick I've done with pizza, I scrape off the toppings and throw out the crust. But I've only been able to eat the topping from 1 piece of pizza. Don't know if you've tried that or not too. The same goes with a hamburger or taco, etc. I just throw out all the bread and tortillas.

Hang in there, and get back to recording your food intake here to keep yourself on track. Keep checking in each day, and I bet those 10 lbs. will soon come off you.

Good luck!!
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Today I had solid meals and noticed they were much smaller than what I had been eating. This morning I couldn't sleep, so I got up with my best friend (who happens to be my roommates live in girlfriend) at 6AM and made some breakfast. I had yummy shrimp and grits with some veggies tossed in. I decided to go back to bed after a while and had a protein shake while getting ready for the day.
    Before heading to campus, I prepared a nice lunch box with 3oz of shrimp and grits, .8oz smoked gouda, .7oz brie, half a small green apple, and half a chocolate protein bar. It was a little over 300 calories I believe and very yummy. I took my time eating it an wasn't hungry again until dinnertime.
    For dinner, I baked some eggplant slices and warmed up 2 slices with some cheese and tomato sauce. MMM That will make a delicious lunch to take to campus tomorrow :)
    Basically, I'm saying I'm past the pouch test now and just getting back to normal meals. I'm not sure if this week has physically altered my pouch any or if it's just made me mentally more aware. Either way, I'm glad I did it and I know what to do to get back on track if I lose my way again ;)
    Thank you all for your support!!
  • aspeed911
    Options
    I did the 5 day pouch test a few weeks ago. I wasnt eating the wrong foods or gaining wt but had been in a long stall. I am 16 months out from bypass and only had a few pounds left i wanted to lose and i wasnt sure if it was a stall or if i had just lost all i was going to lose. The test worked and i lost 2 pounds that week and have lost a couple more since. It did exactly what i wanted it to do which was shake up the system enough to get things going again. Good luck to you.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    When I said I thought the pouch test only mentally changed the way I ate and didn't really physically do anything to my pouch, I was wrong.
    I had been able to eat a decent bit of food without getting sick at all over the last few months. Friday night, I hosted a game night at my house and had cheese fondue with broccoli and apples to dip. I barely had any of it when I realized I was full. I tried to eat just one more bite because the cheese was so good, but I got sick and had to run to the bathroom for a bit. I was really grateful for it though. That's the whole reason I chose bypass over other surgeries! I NEED something to push me and give me immediate backfire when I make bad eating choices.
    So I am definitely a believer in this pouch test now!