Splenda? Does it or doesn't it?

Options
Domane1963
Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
Trying to get a definitive answer on whether Splenda gives you an insulin spike. Internet reports are at best ambiguous and the packaging has "suitable for diabetics" plastered all over it. DOES it make a difference to a low-carb WOE? Does anyone know for sure????

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's not the best choice, though its approved with a 1g/packet carb count on Atkins and south beach. I prefer stevia and it doesn't cause a insulin reaction.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I just learned to eat without any sweetener, saves me so much trouble and makes my food tasting better as it is. But I also have heard stevia is the best.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes like ****...no offense to the two ladies who prefer it. Splenda says that there is les than 1 gram per packet. No idea about the insulin thing, i guess you could test your blood before and after.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes like ****...no offense to the two ladies who prefer it. Splenda says that there is les than 1 gram per packet. No idea about the insulin thing, i guess you could test your blood before and after.

I don't prefer it, I said I have heard... I prefer no sweeteners at all. But yeah I also have heard some don't like its taste.
  • puckertoe
    puckertoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get the impression that it triggers insulin release in some people and not others. Why not buy your self some KetoStix and test your urine after ingesting some? I know that urine testing isn't as accurate as blood testing but it would surely tell you if you go out of ketosis when you eat artificial sweeteners. Personally I avoid any processed foods.. including artificial sweeteners.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Trying to get a definitive answer on whether Splenda gives you an insulin spike. Internet reports are at best ambiguous and the packaging has "suitable for diabetics" plastered all over it. DOES it make a difference to a low-carb WOE? Does anyone know for sure????

There is no definitive........one size fits all kind of answer. Splenda can give some people an insulin spike because their body metabolizes it as sugar.................the next person may not.

Splenda doesn't bother my husband, but it bothers me................
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

LOL I totally agree. I don't prefer it, I just force myself to use it. In general I'm trying to stay away from sweets, so I use even the stevia sparingly.