strenght training

Options
Ok ladies ,I'm 50,have around 40 lbs to go ,have lost 88lbs since april 2012,do new rules of lifting for women 3x a week and kickboxing 5x a week, back was hurting a little on Tuesday after lifting , did my step kickboxing Wednesday ,back was really hurting ,I decided to finish the workout even with stabbing pain. Long story short, ended up in Dr's office in pain, bad pain! She told me "I don't like the type of exercise your doing,at your age "What!? my age?! (she's 54,and naturally thin). She wants me to only walk and cut my 1000-1200 calorie intake lower, I asked exactly what can I eat on this low intake and how low will I need cut to keep going and get this last 40lbs off? she said to come back when back is better and we'd talk. I requested to see a nutritionist ,she said ok to that, so ladies, what do you think about working out hard, and lifting weights at this very old age, any suggestions ,and what type of workouts are you doing? I have low thyroid problems so it makes the weight loss slow ,but I'm still doing it, I have only lost 8 lbs in 120 days and am very frustrated, as I am so close to my goal, so I have been pushing myself a bit more, any advice?
thanks,
Schatzie

Replies

• ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Don't you just hate the "at your age" tag? :angry:
    Personally, I don't think you should be going lower with your calories, you'll be starving and feeling deprived - and we all know where that leads, don't we? Maybe just walk on the treadmill until your back is better, then, could you have a couple of sessions with a PT, make sure that your lifting form is correct and that ypu're not straining anything?
    Losing weight with thyroid problems is hard, I had a similar issue, went to the doctor clutching my food diary, she didn't even look at it, just said that I'd lose weight if I ate half as much and that she'd never seen a fat anorexic. Thanks, helpful.
    You've done so well, awesome weight loss, you've just got to slog through this bad patch - forward, onward and upward!! :flowerforyou:
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree about lowering calories , as for the food diary, I did the same thing with my last Dr (he's no longer there) he looked at it for a minute ,took his glasses off and very sternly looked me in the eye and said there is not 10 calories in a dunkin donut!! I about fell off my chair, and said I don't eat donuts! he said right here dunkin donuts! I said if you would pay attention to what your looking at you would see it says dunkin donuts home brewed coffee!!! End of conversation.....
    And the thyroid problem I used as an excuse for 25 years as to why I couldn't lose weight, yes it does make it difficult to lose like other people, but it can be done ,it sucks when I see friends losing at a steady pace and I get stuck on the scale, I'm happy for them, it can just gets frustrating for me when the scale won't move for weeks. I'm in this to be healthy as I get older, feel better about myself, be proud of myself, make my husband proud (say's he's always proud of me at any weight) and to buy cute clothes , so not giving up just riding this out till the scale gives in. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • ann121212
    ann121212 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well done for what you have achieved. As for being 'over the hill at 50' pffftt! - so speaks a delicate little lady (the doctor). It takes all kinds to make up this world - I know female firefighters in their 60's, kayakers in their 70's, even a 76 year old female fencing contractor (I'm 54). You obviously know what works for your own weight loss - and where to find help and new ideas. Listen to everyone and then pick what works for your own body/lifestyle.

But injured backs REALLY need to be looked after - you only have one of them and you need it to last for a whole lifetime. I have a bit of back trouble occasionally and have found that if i rest it completely for two days, then do light stretches for two days, followed by light exercise then build up to back strengthening excercise I can limit the amount of downtime and pain involved.
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bah humbug to the doctor's office. I feel you pain re: your back. I sometime have back problems but not age related either lol. I guess your thyroid does make it more difficult, but your doing great 88lbs is quite an achievement indeed. As for going lower I personally would be so tired on less than 1200. I've just read a lot of great stuff on a site and it helped me set my calories.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-maintenance-calculator-daily-calorie-requirements/

I would try to see what that site says and go from there. it's a maintenance calculator, but you then go on to figure out what you need for fat loss. I've lost a few pounds in a couple of weeks from following this advice and he's very straight talking.

I'm on 1320 and feel good. Although I realize your thyroid plays a part in it all. I've just started a walk with Leslie Sansone work out and although she's probably been around a long time I've just discovered her. Some may think it's lame just walking in the house but it's really more of a low impact aerobics and I've really toned up and gone down a dress size without losing much weight, it's also good for my back. Good luck with it all.
  • sjsmith9
    sjsmith9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You've accomplished a lot already by loosing 88 lbs. Sounds like maybe also you don't have confidence in your doctor, maybe you should look for second opinion. I have knee problems and my doctor recommends swimming and cycling but I like step/dance aerobics so I modify some and continue on my way. :smile:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    First off kudo's to you for getting a female Dr. secondly I would move along till I got one that wasn't an idiot. Good luck!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    First, how much do you weigh, perhaps you're not getting enough calories & that's slowing your metabolism. But no matter how much you weigh, you definitely shouldn't go lower than 1200. On the hypothyroidism...if your TSH levels are in a good range, then it shouldn't be an issue. That said, a LOT of labs & doctors are using outdated normal ranges. The practicing board certified endocrinologist expert who wrote, "Thyroid for Dummies," recommends 0.5-2.5. If you're not in that range, then I'd talk to your doctor about upping your dose. Remember, the higher your TSH is, the more medicine your body needs, because it's a sign the body is trying to produce it on its own.

On the back, I used to have trouble until I started doing some VERY easy (they seem more like stretching) exercises developed by physical therapist McKenzie. Most physical therapists are actually switching over to his methods, around the world, because of the great results they get. I joked w/my physical therapist that she was working herself out of a job. Here's the book link, but you don't have to read it all, just go straight to the back exercises section.

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Life-Rapidly-Relieve/dp/0452282772/

Also, weights, if done correctly should help ease back pain. If you're sore the next day, that's ok, but being sore 2 days later means you're going too hard. Increase your weights and/or reps very gradually. For weight training, if you're aren't sure about your form, I'd recommend "Body for Life."

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Mental-Physical-Strength/dp/0060193395/

Definitely avoid that doctor in the future.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think lifting is the best exercise I could do. I need to keep all the muscle I can......sorry that your Dr said that stuff to you.
  • RobinCT821
    RobinCT821 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Strength training is so great for us at any age, but I agree, your back is your first priority.
  • Bmar26
    Bmar26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Strength training is extremely important as we get older. After the age of 40 we gradually start to lose some of our muscle mass.
    Our muscle increases our metabolism which in turn helps us to lose weight. A couple of years ago I bought a book by Tom Venuto called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. It's long and detailed, but it goes into exactly how our body's work and what it really takes to lose weight, this book has changed my life. I'm currently reading Rachel Cosgrove's book on weight training for women as well and it follows pretty much the same principals.

That being said if you have pain, you need to listen to your body and take care of that first. But then just go for it. I'm 54 and since I started strength training my knees and hips don't hurt anymore and I feel better then I have in years.
  • 1flowergirl
    Options
    Thanks ladies, one thing I did mention to my new dr was increasing my thyroid meds ,she flat out said no, I have dealt with thyroid problems for 26 years now and know my body better than the dr who spent 5 minutes with me ,she is a by the book dr, one thing she did say was,"you'll probably call patient relations after you leave to request a new dr",maybe she's also a mind reader, as for the strength training I will continue, even with the scale not moving my body is changing clothes are fitting different and I feel fantastic, so yes I will continue with the program, maybe modified a bit for DLs as they have from day 1 aggravated my back, yes improper form may be an issue, so will also get some help with that ,thank you all so much for all the help and suggestions, and yes,50 is NOT over the hill , its the beginning of a new better chapter in life!
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Depending on your TSH levels, that's really ridiculous she won't even consider raising the dose. There are actually people now who get the meds who are considered sub-clinical...that is they have symptoms, but for anyone else a normal TSH. But experts now believe people can be in the normal range, but need meds due to symptoms. Definitely get a new doc. I think the fact that she even suggested you'd ask for a new doctor is an indication she knows she's not on firm ground & how rude of her to say it, even if it was true. I'd mention that when you ask for a new one.
  • 1flowergirl
    Options
    Sharon, I agree, I have dealt with what is "normal" TSH levels for me with all but 1 dr it is very frustrating ,I am seriously considering seeing a dr at UCLA who is a firm believer everyone is different and what may be "normal" for the general population, is not normal for everyone, unfortunately he does not take my insurance so this will be out of pocket and quite expensive, I will be requesting a visit with an endocrinologist, within my provider list and go from there. Again thanks so much for all the help.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Sharon, I agree, I have dealt with what is "normal" TSH levels for me with all but 1 dr it is very frustrating ,I am seriously considering seeing a dr at UCLA who is a firm believer everyone is different and what may be "normal" for the general population, is not normal for everyone, unfortunately he does not take my insurance so this will be out of pocket and quite expensive, I will be requesting a visit with an endocrinologist, within my provider list and go from there. Again thanks so much for all the help.

Sometimes, even if a doctor doesn't take or participate w/a particular insurance, their office (or you on your own) can still file for reimbursement for you. So you'd pay up front, but then file & the insurance check would go straight to you. But I agree sometimes it's definitely worth the money, & I've paid out of pocket for a better doc as well. Hope you find someone who understands & you start feeling better soon.