Sick after surgery

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
This morning I woke up with a horrible sore throat, first time I have been sick since I had my surgery almost 6 weeks ago. For those of you who are further down the road, is there anything I can take for a sore throat/headache? I know I have to avoid certain kinds of medications but I am not sure which are allowed post surgery.

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    To be sure, check with your doctor. But I know I couldn't have any ibuprofen or aleve etc. So first I had liquid Tylenol (could only find kids and it was really sweet) but have since graduated to Tylenol capsules. Not sure what you're up to swallowing and digesting yet. Feel better soon!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know I can't have ibuprofen or Aleve, I left a message for the doctor, just waiting for a reply! I am actually taking my meds whole without crushing them, and I am not having trouble digesting anything, thank goodness!
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    If you are only 6 weeks out, I would make sure whatever they give you can be broken up into tic tac size pieces.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It's primarily the NSAIDS that are off limits, permanently. Acetominophen products like tylenol are ok. Some look for liquids, but you can take, or empty, capsules.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There are sugar free cough syrups readily available. Also make sure it is alcohol free Remember to keep up on vitamins, chewable vitamin c, rather than OJ