Alcohol

Options
DJRonnieLINY
DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
Anyone have any experiences to share regarding adding the occasional adult beverage back into your life? Still too early in the process for me but I would like to see what others have found.

Replies

• gramsoffive
    Options
    Just had my surgery, so no personal experience. However I have spoken to someone 2 years post surgery. She said that post surgery, your body absorbs the alcohol much faster. A very quick response to alcohol. She also said that the sugar content in most alcohols create the dumping symptom. And, of course, with beer that is carbonated and we aren't supposed to go there at all.

I love wine, so I'm hoping eventually to be able to have a glass of wine now and then. Probably not as often as in the past!!!
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm a year and a half post op. While I'm good to stick to my diet in other areas, on weekends, I allow myself adult beverages, and definitely more than we should have. i generally try to go with lighter drinks like vodka with a sugar free mixer or something low calorie. You definitely absorb with alcohol much faster and it's more intense than before surgery. I have only dumped with alcohol once and that was after quickly drinking a very sweet (56 g of sugar!!!) drink very quickly. I like sweet drinks, but even that was just too sweet and I knew better than to chug it. Anyways, just be responsible and listen to your body. Definitely don't chug or plan on drinking a lot. Pace yourself. :)
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing to discuss this, my son's wedding is this Friday! Actually, I've tried wine already, and just need to go slow with not too much. Slainte.
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the band and was able to drink wine and other drinks 6 weeks post op. I do not find any difference to pre-band but there shouldn't be really because the mechanics for liquids have no changed.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I had VSG 10 months ago and have had a drink here and there. It does have a much quicker effect but I also sober quickly after. Because I had vsg and not bypass, I don't have issues with dumping anyway. The thing I have to be the most cautious about is that alcohol is dehydrating and so substituting a hydrating beverage with that is dangerous since I have difficulty staying hydrated anyway.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't plan on being anywhere the next day either! I found that by pacing myself I was able to have about 3 glasses of this amazing cocktail we mixed up (no added sugar and relatively low calorie, but OMG was it good!). I felt wonderful that evening and night, but when I woke up and the room spun the next morning, I knew I was in trouble! I was drunk till close to noon the next day!

I just plan on free weekends to have something like this. Otherwise I can have a little bit of something (I like tequila and 7up Zero for something quick and easy, because beer is still as nasty as ever!) to not always be the automatic designated driver. But sometimes it's cool to be able to so easily fill that role too!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not only do your blood alcohol levels rise very quickly, but they go much higher (dangerous levels/alcohol poisoning) and remain elevated for a long time. This info was presented at bariatric conference this fall by a RNY ALCOHOLIC. Sad story, not a happy end.
  • txin1
    txin1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 10 months post-op and I have an occasional glass of wine (or two) with no problems. I just count the calories in my daily diary and enjoy!
  • bel738
    bel738 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    drinks, drinks, drinks,,lol i have been banded two years last year i started to drink and relized the alchol that i did was vodka and cranberry if at home it was diet cranberry once in awhile i would have a mixed drink but only one because i am diabetic and although i do not have to take meds to control my diabetes i still have to watch my sugar intake so having anything other than vodka and cranberry is very limited , i do know and found out the hard way at times while having fun drinking the alchol does take its toll after an hour or so and will be very intoxicated so i have learned to watch my intake and drink slow. i also enojy vodka and water and take my own crystal light to avoid sugar intake.
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve in late August but on Halloween I decided I'd have a few drinks. No beer, I'd rather avoid gas bubbles and all. I stuck w/ shots of rum, vodka and a few long island ice teas. Between the surgery and the fact that I'm on bloodthinners I expected (and was kinda hoping) I'd get a pretty good buzz going but it didn't really make much of a difference to me. Oddly, after a week long plateau of no weight loss, the next morning after Halloween I checked and had lost 2lbs and have been back to losing about a pound every other day or so.

53414282.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • punkin175
    Options
    I am just over 5 months out and have had just a little here and there on special occasions. I know it hits me much much faster than it used to. Wine I can handle a little more of, but I had about 3 sips of a good SF margarita and I had to stop because I knew I would be in trouble if I had any more. And, I was glad I was not the one driving.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks out and I can tolerate 1/2 of wine without any stomach issues or drunkeness. I haven't tried any more that that at this point. I've stopped when I begin to feel the slightest buzz.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also just found out that rum is a bad choice for me. The fact that it's derived from sugar cane must be the problem, but something about how it metabolized made me SICK!

No problems with vodka or tequila, and I also got some peppermint schnapps (my go-to winter drink is hot chocolate with said schnapps) - but I specifically got the real German schnapps because it's made from fruit, whereas the American (read: cheap) version is made of chemicals and added sugar. I use SF dark cocoa and it is the best drink EVER!

I'm finding that it's a good idea to know what the type of alcohol I choose is based from.