Light of the World - James Lee Burke

Options
2»

Replies

• patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    On chapter four this morning. I have to admit the first couple pages did not draw me in. The story seems to jump around a bit. I like mysteries so I will keep reading and surely get dragged in soon. Curious to see how all the little off shoot stories (the little boy witnessed the accident, the interview the daughter did with the prisoner) will come together.

Keep reading.:smile:
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just before half way in, it gets REALLY good, to me :) Things start to gel a bit.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    How is it going for everyone? It's a meaty book - I should be done by mid-week. Didn't finish it over the weekend like I had originally thought! I'm definitely enjoying it!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    With all that's been going on, I haven't cracked it in two days :( But I plan to take advantage of the nasty weather today! I've been going to bed at night (when I do most of my reading) so drained that I can't concentrate on anything.

It's really grabbed me though it took longer than some of his books (most I'm totally into in the first chapter!)
  • patsyacs
    Options
    Finished it yesterday. Good story telling, I could hardly put it down without rehashing the story line.

Patsy
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    Finished it yesterday. Good story telling, I could hardly put it down without rehashing the story line.

Patsy

Patsy - any ideas for our next book?? I should have it finished tonight or tomorrow morning!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I'm on like, pp 350 I think. Y'all carry on though, I'll catch up! I actually read a lot today... I was supposed to be cleaning my house... :blushing:
  • patsyacs
    Options
    I read a lot of romance novels. Do we want to go there - Nora Roberts or we could try a Jack Higgins novel or Dean Koontz. I'm pretty much open to suggestion.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I read a lot of romance novels. Do we want to go there - Nora Roberts or we could try a Jack Higgins novel or Dean Koontz. I'm pretty much open to suggestion.

Think of some titles and post them in the book suggestions thread! I'm ok with anything. I've read Nora Roberts before (my mom is a huge fan and sometimes I'll read one when she's done). I've never read Jack Higgins but my husband is a Dean Koontz fan, if I'm not mistaken.

Finished the book last night. What's the status for everyone - and what did you think? I personally thought it was great. It took me waaaaay longer than I expected. It's not the type of book where I get lost and read for hours - I just needed breaks! However, I thought it was great. Loved how it ended.
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I'll check in when I've finished... sorry it's taking me so long, there's been so much going on that some nights I've felt like I couldn't even concentrate enough to read! I'm going to make a point to try to get it finished this weekend :)
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had a heavy schoolwork week so am behind you guys but should finish this weekend. Really starting to enjoy it now!
  • Jinkeys
    Options
    I just did not enjoy this book. Part of the problem for me is that I'm not a noir, hard boiled detective novel fan. The other main problem that I had with this novel, was the dialogue. People just simply do not talk to eachother like that, no one's just going to sit there and let you tell them off for five straight minutes without interruption, over and over again. The rambling soliloquies, rants, and tell-offs were unrealistic to reckoning, and only served to pull me out of the story. I also did the math and was shocked to note that the main characters were hovering at the 70 year old mark, so scoring babes and getting into strenuous shooting/fighting matches seemed a bit hard to believe. I finished it, but it was difficult.
    That being said, I did enjoy his description of scene, and his poetic language, just not enough to save it for me. I knew it would be out of my comfort zone, and I'm not sorry that I gave it a try. Never hurts to branch out :)
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Beth, I think it's funny that you didn't enjoy the book and STILL beat me at finishing it! lol

I still have a hundred pages or so. I did get a lot read this weekend though!

I think it's always good to try something new; it's not whether or not it was your cuppa, but that you approached it with an open mind and gave it a try!
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I just did not enjoy this book. Part of the problem for me is that I'm not a noir, hard boiled detective novel fan. The other main problem that I had with this novel, was the dialogue. People just simply do not talk to eachother like that, no one's just going to sit there and let you tell them off for five straight minutes without interruption, over and over again. The rambling soliloquies, rants, and tell-offs were unrealistic to reckoning, and only served to pull me out of the story. I also did the math and was shocked to note that the main characters were hovering at the 70 year old mark, so scoring babes and getting into strenuous shooting/fighting matches seemed a bit hard to believe. I finished it, but it was difficult.
    That being said, I did enjoy his description of scene, and his poetic language, just not enough to save it for me. I knew it would be out of my comfort zone, and I'm not sorry that I gave it a try. Never hurts to branch out :)

I agree on a lot of what you said. I did enjoy the book because it was different than what I would have picked out and I really liked Alafair - I wish she was in it a bit more. I think she's a strong character, without being overpowering like Gretchen.

It was also out of my comfort zone, and more what my husband would read. Glad we read it!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Alafair Burke is a real person, and a writer; she has at least one novel published, I think. She's on my to-read list, I'd love to see if any of her dad's talent got passed on ;)
  • Jinkeys
    Options
    Beth, I think it's funny that you didn't enjoy the book and STILL beat me at finishing it! lol

HAHA! I took a lot longer with it than I usually do! I have read two more since finishing that one! I hope we can choose a new book soon, as I am cruising right through my current book. Incidentally, I would highly reccomend it, The Obituary Writer, by Ann Hood. It was the deal of the week through Audible for $2.95.
    I'm also reading a non-fiction by Barbara Kingsolver, called Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. I read one and listen to one for my commute, so I always have a couple going.
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Gretchen was originally introduced in Creole Belle, If I remember correctly, and from the start she's struck me more as a male fantasy than a real person. He really needs to flesh her character out a lot more, and tone her down.

Having read this series for the past 10 or so years, I've loved the realistic way in which he's had Alafair grow up right before the reader's eyes. I can see a lot of honesty and truth in that aspect of his writing.

Y'all go ahead and choose another book! I'll get this one finished and jump into the new one... if I'm always a little behind, it'll just be true to form ;)
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I saw something about Dean Koontz, i am in for that, or Stephen King (huge fan of him)
    I'll try to do the next book. Last 4 weeks i was busy with my new appartment so no time to read, but i am settled in now so have more time for it

I'll post this for ya in the "book ideas" thread! I'm certainly down for either author!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I finally finished it! And I loved it. Not as much as Bitterroot or Crusader's Cross, but I just get lost in the countryside. Whether he's writing about the swamps of Louisiana or the mountains of Montana, he just transports you right there. I thought the last paragraph was a bit hokey, perhaps could have ended it less senimentally, but I'm glad everyone made it out alive :) I've wondered if he plans to wrap up the series at some point - Burke must be nearing 90 now.