Deadlifting your own bodyweight!

Options
I've been doing the StrongLifts program since June and feel like I am coming along very slowly, but getting there. The other day I decided to try, out of curiosity, to deadlift my own body weight and I couldn't even lift it of the floor (well maybe an inch). To say I was disappointed is an understatement. How long did it take you guys to be able to lift your own weight? Or can any of you even lift more than that say 1.5x or 2x your body weight.

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, it took about 3 months for me to DL my bodyweight (150). I started SLs at the bar and was DLing my bodyweight in about six weeks. I recently had an injury and am starting again from 95lbs. Everybody is different.

How close are you to lifting your bodyweight?
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL since August I believe and I just started DLing my body weight.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started SL on 10/21 and DL my bodyweight last week. Well, I weigh 130ish and DL 135. So I was pretty excited, but that seems really wimpy compared to most women on this board!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I weigh 153 and deadlifted 165 for 4 reps today. I had deloaded and am working my way back up after an injury. I think I hit my max deadlift for 5X5 at 175 after about a month and a half or two months, but it was getting heavy and my form sucked.

When I get there this time around (which will take longer on Wendler 5/3/1), it will be more solid, but I'm not trying to do 5 reps of 5- just whatever the program calls for (today it was as many as you can do after some prep sets at 135 and 150).

You will be doing it before you know it!! Of course, it depends on your bodyweight too.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    About 2 months. But DeadLifts are my strongest lifts! It took a month to squat and OHP more than 35# !
  • fglover84
    Options
    My body weight is 160 and currently I'm at 115 for deadlifts. Although I lift at home and was stuck at 105 for ages till I could afford to get my new 45# plates, so now I've got them I'm on my way up again. I'm sure I will get there in good time. Every one else just seems to progress so fast :)
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i weigh 150 and DL 250... it took me about a year to get from BW to 100 pounds over my weight.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I progressed fast in DL and squats. I was at 195 & 185, respectively, when I hurt myself. (improperly lifting my 95lb grandma for heaven's sake :blushing: ) But my OHP was stuck at 70lbs forever. Just would not budge. There are people who flew by me on that lift. I figured I was progressing just right for me.
    Sounds like you're doing just fine. :smile:

Also, if you're eating at a deficit, you won't progress as quickly on the DL as someone who is eating at maintenance or at a surplus.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    just a note - someone mentioned not doing DL for 5x5 - you should only be doing 1x5 on DL on Stronglifts, it takes a LOT out of you!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a custom Texas schedule for the last 5 months and i've just past my DL @ 1.5BW and am approaching squat @ 1.5BW :bigsmile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh 165lbs and have been DL over that for 3 weeks.

Last night I did 185lbs 1x5 that took me about 8 weeks into the program to get there.

I would love to see me squat (after my leg is healed) or Bench my own body weight.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I weigh 153 and my DL is at 140 lbs. Not too far off.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet. I weigh a lot so it's going to take awhile to get there. :wink:
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    just a note - someone mentioned not doing DL for 5x5 - you should only be doing 1x5 on DL on Stronglifts, it takes a LOT out of you!

Oops- in my post I typed doing 5X5 -- I meant the program 5X5, NOT the reps (no 5X5 for deads) but it sounds that way when you read it, especially for anyone not familiar with the difference between that and Wendler (I was making a comparison, oops). Sorry to be unclear. Thanks Lydia for catching that and clearing it up.
  • fglover84
    Options
    Thanks ladies you are all so inspiring! I do try to eat to maintenance, if not above, and I try to get as much protein as possible. Did any of you lift before coming to SL or are these advances completely beginners gains? I had never lifted before this, and have never had this amount of strength or muscle before now! The thought of being able to squat my own body weight or 1.5x, right now is something I find hard to get my head around (currently at 77#)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I started lifting in March, never before so everything is since then (max 70kg x 1 rep squat, 90kg x 2 reps deadlift) - but I weigh about 80 something (mumble mumble) kg so it's not that dramatic compared to some of the wee dots that reside around here.. it's an individual journey though, and I'm not competing with anyone except myself and my own strength.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that everyone is different--there are some amazing women that can squat incredible numbers that I can't even fathom squatting. In contrast, I'm a great "puller" and deadlifts and rows are the ones that I seem to progress the fastest on.

But to answer your question--I started around the same time as the OP, and DL'ed my body weight (100 lbs) the first time in August, deloaded to 70 lbs in October, and hit my body weight again earlier this month (and am now at 117).
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have wondered if it matters whether you are overweight or not. I mean, will I be able to lift as much when I weigh less? Or will I be able to lift more? Right now I weight 148, but deadlift 105. What about when I weigh 125? How much will I be able to lift then? Will it mean I am weaker if I can only lift 125 versus 148? I hope this isn't clear as mud.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I think it means that if you are lifting now, as you reduce in weight, assuming that you don't lose all your muscle mass as you do so (which you won't because you are picking up heavy things and putting them down again) your strength to mass ratio will be higher than it would be if you started lifting once you are at the lower figure. People training for comps seem to bulk up therefore increasing their strength, then slowly cut to retain as much of that strength as possible while at a lighter weight. Does that make sense?
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since March, but left SL back in July. I'll hit 1.5 times my BW sometime in February (I weigh somewhere in between 165-170).