hypER thyroidism, but overweight??

Options
I was recently diagnosed with hypErthyroism at 50 pounds overweight! I have a mixture of hypO and hypER symptoms. Mostly hypO though. Now of course I'm on tapizole. So, I'm needing to know if there's anyone else out there like me, and what to do about losing weight while on a Med that makes you gain. :(

Replies

• bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi queenmommy_1,
    I suffer from graves disease which causes chronic over prodution of thyroid horemones.I had a mixture or symptoms just like you. The Drs said I should be skinny as a rake. Unfortunatley I went from a very thin me to a massively overweight me.
    I had my thyroid removed in the last week of April this year, and have managed to drop 10% of my body weight since. I still have another 15kgs to lose.
    I have also heard of a few other women who had a massive gain when the drs said they should of lost. I couldn't lose any weight while I had my thyroid with or without medication, it just didnt make any difference. Now the thyroid is removed I am on throxine which is tyroid hormone, it can make some people gain weight but for me I am finally able to lose it.
    I also read some very interesting articles on lugol's iodine solution which can be fantastic for some. It might be worth you doing some research on it. Make sure you consult a medical professional before starting any new medications though.
    Also if your Dr is not getting you the results you desire you can always get a second oppinion. Two heads are better than one.
    Good luck with your jouney. feel free to add me if you like. Take care
  • queenmommy_1
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding. I've thought about Grave's but, not being familiar with it, assumed it didn't fit me. I used to be really thin, but after two pregnancies, gained 60 pounds. I will definetly look up Graves and I'm definetly thinking about finding another doc. Thanks again. I'll add you right now.