New to this group

Options
Hi everyone. I joined mfp in august, but only really got serious about the program a little over a month ago. I actually gained 6 pounds in August till the time I decided to work the plan. Since then I have lost 10 pounds. I used to be on Medifast and boy did I lose the weight, but the program was not a lifestyle I could maintain and when I quit, I gained more weight then ever back. I realize now that was not a healthy way to lose weight.

I am looking for some support. Trying to get 70 pounds off. Having some trouble gaining and losing the last 2 pounds since I increased my calories on this program. I had initially been consuming 1200 calories a day and expending 440 in exercise without eating back the calorie deficit. I lost 10 pounds fairly easily but really got to feeling pretty bad physically due to eating what I realized was only really about 750 calories by the time I exercised. I was so tired all day and irritable as well as starving all the time. Anyway, I am taking things slower. Shooting for a pound a week loss each week and consuming the calories that I acquire due to exercising. The problem is, is that I am yo-yoing back and forth between 2 pounds since I made this change and going no where. It is frustrating, but I am trying to stick with it.

Replies

• tputsche
    Options
    Keep working at it. One thing I would recommend is a body media device. It helps you keep pretty accurate track of what you are really doing, combined with MFP. Its probably the best device out there, my family doc gave me one, and I didn't take it too seriously at first. Now i use it non stop, and when I travel, i find it really helpful keeping track of exercise, and mfp for food. I shoot for 1200 calories, and because I'm trying to have a surgery before the end of December I've been crazy hard at it. (para-esophageal hernia my doc said lose 20 lbs or consider having gastric sleeve surgery at same time) its Hard to do 1200 calories, for a long period of time,especially when you exercise, I try to do about 500-800 calories a day in exercise. i teach fitness classes, and then go do another hour split between cycling and weight lifting. I eat a fair amount of protein before I go in the morning and then get something when I'm done. I only eat a few extra of the calories never the whole amount because on my off days, I tend to not get as much exercise as my work days. Over 6 weeks my weight loss averages 2 lbs a week, but I wish it was more. But I know better. I am looking to lose 75 - 90 pounds total but my immediate goal is a 20 lb loss, to get my surgery. The hardest thing to give up was my nightly wine. but after the first month it got easier . It might be easier to just work at 1500 calories for a bit, and adding 100 calories of your work out calories to that. so that you get the exercise calories but have also increased your regular calories til things even out a bit. I rarely get hungry later but eat a lot of bulky veggies. If I need something at night, the only diet thing I eat is sugarfree jello-10 calories with cool whip. comes out 35 calories and its kind of my little life saver. otherwise nothing is diet food. I hope things smooth out for you