Cold Weather Running

Options
Hi I'm about to start Week 2 on C25k and would like any tips on running in cold weather as the temperature drops. How do you handle the cold winter? I bought some moisture wicking athletic tops I can layer on top of one another, I also wear a hat & thin gloves but still feel strange running in 30 degrees at 7pm at night. I don't want to use a treadmill. Thanks, J.

Replies

• discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I bought a down jacket last winter that was perfect when I ran in 20 degree weather last week. I wore my hoodie underneath and a pair of gloves kept me toasty.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do you feel strange or do you feel cold? Because running in those conditions qualify you as a badass.

You could also get a zippered fleece top
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I live in Vermont, so right now I'm running in cold temps if I'm outside. I wear a wicking long sleeved top with thumb holes, capris (still hasn't been cold enough to go to tights, but I think that's coming soon), regular shoes and socks, a windbreaker over the top of the wicking long sleeved top, a fleece band that goes around my head and covers my ears, and light fleece gloves. So far (down to about 30 degrees F), I've been fine with that combination. I am usually cold at the start but warm up fairly quickly.

The cold so far hasn't been my biggest obstacle. I've had to move a lot of runs inside to the treadmill because it is dark so early. I can't really run around here in the dark - not enough streetlights and horrible sidewalks. On the weekends though, I'm still outside because I can go mid-late morning when it's cold but bright.
  • cdh5068
    Options
    I had my first cold run on Monday, it was 24F. I wore leggings, an Under Armour long sleeve, a thin 1/4 zip long sleeve, gloves, and a Bondi Band with a baseball hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. I was worried that I would be freezing, but after about 10 minutes I was warm and even rolled my sleeves up. I didn't really realize how cold it was until my run ended and I stopped to stretch. You really need less clothes than you think, once you start running you'll warm up fast.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The big thing is going to be dress to 10-20 degrees warmer that it truly is. It will depend on how warm your body gets. I dress to 10 degrees, some of the people I run with dress to 20 or 30 degrees warmer. So basically, if it is 30 degrees there, dress to 40 degrees to account for your body temp rising.

Runner's World had this guide, and it is what my running group uses as a guide for cold weather running:

-30 degrees: 2 tops, 1 bottom. Long-sleeve base layer and a vest keep your core warm. Tights (or shorts, for polar bears).
    -10 to 20 degrees: 2 tops, 2 bottoms. A jacket over your base layer, and wind pants over the tights.
    -0 to 10 degrees:3 tops, 2 bottoms. Two tops (fleece for the cold-prone) and a jacket. Windbrief for the fellas.
    -Minus 10 to 0 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms, extra pair of mittens, 1 scarf wrapped around mouth or a balaclava.
    -Minus 20 degrees:3 tops, 3 bottoms, 2 extra pairs of mittens, 1 balaclava, sunglasses. Or, says Arribas, “Stay inside.”
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just to think, a couple months ago I was b*tching about the heat and humidity. Sigh.

I'm now struggling with the fear of not being properly clothed--either not wearing enough, but more so wearing too much that I end up hot and have to ditch something. This fear has led to me avoiding running on mornings when it has been ~35 or below. Need to get over this.

I find that my head and hands heat up first, so I typically don't cover them. On the few days I've run in the 30's, I have worn compression capris under running shorts on bottom. My usual compression tank plus a long-sleeve shirt on top. I start out cold but am usually fine a few minutes in. But again, the fear just cripples me sometimes. It's so stupid--not like I can't go back and pick up something if I do have to drop it. It's also not like I have really expensive stuff, anyway.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options