So yeah.. Week 7+

Options
jeffd247
jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
As you may have read earlier, When I started this program I signed up for a 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning (11/28). The way this times out in terms of scheduling is that I will be graduating from the program the day before the race. Based on that I have a couple of questions

1. My last day on C25k is the day before the race. I wasn't going to run that day. Should I just go for a short jog or should I go the full 30 minutes that day?

2. Right now I run for time. W6D3 was a 22 minute run ~or~ 2.25 miles. I run an 11 minute mile right now, so I couldn't quite make the 2.25 miles in that time. I'm thinking of scrapping the "run for time" method and was planning to just run for distance. That means

W7D1 - Run 2.5 Miles
W7D3 - Run 2.5 Miles
W7D3 - Run 2.75 Miles
W8D1 - Run 2.75 miles
W8D2 - Run 3 Miles
W8D3 - Run 3 Miles
W9D1 - Run 3 Miles
W9D2 - Run 3.1 Miles
W9D3 - Run the race!

I'm not confident that I will be able to run the full 3.1 miles on race day. The only other time I was unable to achieve something in this program was on W1D1, and since then I have always made it to the next week by completing my intervals.

I don't care how long it takes me, I just ~do not~ want to walk any portion of this race. I also would like to have something in the tank so I don't look like I might die at the finish line.

Any thoughts on switching to distance vs. time training?

3. My wife was planning to run the race too. She is in a better shape than I am her pace is a minute faster than mine. I would like it if she ran with me, but don't want to ask her to slow down to run with me. I'd like to to get to have her own achievements if she wants, even though this whole thing was my idea. What are peoples opinions on that? It would be nice if we ran together, but I wouldn't be offended if she took off ahead of me.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I did time, until I graduated and now I do a mixture. Some runs are timed, others distance.

1. That is going to be up to you. But personally, I would use the day before as an extra rest day. If anything, do some sort of cross training, like a bike ride or a nice walk.

2. I would keep going for time. Trust the program. If you need to slow down during the 5K, then slow down a bit to recover (I view slow jogs as cheat recoveries haha). But there is something about a race that carries you, and you will be able to bridge the final 3/4 of a mile.

As far as your wife, I would leave that up to her. But, don't get offended if she wants to run on her own.
  • jeffd247
    Options

2. I would keep going for time. Trust the program.

Thanks for the reply and another way of thinking about it. I was thinking I could swap time for distance at this point, since the program reads "Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes)".

I'm going to try for distance tonight, and see how it goes. I might just pass out. If that doesn't work out I'll go back to time.
  • jeffd247
    Options
    Well... I did 2.5 miles tonight and I was really dreading it. My pace was really slow, but I did it. I think if I can stick to the "distance" side of the plan from here on out I should be in good shape.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Whether you do time or distance, you should be physically capable of running the full 5k - just not necessarily in 30 minutes. I'd expect your mile time to slow down a tad as you increase the distance - it'll increase rapidly in the few months after completing C25k.

You'll also do a lot better in the 5k, due to race day magic.

Don't worry about the race. Just focus on enjoying the C25k program. It'll all come together when it needs to. Trust yourself. Trust the program.

I'd also rest the day before your 5k. Let the race be your graduation!
  • jeffd247
    Options
    I just need to vent a little bit...

I hit a little snag this weekend and got some sort of sinus cold. I tried to take some cold medicine and run yesterday but that was a big mistake. I just couldn't run. I feel so weak. I wasn't out of breath but my feet felt like they had 100lb weights on them.

I didn't take any medicine this morning because I wanted to see if that was what had made me feel so weak and it's definitely this sinus cold. I'm sure the antihistamine wasn't helping. I'm just going to have to ride this thing out for a couple of days and get back on track I guess.

I'm so close to my goal so this is really irritating. I hope this is gone in a day or two.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I did the distance version throughout. I think it's just a personal preference. When you finish the timed version, you should be capable of running 5k, even if it takes longer than 30 minutes. (My first 5k was around 33 minutes.)

Hope you feel better soon!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I had to sit out one day with a cold too. I just repeated the day and moved on. It will really be ok, I promise. You're still going to do fine during your race.
  • jeffd247
    Options
    Today was the first day I have been able to run in over a week. The last time I even tried to run was last Monday and you read how that went.

Tonight I went out and I could barely make it a mile. I had to walk for a mile before I felt like I could run again and then I could only muster up another mile. I'm so angry I can't believe it. I feel like I have been set back weeks, and I don't think I am even back 100% yet.

This silly Turkey trot is next week, and it's by far not the most important thing in the world... but it is what I set myself to achieve. I'm sure I am overreacting but I am just so mad right now. This race was going to be a "jumping off" point for me. I'm going to keep pushing and hopefully as my energy returns I can at least get back to where I felt I was last week.

*kicks a rock*
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What Becky (rduhlir) had me do was warm up walk for five minutes, then run half a mile and walk a minute (four times for a total of two miles). The next run, drop as many of the walk intervals as you can. Once you're running for two miles straight, go for the three. Don't push too hard, but you can probably get back on track. Week 7 sucks anyway.

The reality is once you get past week 6, your body has made physiological changes, so you don't ever go back to pre-runner status. You have the blood vessels, you have the muscles and you're building the joints and ligaments. Your BRAIN has started to change. So has your heart.

I'm right there with you. I ran a half marathon, so you'd think I could use that nice base and make my 33 minute 5k goal. Oh, hell no. Nope, I get an upper respiratory infection that knocks me out for two solid weeks. I still have a nice base and am recovering well, but it's not the way it would be if I'd been able to stay running.

Same damn thing happened after my 10k four months ago. And THAT was a slog to return from because the summer heat started at the same time. I struggled with my form until about a month ago.

My pulmonologist says that this is all worth it and that I'm better off running and she's right. But I'd just like to be able to keep building on what I've accomplished instead of starting over.

Sorry about the rant, but I totally feel your pain. You'll be fine. If you can get to the point where you can run for 2 miles straight, you will amaze yourself at the 5k.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to slow down some?
  • jeffd247
    Options

No honestly I need to rest more until I am healthy and let this cold/flu pass.

I'm not so worried about the set-back as I was excited about the 5k I was signed up for. I need to just get over the fact that I am sick right now, and let it run its course. I feel terrible this morning. I was up all night last night coughing and hacking. I should not have tried to go running last night.

There's plenty of time and plenty of other races to prepare for.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll be back when this stupid cold is over :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    Options

No honestly I need to rest more until I am healthy and let this cold/flu pass.

I'm not so worried about the set-back as I was excited about the 5k I was signed up for. I need to just get over the fact that I am sick right now, and let it run its course. I feel terrible this morning. I was up all night last night coughing and hacking. I should not have tried to go running last night.

There's plenty of time and plenty of other races to prepare for.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll be back when this stupid cold is over :flowerforyou:

Yes, yes and yes. It is hard. I feel badly for you. Rest up. You'll feel better (and run better) in no time. Mucinex D and Saline Nasal spray!!!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You probably haven't really been set back weeks though. Once the cold is passed, I bet you'll find that you are back to where you were. Take it easy on yourself when you're sick.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much everyone can feel your pain - we've all had interruptions and hiccups along the way though missing your race would be a particularly big knock back.
    Unfortunately, if you're ill you're ill and especially if it's respiratory, there's not much you can do but rest and get better then get back out there - as already mentioned, it won't have set you back that far, not like if you were still on week 2 or 3.

If you really can't do the Turkey Trot then go and cheer your wife on and plan for the next one - there'll be plenty more and the next one you'll have more than enough time to prepare for.

Get well soon! :)
  • jeffd247
    Options
    That was so demotivating and frustrating, but today I felt pretty well so I hit the treadmill. I was able to run for 30 minutes and almost three miles and I feel great. I wanted to give up at 25 minutes but slowed the speed down for 2 and was able to push on.

I'm so happy to be able to run again. I find it easier to run on the treadmill but I know that I know I will be ready for Thursday morning, I guess there is a lesson in there for me to "chill".

I'm glad to be back. After thanksgiving I am going back to week 7 so I can finish the program.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That was the right thing to do. It sounds like you'll be fine for the 5k. When you run, send good thoughts my way!