Running in the Rain

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
Sorry I live in Arizona so I don't have much experience with this!

Friday is long run day (12 miles), 70% chance of rain Thursday night through Saturday morning, then it drops to 50% Saturday, and 30% Sunday. Knowing stupid Arizona rain forecasts that could just mean sprinkles all day or one big hour long thunderstorm in intermittent parts of the city or it could pour non-stop causing flooding and virtual chaos in our dry little desert.

Has anyone ever done their entire long run in the rain? I'm thinking if it's just sprinkles then I'll put on a rain poncho and just suck it up. Pouring rain then I'll probably head to the gym for a horribly boring treadmill session.

I can't run saturday as I'm in charge of an all day softball tournament. But I might be able to push it to Sunday evening if the rain or treadmill options are less then manageable.. Suggestions?

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Only "hard" part about running in rain for me is soaking wet shoes, but it really has to be pouring for that to happen. Otherwise we are waterproof.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've done a long run in the rain before. It was either 18 or 20 miles. It's really no big deal. Yeah, your feet are going to get a little heavy, but that's about it.

What to wear depends on the temperature. If it's over 70, then I would run without a shirt (I am aware that might not work real well for YOU :smile: ). Between about 50 and 70, I'd just wear a running shirt and protect my nipples with some body glide. 40 to 50, probably a tech tee with a water resistant, light weight running jacket. Below that, I just replace the technical shirt I would normally wear with the running jacket and use the same base layer as I normally would.

ETA: And you will feel TOTALLY Bad @ss when you are done!
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I live in the Seattle area.. I run in the rain! I actually enjoy running in the rain. My advice? Wear something comfortable that will dry quick and not weigh you down. No cotton. None. Not one ounce of it. If it's thunder and lightening I wouldn't risk it outdoors (I grew up in MN and I know thunder and lightening well) and if it's pouring to the point you think flooding then don't be stupid.. (I don't think you're stupid). You may find you like running in the rain - it keeps you cool and I find it calming (sometimes).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I need the motivation. It is supposed to rain here in northern Alabama Saturday morning (well 30% chance and 50 degrees) and I wanna run outside. Hope to get 6 miles in.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Nice, it will be in the 50-60s as I run at night so I'll probably need the light rain jacket and thanks for the advice about cotton!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Are all you people in Gilbert, AZ drunken fitness nuts? LOL jk I have a step sister and a nephew who live in Gilbert. My nephew is always posting FB pics of his and his wife's outings while drinking. But he is also a big lifter and concerned about health.
  • cjwest312
    cjwest312 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually find it super fun. I grew up in NY so our AZ rain rarely impresses me. However, I still find it fun to splash around, and it makes you look pretty hard core to be out there when everyone else is choosing to stay indoors and remain lazy.
  • mashabear11
    mashabear11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Living in London - you have to be ready to run in the rain. My piece of advice is to put Vaseline on your feet before putting your socks on. Not only it will help prevent blisters if your feet get wet (some puddles are unavoidable), but also it will keep your feet nice and soft. And I second what other said- no cotton, light rain jacket, and you do feel rather invincible when you're done.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to put on a visor or a hat with a brim. Something to keep the rain out of your eyes as you are running.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Rain coat - Check, Vasaline - Check, Hat - Check, No cotton - Check! Post run bottle of Skyy Blood Orange Fuision - Check!

Lol that's why I run so much - for vodka calories!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    It's not rain that bothers me, it is icy cold rain that does me in though.

I had that this morning, icy cold rain, in my face, wind too :(

I got a little concerned as my feet got wet and then my toes would not warm up, not even after six miles. Having said all that, I was rather impressed that I persevered haha.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is just fine with me - just be aware of potential hazzards.

For example, the recreational trail that I run on is also along one of the area waterways and there's a whole street/water/drainage system going on adjacent to the trail. Well, one dark, rainy morning, I almost ran into a giant wall of water going right across the running path! Now I know to avoid that underpass when it's raining and cross the streets above the trail instead.

If you're running in the rain and in the dark, be wary of water filled potholes, slick surfaces, etc.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is fun! Unless there is flash flooding. Then not so much.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. If it's warm out, I'll wear my tri gear as it's designed for being wet. And I try to stay away from wearing my daily trainers - a pair of flats or trail shoes that promote drainage will do the trick. And no socks.
  • rayvynn5374
    Options

What you don't like to throw some swimming into your running occasionally?
  • mitchyinge
    Options

I dreamed about that last night, there was so much water I had to swim the rest of the way! This is because almost every run this week has taken place in quite heavy rain, I don't mind it at the time except when it is hitting my face and it's all sharp and it stings :( the hard part is warming up again when it's over, even when showered and changed

my feet always get soaked through, am off the road a lot and the mud just goes over and into my shoes, have some spare shoes now but otherwise what can I do? move to nevada?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'll admit--I'm a wimp and I don't run in the rain. Ever. I once got caught in a thunder storm two miles from home, got to a bus shelter, and called my husband to come pick me up. Just not my thing LOL
  • rayvynn5374
    Options

I dreamed about that last night, there was so much water I had to swim the rest of the way! This is because almost every run this week has taken place in quite heavy rain, I don't mind it at the time except when it is hitting my face and it's all sharp and it stings :( the hard part is warming up again when it's over, even when showered and changed

my feet always get soaked through, am off the road a lot and the mud just goes over and into my shoes, have some spare shoes now but otherwise what can I do? move to nevada?
    Do what we did...buy a hot tub lol ok so not a cheap alternative but cheaper than moving! maybe instead of shower fill that tub up and sit. We run, come home stop sweating then sit in hot tub for about half an hour to an hour with a drink. Always warms me up!
  • emAZn
    Options
    I don't think a hot tub is an un-reasonable christmas present request.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    haha LOVE it

ok, it's on my Christmas list :)