Healthy cereals?

Options
Uglytwinsister
Uglytwinsister Posts: 16 Member
Hi everyone. Just wondered what sort of breakfast cereal you eat as a healthy choice. Ive tried to research labels at the supermarket, but even with my reading glasses on im struggling :-) Thanks

Replies

• KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have Special K Fruit & Nut Medley and I do like it. Its all very confusing in the supermarket isles.

Healthy Food Guide says....
    Choose cereal with...

More fibre: aim for more than 10g per 100g. More fibre is good for adults, but for children no more than 15g per 100g.
    Less sodium: aim for less than 400mg per 100g. Even better, choose a cereal with no added salt.
    Less sugar: aim for less than 15g sugar per 100g; for cereals with dried fruit, aim for less than 25g per 100g.
    Whole grains: these cereals are higher in vitamins and fibre.
  • daryll77
    daryll77 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have the Uncle Toby's Apple, Honey and Sultana porridge in the single serve packets. I make it up with 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of trim milk and it comes to about 150 cal. If I have done a big run in the morning or am just feeling hungrier than usual i add a banana. These are great...90 seconds in the microwave and the little packets have a mark on them so you can pour your milk/water straight into the empty packet and you get the right amount every time!
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just soak rolled oats in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Then add milk and fruit. and maybe brown sugar if I can't resist!

Also yummy is to soak oats overnight in apple juice, then just add yoghurt the next morning.
  • jamesg2012
    jamesg2012 Posts: 25
    Options
    porridge is the best and keeps you going longer...Always important to have a good breakfast!!!!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have porridge with a scoop of protein powder for taste, nice in the morning now it's getting cold and keeps me going til mid morning :smile:
  • Uglytwinsister
    Uglytwinsister Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks
  • Sneeze1970
    Sneeze1970 Posts: 18
    Options
    After reading the side of too many cereal packets I'm now having Uncle Toby's Oats Quick Sachets every morning. I mix them with 1/4 cup lite milk & 1/4 cup water with a bit of Splenda on top sometimes. Too many of the 'healthy' cereal options were too high in sugar for my liking.

My other half switches between the Uncle Toby's Oats and a bowl of All Bran with fruit & plain yoghurt.

Good luck finding a breakfast that satisfies but doesn't blow your healthy eating goals!
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have porridge with a scoop of protein powder for taste, nice in the morning now it's getting cold and keeps me going til mid morning :smile:

oh!!!!! I never thought of adding protein powder to my porridge. Good idea thanks :-)
  • kiwilass
    kiwilass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Porridge
    Weetbix
    Uncle Tobys - Plus Antioxidant Lift - Cranberries, Blueberries and Sultanas
    Hubbards - Real
    Sultana Bran
    eggs
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Harraway's porridge sachets (cheaper than Uncle Toby's & Kiwi made), with 1/2 a can Watties lite fruit salad (55kcal), and a tablespoon of raw quinoa (slows me down eating it).
  • lemonemmafied
    Options
    I've been using the Harraway's porridge sachets (cheaper than Uncle Toby's & Kiwi made), with 1/2 a can Watties lite fruit salad (55kcal), and a tablespoon of raw quinoa (slows me down eating it).

I've heard about this 'superfood' quinoa: I didn't know you could eat it raw. What's it like?
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this 'superfood' quinoa: I didn't know you could eat it raw. What's it like?
    Kinda like tiny chewy seeds. Quite an earthy/nutty flavour too.

Pre-washed quinoa is better (most should be, but not all) because unwashed has a soapy flavoured coating. Ceres Quinoa in the big supermarkets is fine to eat out of the bag.
  • lemonemmafied
    Options
    ]Kinda like tiny chewy seeds. Quite an earthy/nutty flavour too.

Pre-washed quinoa is better (most should be, but not all) because unwashed has a soapy flavoured coating. Ceres Quinoa in the big supermarkets is fine to eat out of the bag.

Thanks, I'll try it.
  • Moana41
    Moana41 Posts: 35
    Options
    Am loving Kellogs All Bran at the moment, just add skim milk and voila! Keeps your bowels moving if you have trouble in that area. They say to try it out for 7 days and you'll notice a difference in the way your tummy feels etc. Am only on Day 4, so far so good. Only 206 cals for me with 200mls of skim milk. Of course if you want to beef it up, add banana or fresh fruit. The fact that I work late evenings and wake up late (around 10.30 most mornings) I don't have to wait that long before lunch (which is my main larger meal of the day) so a low cal breakfast for me is ideal.
  • mrswattie
    mrswattie Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm pretty boring and just have 2 weetbix with some canned peaches on top. Keeps me full and isn't high in calories :happy:
  • phoebej88
    phoebej88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on the porridge boat. 90sec sachets and keeps me full! :)
  • FoxForceFiveNZ
    Options
    Interesting thread. I'm not a breakfast eater. I do love the 25 iron that Weetbix gives me, plus a bit of fibre, so am trying to eat some more often. What is porridge like for iron levels?
  • fitandfunblonde
    fitandfunblonde Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have 3 weetbix plus trim milk and a scoop of protien powder cooked in the microwave. so warm and yum and keeps me going till lunch
  • caj45
    caj45 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have 3 Weetbix, milk and almost a quarter of a cup of sunflower seeds which really bulks it up. I am not hungry until after lunch time.
  • spangey13
    Options
    My favourite combination is Fresh n Fruity Lite Vanilla (150g = 64 calories), with some frozen mixed berries (signature range 80g = 38 calories), and special K (30g = 112 calories). 214 calories all up. Keeps me going for AGES.