9 weeks for a 5 week cycle

Options
sun_fish
sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
2 weeks into cycle 3 I experienced pretty bad sacroiliac joint pain and it took 10 days, 2 physical therapy appointments, lots of ice and prescription ibuprofen to resolve. I then cautiously did one 50% day, then an 80% 2 days later, and all seemed ok, after which I started my cycle over. I finally finished this week, getting all 12 reps on all lifts! Woo-hoo! Of course I am still not lifting at my 10 rep max, just wasn't comfortable with that until I felt my form was better and needed to be careful with knee and shoulder pain. However, things are going well enough that I am thinking of retesting my 10 RM, and seeing if I feel comfortable getting a bit closer to that.

No updated pictures this time around. While I know I am getting stronger and progressing with the weights, and am very happy about that, my diet has been out of control so no weight or inches loss for 2 months now. I am just not staying consistent with my intake, though I am at least meeting my protein and fat minimums most days. Trying not to get too hung up on this, I definitely want to lose about 20 more pounds, just not sure what is going on in my head making this not happen.

Very excited to start cycle 4!

Replies

• claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    "Yay you" for not letting perfect be the enemy of good and modifying the program to fit your needs, in my mind that's a good sign that strength training is becoming a part of your lifestyle instead of a "fix." I know for me that's ultimately what I want so your story, despite the fact it involved an injury, is pretty motivating to me. I'm glad you're feeling better though :flowerforyou:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Also congratulations on completing this cycle! Retesting your 10rm is absolutely a good idea. If you want to take it a hit more slowly though, you could also progress with 10% from what you used in this cycle and work your way back up. Either way, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are feeling better! It seems like many of us experience injuries of some sort sooner or later. The most important thing is to get back to it when possible and you did just that! Well done!

I am on cycle 4 too. This one has been way more difficult for me so far! I'm on day 3 of week 2 and I have struggled both weeks. I doubt I will increase much of any of the exercises and may need to deload. How many cycles do you plan on doing? I wonder how many most complete before moving on to an intermediate cycle? It's not that I feel like I'm not a beginner anymore, it's that I would like to move on to heavier weights with fewer reps.
  • sun_fish
    Options
    Thanks for all your words of encouragement! I have decided to retest my 10RM tomorrow - the only lift I am leery of is squats. I do not like squats! I have been doing goblet squats, right now it is just the best choice for me. But I find them really, really, hard! Earlier this year I couldn't even do one body weight squat, so I know I have come a long way - geez I just did a total of 48 this week - with weights! So, I am thinking that one I will just do a 10% increase, or maybe even stay the same, not sure yet. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted and who knows, maybe I'll get my diet under control and lose a few more pounds!
  • sun_fish
    Options
    How many cycles do you plan on doing? I wonder how many most complete before moving on to an intermediate cycle? It's not that I feel like I'm not a beginner anymore, it's that I would like to move on to heavier weights with fewer reps.

Stronglifts has always appealed to me, and thought that I would eventually move to that. However, with my history of pain in so many parts of my body, I have to wonder if lower weights/higher rep range is better for me long term. I have scoliosis, and while I have always been under the impression it is mild, I do think that my SI joint pain (that I have had problems with for 23 years) and shoulder pain are directly linked to the scoliosis. I am coming to the realization that I need to be careful with my body and be realistic about my capabilities. I don't think that I ever will be the badass who squats her body weight and deadlifts more than that.

So I guess that is my roundabout way of saying I can see myself doing a few more cycles at least.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    How many cycles do you plan on doing? I wonder how many most complete before moving on to an intermediate cycle? It's not that I feel like I'm not a beginner anymore, it's that I would like to move on to heavier weights with fewer reps.

I think a lot of folks jump into other routines well before they're beyond "beginner" stages, if only to add some variety to the workout routine...
    Q17: How do I know if I am a "Beginner" or not?
    A: A beginner is, generally speaking, anyone who cannot squat twice his body weight, and bench press 1,5 times his body weight, for one repetition. So if you weigh 200 lbs for example, you should be able to squat once for close to 400 lbs. and bench press once for close to 300 lbs, in order to be considered to have moved beyond the "beginner" stage. It has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting weights - there are many people who have been going to the gym for a few years and who are still considered beginners. As long as your lifts are noticeably below the threshold described above, you are still a beginner and you'll benefit greatly from this routine.

For me, that's around a 240 lb. 1 RM for bench and a 320 lb. 1 RM squat. I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near that point but, fortunately, I haven't really been fighting boredom since the heavy lift day's enough of a challenge to keep me going. :)

I think, if anything, I'd be likely to switch out to Starting Strength or Strong Lifts for a few months, and then back to AP SBR, before starting AP IR or Mad Cow. I'm definitely not pushing my 10 RM max in all exercises even now... I intentionally started low to make sure my lower back didn't execute a coup on me, so the 5x5 programs seem like a good way to focus on strength before moving into more complicated routines.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    All pro's intermediate 1 is pretty much a hybrid between the SBR and a 3x5 routine... Just saying...
  • christianteach
    Options

Stronglifts has always appealed to me, and thought that I would eventually move to that. However, with my history of pain in so many parts of my body, I have to wonder if lower weights/higher rep range is better for me long term. I have scoliosis, and while I have always been under the impression it is mild, I do think that my SI joint pain (that I have had problems with for 23 years) and shoulder pain are directly linked to the scoliosis. I am coming to the realization that I need to be careful with my body and be realistic about my capabilities. I don't think that I ever will be the badass who squats her body weight and deadlifts more than that.

So I guess that is my roundabout way of saying I can see myself doing a few more cycles at least.

I'm strongly considering StrongLifts among other things. I don't know what I want to change to yet but something with fewer reps/higher weights. I'm tired of the same old thing and really want to be in the 5 rep range.
  • christianteach
    Options
    All pro's intermediate 1 is pretty much a hybrid between the SBR and a 3x5 routine... Just saying...

Thanks! I checked it out but I really want fewer reps and something simple and different.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Yep, it is, but it's got the potential to be far more complicated than the basic 5x5 or 3x5 programs. :)

I do think that's better and probably allows for longer & more balanced gains. But, at the same time, the flexibility of APs intermediate programs can be a little daunting for some folks.

If you want variety, AP's programs are a good choice, both beginner and intermediate. Personally, I think they're a lot "safer" over a longer period of time, since the structure helps protect you against over-training and there's some more self-governing progression built into it.

But if you want simple, heavy lifts with a focus on building strength, then traditional 5x5s for starters followed, by Mad Cow as an intermediate program, is another option.

I actually don't mind the lack of variety so much... For me, it's an hour of zoning out and not really having to think too much about what I'm doing beyond, "Move the iron, don't drop the iron on your head."

But I do tend to stall out faster on 5x5s. With that in mind, I'm planning on dropping a few 5x5 cycles after another cycle or two of AP SBR, and then either go back to SBR or go 5 or so cycles of AP's IPs.