New to the sleeve family.

Options
I am 2 weeks post op on wednesday. I'm looking for some support & guidence. It's such a mind struggle not eating solid foods. Ahhhh...I'm going crazy a bit. But I got this! I'm definitely in it to win it! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat for someone only 2 weeks out?

Replies

• janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello Welcome to the group:

You'll find very supportive people here from all walks of life, each dealing with their WLS issues. I don't know if you're eating pureed foods by now or not, but I would put soups that were high in protein into my blender to pureed it to a complete liquid. I also ate small curd cottage cheese with various flavors of "Crystal Light-type" drinks to liquidfy them together in a blender. I preferred the Mango with Cottage Cheese, and the Cherry with Cottage Cheese. I'd try faking my psyche into believing I was eating "Mousse". Whatever it takes, right? LOL Hopefully your Surgeon has given you some guidelines to follow?? Stick with them too.

Good luck to you on your WLS Journey, and I hope to see you around to watch your progress!! Janis
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I pretty much stuck to the protein shakes. I really enjoy the Premier Protein (chocolate) shakes from Sam's. They are premade and taste good. After my liquid phase, I still drank shakes to get enough protein in...it stinks, but you need to do it.

I agree with the previous response. Blend up soups with protein powder/just for something different. I blended up clam chowder and some other soups just for something different. I know that creamy is not on the plan, but I needed a different bite every once in a while.

Jello/pudding is good too...I like cottage cheese, but check with your surgeon to make sure he/she approves of your food choices. You don't want to hurt your stomach. :)
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm Gerri. I'm new to the sleeve life and to my fitness. Stumbled upon this site while surfing the web and I'm so excited. The support group at my hospital only meets once a month I could have a ton of questions by then, lol.

I had my sleeve done 10/30/13, go me 1 week post op. Feeling good so excited to have milk tomorrow. First follow up appt is Friday, super excited.

Looking for support and friends along the way
  • goodiegarcia
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. It is very much welcomed. I'm excited for this journey & glad I found this group.

Good luck Geri! I am only a week ahead of you & get excited as well when I notice something new on my list of eats. This group has been a great find.
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    Had my sleeve 10/28. No issues on soft food diet but nothing taste good . Having lots of trouble getting water in also . Tired scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes Pudding goes good and yogurt ok but can't even finish whole container. ADVISE.
  • goodiegarcia
    Options
    Gabbymom34
    All I can tell you is to take it slow. I take my food & water in every half hour, about 1/4 of a cup (or atleast try to). As far as the taste, I know what you mean and I'm just hoping it gets better over time. Good luck.
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started full liquids today. Was so excited to get up and have a protein shake on milk. I don't know what happened it was skim milk and it was Unjury but I was so full that it was an all day battle trying to get any fluids or protein in. I just felt so full all day to the point of nausea. I'm going to try again tomorrow and again w skim milk diluted and see.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I was sleeved 2+ years ago (July 2011). I was told to avoid eggs for several months after surgery as they are very dense and hard to digest. Who knew! I found keeping things moist really helps. I still have a hard time, kind of get a stuck feeling, if something to dry. I still add broth to a lot of stuff. Also, when you start adding meat back in, ground meats really work best. Canned chicken, probably because it's shredded, also works well.

Keep some unflavored protein powder around. You can add it to anything and really help keep your protein level up when you just can't get enough food in. And get your water in every day. Make that a habit. It is just so important.

Good luck to everyone! It's a challenge some days, but still the best thing I've ever done for myself!
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    Really hard to get it all in when you can eat a whole container of anything. If I add protein to something then don't eat it all I dint know for sure what I getting
  • nantnet
    nantnet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you, I was sleeved on 10/02/2013 so I am almost as new as you. I have found that nothing really tastes that great after surgery for a few weeks it seems food in general just tastes different. That is what I experienced so I just drank my shakes, didn't enjoy much of the soft food faze or the liquid faze but I just did what I was supposed to do and it goes by pretty quick. I am eating most of the things I could eat before but just much smaller quatities and I still drink the shakes if I don't feel I will get enough protein in for the day. Best of luck on your new journey and enjoy the heck out of smaller and cuter clothes. :)
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    You are eating all regular textured food? Good luck to you also.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks out I was living on well whizzed, (in a nutribullet), thinned black bean soup, Greek yogurt, and protein shakes. My doc said "anything that turns to liquid instantly in your mouth", but yours may say different.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been given by the Bariatric Dietician for my area. I am 2 weeks post op and just starting stage 3 of the bariatric diet. This is called the "Pureed Diet:

Milk and alternatives:
    -Skim or 1% milk or Lactaid
    -low fat or unsweetened soy beverage
    -smooth plain or vanilla fat free low sugar yogurt
    -fat free low sugar pudding
    -strained cream soup made with skim milk or 1%
    -skim milk powder
    -fat free or ricotta cheese, mashed
    -fat free low sugar greek yogurt

Meats and alternatives
    -soft tofu blended
    -broth
    -unsweetened whey protein powder
    -pureed chicken, turkey or fish
    -pureed legumes
    -soft poached egg (chewed well)
    -pureed vegetable protein

Grain Products and starchy foods
    -thin plain oatmeal, oat bran cereal, cream of wheat or rice cereal with skim milk
    -mashed potato, yams or sweet potato

Fruit and veg.
    -unsweetened fruit juice (up to 1/2 cup a day)
    -low sodium vegetable or tomato juice (up to 1 cup a day)
    -thinned applesauce
    -pureed unsweetened fruit with no seeds
    -pureed cooked vegetables (carrots, green beans, parsnips, peas, cauliflower, squash, asparagus tips)

Other
    -water
    -diet popsicles
    -decaf coffee and tea
    -herbal tea
    -fat free almond/rice drinks
    -non carbonated sugar free drinks
    -diet jello