Arm Day; Leg Day or Full Body days?

Options
reneekise
reneekise Posts: 91 Member
I am wondering if this makes a difference.

I do a full body boot camp style workout once per week. The other days, I typically do cardio, but I am starting lifting two days a week.

Does it matter if I do one arm day and one leg day? Or if I just have two full body lifting days?

Just curious what has worked for everyone here and if it makes a difference.

THANKS!!

Replies

• jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started weight lifting doing full body but now work on a leg day, back/shoulders and an arm day. Splitting my days helps me concentrate on a specific area and allows me to workout in a smaller frame of time. I also push myself harder knowing I have a lot of rest due to revolving workouts. I don't think full body in one workout is an issue at all if you have the time, just be sure you rest and repair in between.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Just do what you can, when you can, as often as you can. :) As someone once put it clearly to me, construction workers don't "rest and repair" but they've got big muscles. Professional dancers have muscles, and they workout every day. So my vote is, just do it!! However you can!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly think it matters. I usually do full body days, but that's mostly because I can't get to the gym more than about twice a week, if that. So I just do both arms and legs when I'm there and about a half hour of cardio.

Generally speaking, there is no "right" way to do things, unless you have specific goals, like for a fitness competition. I know I don't have time to do separate days for arms, legs, shoulders, etc., because I barely have time to get to the gym in general, much less often enough to have separate days.

Do what works for you. If you end up with more time, or you find yourself wanting to shift to separate days, you can always do that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Does it matter if I do one arm day and one leg day? Or if I just have two full body lifting days?

I'd do an Upper Body & a Lower Body split
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    If you're only lifting twice a week, I'd say full body both days.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you're only lifting twice a week, I'd say full body both days.

This.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm still a relative newbie at lifting, but I go for full body workout 3x a week. One of those 3 days is with a trainer and he pushes me as hard as I can go on deads, squats and bench, plus some accessory stuff thrown in, but its always a full body workout.

Whether I will eventually need to go upper/lower body splits I dont know :) , but I will ask him next time I see him.
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can only get to the gym twice a week so when I am there I do full body sessions: Squats, Dead Lifts, Rows, Over head Press and Chest Press with heavy weight on the bar bell. When I am at home I use dumbbells for isolation moves.
  • Zelka67
    Zelka67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only get to the gym twice a week so when I am there I do full body sessions: Squats, Dead Lifts, Rows, Over head Press and Chest Press with heavy weight on the bar bell. When I am at home I use dumbbells for isolation moves.

Full body for sure! It's more metabolic and your body recomp will happen quicker IMO
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do an arm day, leg day, shoulder/back day/ and then full body days. But I also lift 4-5 times per week. I'm going to echo the others and suggest you do two full body days since you're only lifting twice a week.
  • Jamie22184
    Jamie22184 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters...whatever works for you and your schedule. Personally, I do legs on Monday/Thursday and Arms/chest/back on Tuesday/Friday. I lift heavy not only to blast body fat to smitheriens but also to build endurance/strength for everyday life (my job is very strength based.)