Open Diary, would love critique. Or should I give up hope?

Options
Hey I'd love to have someone in this group, or multiple folks, check out my diary and offer suggestions. I wear a BodyMedia armband and according to it, my average daily deficit for the last 28 days is 528 calories. This in addition to eating very low carb. Yet I have gained 1.8 pounds.

I have been eating low carb on and off for about six years. I have never had the kind of wild success that some folks do with it, but I feel great on low carb and its the only way that I can lose. I once lost 35 lbs over the course of 2 and a half years by lifting heavy, eating low carb, and doing daily cardio. When I got very sick and was diagnosed with lupus, I gained about 15 lbs back in a month due simply to fatigue. Once I went on steroids and other lupus medication, forget it; it was over. I gained all my weight plus some back. I lost some of it by going on Phentermine. Phentermine stopped working and I gained it back. No worries I thought; I have always preferred to do things naturally, so I attempted to lose it again on my own but nothing worked. Last year I gained another 30 lbs in 4 months. Dieting without low carbing did not work so I'm back to LCHF.

I'm getting hopeless; all in all I have been attempting to lose weight for about 7 years. I have lupus, PCOS and SIBO but I have my thyroid checked at least once a year, even after last year's sudden weight gain and have been declared normal, by both mainstream and alternative doctors. Additionally, I don't feel sick right now; I feel a little fatigued, which I will probably feel my entire life, but given all my conditions I feel pretty good and have a decent amount of energy. I don't use sweeteners except for stevia and I don't eat gluten or very many processed foods. I do eat dairy because I have trialed not eating it in the past (was even vegan for 6 years) and didn't notice any benefits, also have a hard time figuring out a good LCHF diet without it. I weigh and measure everything. I'm exhausted with it. I don't eat condiments like ketchup and I rarely go to restaurants (maybe once every 1-2 months) so I don't see how there could be carb creep. I think I am eating a lot of calories but I'm going by BodyMedia, so perhaps I should assume it overestimates and eat fewer calories. As you can see, I'm usually all over the place, eating 1700-1800 one day and 1300 another day. This is based on my hunger and activity levels only. I am not close to goal. I am 5'2" and I weigh 180. I am probably more muscular than your average person of that weight and size, just due to my current activities, but not by too much. I want to add that I no longer take any medications for lupus or anything thing else; the last time I took any meds was January 2013.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary :/
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Its totally supposed to be open; let me check my settings.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    It was open only to friends. Should be open to all now. Thank you for looking and letting me know!
  • hereisgone125
    Options
    Your sodium was a little high a few times last week (2 days it was significantly over), any chance you could be retaining water? One day you had bacon & prosciutto, and another you had cheese and prosciutto.

Other than that, I wonder is the hollandaise sauce REALLY 0 carb, and I know my HWC is like 1 carb a tbsp, so on the days you have 3tbsp, that can add up.

But my money is on water weight. If the scale keeps creeping up though, I'd talk to your doctor.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Hereisgone125 - I super appreciate the feedback. I don't give a lot of thought to sodium because I eat few processed foods (obviously I eat processed meats & cheeses but very few things that come in boxes.) I did go over two days due to my favorite salami that I eat as a sometimes treat. I didn't even notice so I really appreciate you pointing that out. Also good call on the hollandaise. I try and make my own sauces usually but have failed miserably at hollandaise so I bought some; I have never eaten 3 tablespoons at once but I usually have two tablespoons. Maybe I will cut it back out and see what happens. I don't know if it will help; I feel like I'm stuck in a bad seven year rut.

My doctor had nothing to say to me the last time I gained weight. She checked my thyroid and when it was normal she told me not to low carb because it caused the body to go into starvation mode. WTF? She suggested I join TOPS or WW. I gave Weight Watchers a try for 12 weeks. I lost 4.5 lbs the first week and nothing the next 11 weeks. That's when I rejoined MFP and soon after I started Low Carb High Fat-ing again.
  • hereisgone125
    Options
    Funny...I've actually had multiple doctor's suggest low carb to me, mostly South Beach, but still, low carb. Guess it's all personal preference. Mine never could figure out why either since my thyroid is fine. I have my own theories...but I digress....

The doctor I'm seeing now recommended Atkins (which I had already done once when I was a teenager with great success), but the high sodium & high fat things I had to figure out, painfully, on my own.

I <3 pork roll, which is very high in sodium, and I have found I am very sensitive to it. Try upping your water intake, and yes, yes, sometimes I take an all natural water pill when it just gets out of hand (I can put on 5lbs in a day, yikes). I know it's disappointing, but it will be off in no time. And don't forget TOM can also affect water weight.
  • hereisgone125
    Options
    Good news though -- I googled that hollandaise sauce, and it does seem to be less than 1 carb per serving. I honestly suspecting they were sneaking sugar or flour or something in there.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Oh, awesome. :) Good to know!
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You seem to be over on your carbs a lot. If you're very sensitive to them, you may need to be below 20 a day to see results.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Interesting; I was wondering about that. I thought I had success at under 50 once but I had been wondering if I need to drop below 20. Will give it a serious try. Thank you. I'm freaking out. Woke up today with the weight still on. This is not a one-time thing either; haven't seen a net loss since August.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'd limit the nuts and but products like BTPB. In fact, when you're low carbing you WANT high fat. So BTPB isn't the best choice. If you have to have peanuts and cashews, eat whole nuts and measure portions and/or make your own full fat nut butter. But yea, I'd watch those overall while trying to increase your fat.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Yep, that's a great point. My food notes today are all about how I've come to the same conclusion and will be eliminating them. Hence my binging on them today. :)
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    80% of my calories come from fat but I have trouble striking a balance between low calories and high fat, as most people do. Hence the PB2.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have 2 suggestions for you to consider. (1) Give up with the fake/faux treats. You're trying to lose weight and trying to find substitutes for the things that got you here in the first place is not going to teach you new habits. A LOT of people are sensitive to the sugar alcohols and crap these companies use to substitute for the carb content. They really are not trying to help you, they are trying to get your money. (2) I don't exercise but I do hear a lot of people who do recommend not eating back their exercise calories. Use it as "extra credit" only and not as a reason/excuse to eat that extra piece of (insert food here). Remember, what you've always done got you here. You need to make new habits and leave the old ones behind.
  • KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of "fake" treats, but you know, it works for me. I am never going to be one of those people who cook every single morsel that goes into their mouths. Kudo's to those who can, but I have to be honest with myself and if that HAD to be my case, I would never stay low carb for long. It's a balance for me, I know I eat too much sodium and even though my diary doesn't list it, I drink crap loads of water. I eat low carb breads, bagels, ice cream and lots of easy things. I have never been into "cooking" and finding ways to make mock mashed potatoes (I hate cauliflower) or other things I know I will not eat. if I want chips and guacamole, I will slice up a low carb tortilla and fry it up in wedges for chips. If I want ice cream, I will eat a Breyers Carb Smart bar, and I even buy the Atkins bars and shakes. I have found a balance, it's not an exact science but it works for me. If the "fake" stuff is what keeps me going on this journey, then so be it. it's better than nothing.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Your diary is looking good! One suggestion - consider adding fiber as one of the macronutrients that you track. That helps to be able to calculate net carbs.

I think treats are a personal choice. If you are experiencing a stall, they are something to consider cutting. For me, I probably wouldn't have been able to be committed to keto as a lifestyle for 15 months without some treats. Lily's chocolate is my main treat that is pre-made; but I also bake and cook quite a bit. If you can drop them, great. If those items are the difference between you staying committed or falling off the wagon, then keep them in moderation.

One other thought - drink more water. try for 12-16 8 oz glasses a day, rather than 8 8 oz glasses.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Hey Angela,

First of all let me applaud you for opening you food diary for critique. Bravo!

I took a peek at your diary and noticed a few things different from the strategy I am taking. I also took you height, weight and age stats and checked what your calorie targets should be. Here are my conclusions. Again, let me restate, that the strategies below work well for me, so I'm happy to share them. I sincerely wish you luck with whatever choice you make. You go girl!

My thoughts...

1) I think your calorie target is too high. I'm approx your height and rarely go past 1200 calories, even with exercise. Here's a calculator I find very helpful. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    2) you are eating way too many carbs. Limit them to 25 grams, and allow the rare occasion for them to climb to 30
    3) stop throwing the egg whites away - I notice you double up on yolks and throw the whites out. The whites are a fantastic source of protein. Then I see you get protein from not so ideal sources like protein powder and peanut butter powder. Nix the man made artificial foods, and maximize the natural REAL food.
    4) you eat a lot of fake foods. I would try to incorporate a bit more REAL food. Here's a tip, try to incorporate frozen veg in your meals - fry in butter and serve with your morning eggs or dinner. Like frozen asparagus, or broccoli, or leafy greens. Take 2 seconds to prepare and delicious fried in butter or bacon fat. Another tip is try to incorporate avocado - eat with breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    5) you have enormous calories expenditure on snacks. It looks like you nibble on snacks all day? If so, stop. Let your body "fast" for several hours, like at least 6 hours. It would be better if you eat your calories during the meals, and reduce the calorie expenditure on snacks.
    6) take a multivitamin. Your snacking may indicate nutrient difficiency. Consider a multivitamin like centrum. Also omega 3 fish oil and vitamin D.

Sincerely hope this helps.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Hi thats so kind of you to look into my diary. I'm about to lock it up again and take a few days off because its all so frustrating. I just want to respond to a few of your points; I am taking some to heart and I have some arguments against a few of them hee hee ;)

1) I think your calorie target is too high. I'm approx your height and rarely go past 1200 calories, even with exercise. Here's a calculator I find very helpful. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Did you read that I wear a BodyMedia armband? I am eating based on what I burn. I burn between 2500 - 3100 calories a day according to BodyMedia. Of course BodyMedia *may* be overestimating my burn, it is not accurate for everyone and it may very well not be accurate for a short girl with PCOS. Having PCOS makes me think that I should be on a 1200 calorie diet sometimes but I have to admit I have never in my life been able to stick to that. Ever ever ever. And when it doesn't work, you have a million people yelling at you to eat more. So it seems like a lose lose situation.

2) you are eating way too many carbs. Limit them to 25 grams, and allow the rare occasion for them to climb to 30

Agreed; I had not been paying attention and when I get back to giving this an earnest go I am going to be doing 20 carbs per day. I have SIBO and I can't really digest fiber so I do not do "net carbs."

3) stop throwing the egg whites away - I notice you double up on yolks and throw the whites out. The whites are a fantastic source of protein. Then I see you get protein from not so ideal sources like protein powder and peanut butter powder. Nix the man made artificial foods, and maximize the natural REAL food.

I was trying not to induce the process where extra protein gets converted to carbs. Hence the throwing away of the egg whites. I eat PB2 because its my weakness, not to get protein from it.

4) you eat a lot of fake foods. I would try to incorporate a bit more REAL food. Here's a tip, try to incorporate frozen veg in your meals - fry in butter and serve with your morning eggs or dinner. Like frozen asparagus, or broccoli, or leafy greens. Take 2 seconds to prepare and delicious fried in butter or bacon fat. Another tip is try to incorporate avocado - eat with breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I eat like no fake foods at all except for PB2 which is my weakness. I'm not sure where you get this? I eat 2 of my husband's Skittles each night but outside of that nothing I eat comes in a package except meat. I even get my eggs from chickens that I care for.

5) you have enormous calories expenditure on snacks. It looks like you nibble on snacks all day? If so, stop. Let your body "fast" for several hours, like at least 6 hours. It would be better if you eat your calories during the meals, and reduce the calorie expenditure on snacks.

Yes and no; I do eat a lot of my calories in snacks but they are usually in blocks of two snacks per day. I see where you're headed here though and I think you have a point.

6) take a multivitamin. Your snacking may indicate nutrient difficiency. Consider a multivitamin like centrum. Also omega 3 fish oil and vitamin D.

I take vitamins but I don't track them. I take too many to track. Multi's make me sick and I have serious B and D vitamin defiiciencies thanks to auto immune disease and have to take huge amounts of them. Thank you for reminding me to begin taking fish oil again; I have been remiss here.

Again, thank you! I will take your advice to heart. I'm iffy on the 1200 calorie thing and I stand by my claim that I don't eat fake foods but I seriously think you have some good points.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Thank you to all of you; I really appreciate your advice. I'm super confused; can any of you tell me what fake foods I'm eating? Besides the PB2. I'm having a hard time understanding what you guys see. I don't even use artificial sweeteners except for stevia and I make all my own treats like fat bombs and low carb grain-free scones. Any insight here would be great.

Again I thank you all just for looking and trying to figure it out. I am closing it up in a few days; I feel naked and totally embarassed having my life exposed but you guys have been totally nice. I'm going back to my thyroid doctor to make sure that my thyroid hasn't tanked again because that was a problem for me in the past. I'm also thinking of ditching the BodyMedia as it may be giving me falsely high numbers when it comes to my burn. Thanks!
  • KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for my numbers, I do not eat back my activity calories, or if I do, it's just a few like 20-50 calories. That leaves me with usually 400-600 left over from activity calories. I use a Jawbone UP and it does weird things with my numbers so I just stay with what I know is working. You will just have to find out what works for you. Good luck!