Good running songs.

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
I know we all have different music tastes, but there are some songs that have really got me through tough points in my runs. Do you all have any to add, my run playlist needs some new tunes. These are the songs that cause me to perk up when they come on. Please add yours.

Bruno Mars-Runaway Baby, this song is not about our kind of running, but, I was on one of the 25 minutes runs and not liking it at all and he started singing you better run, you better run, you better, you better.... It made me smile and I kept going.

Cheryl Crow- Every Day is a Winding Road, I love when this comes on during my morning runs, gets me thinking.

Britney Spears- Toxic, I just love her, even though she goes back and forth between being a mess and being normal.

Little Boots-Remedy, I'd never heard of this song or artist, but my daughter's cheer team used it in their music a couple years ago, and it found its way into my music via iCloud. It's fun and upbeat.

P!nk- Blow me One Last Kiss, P!nk is so bad as$ and gorgeous and I have no idea why I love this song.

Lil' Mama - Lip Gloss, there is no reason for me to even have this song in my music. I believe it's another ICloud transfer from my older daughter. It's a silly song, but it's pretty empowering.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have the Bruno mars song. It's hard to find songs with the right beat that are also not depressing/angry and have vocals that are aligned to your cadence.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have migrated to only running with the music in the open, so I stick to rock stations on either IHeart or Pandora, so the beats don't mess with me much any more. I like being able to hear the biker behind me, or listen to my foot falls and hear my breathing. Let's me tune into my body a lot more.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    anything really helps me. i just need the distraction. i currently have the music from smallville season one on random.

one thing i recommend is that if you are using your phone as your tracking device/music player, ensure that the song that is your ringtone isnt in your running playlist.

happened to me last night. running along, "the middle" by jimmy eat world comes on, im fumbling in my pocket to see whose calling me, turns out it was no one.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Call of The Warrior by Volbeat is my most recent fav running song. it messes with my rhythm but as long as it comes on at end of my run, the change causes me to finish strong. weird. Last night it came on just after 1/2 way through my 28 min run (W8D1). I had not found my rhythm yet and that song actually set me up to find it in the 2nd half.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I spent some time going through all the songs I had on my computer, arranging them by pace (used jog.fm). I was surprised at how many of the songs I already have fit into my desired pace (11ish). Lately I've been on an Avett Brothers, David Mayfield Parade, Jimmy Buffett kick!

I think having any music playing helps me regardless of the pace of the music.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've migrated to a single headphone (bikers are scary, loose dogs even more so) and can even run naked as long as it's not a loooong run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I use one earbud when running, too. (I use one at work too, so I can hear what's going on around me!)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I just added

Joan Jett - Bad Reputation, Do you Wanna Touch, I Hate Myself for Loving You
    Brittany S - Womanizer
    Katy Perry - Roar
    Icona Pop - I Love it
    Usher - Numb
    Janet Jackson- All For You
    Avicil - Wake Me Up

Go to jog.fm and it has playlist.:heart: You can enter your speed and it'll tell you what songs work for your speed. They also have an app. I just looked through the website for ideas :happy:

OH and early morning runs also have me running with only one earbud!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I run with one ear bud in, I have to be able to hear what's around me.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Example - Changed The Way You Kiss Me always perks me up.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    I run with music on but prefer the quiet during my warmups and cooldowns. I would prefer running without music but I feel that it helps motivate me during the run.

I have a curated playlist with only 120+ BPM songs. I have read in an article (I should have bookmarked it!) that music is proven to help set the running pace.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Best-Running-Playlists-31943678?utm_campaign=fitness_newsletter_v1&utm_source=fitness_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=placement_1&slide=1&image_nid=31943972
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I run with music on but prefer the quiet during my warmups and cooldowns. I would prefer running without music but I feel that it helps motivate me during the run.

I have a curated playlist with only 120+ BPM songs. I have read in an article (I should have bookmarked it!) that music is proven to help set the running pace.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Best-Running-Playlists-31943678?utm_campaign=fitness_newsletter_v1&utm_source=fitness_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=placement_1&slide=1&image_nid=31943972

Mine is 160 (or 80). Working toward that "magic number"
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    bikers are scary

I know why
    and can even run naked as long as it's not a loooong run.

I haven't gotten this advanced yet. I don't know if I ever will. However, it is possible that DH would ask me to do such a thing on a country road...
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I need to check out these songs. I really need to get new music as I'm sure my slower beats affect my running speed (unless I'm on a treadmill). Some day I hope to switch to no music, but I still need it now and again for distraction.

Oh, and I agree about Pink.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    bikers are scary

I know why
    and can even run naked as long as it's not a loooong run.

I haven't gotten this advanced yet. I don't know if I ever will. However, it is possible that DH would ask me to do such a thing on a country road...

Silly girl.

Reminds me of the Remy column:

"Q: Who has the right of way on a trail: A runner or a mountain biker?
    A: Generally speaking, here's the rule: Hikers and runners yield to horses; mountain bikers yield to hikers, runners, and horses. Of course, if the mountain biker appears to be jacked up on Red Bull and is bombing downhill while screaming thrash metal lyrics, the prudent runner will step aside and let him pass. If you encounter a horse on a mountain bike, all bets are off."

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/etiquette-for-runners

Of course, if the bikers on the trail were singing, then that would eliminate the possibility of accidentally stepping out in front of one.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Some of my current favorites:

Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Canned Heat - Jamiraquoi
    California Gurls - Katy Perry
    We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
    Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
    Poison - Alice Cooper
    Shut Up and Drive - Rhianna

I like a mixture of stuff. I am definitely adding Katy Perry's Roar soon.

And to the OP, I actually added Canned Heat because this year it is in one of my DD's cheer routines. LOL
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just added

Joan Jett - Bad Reputation, Do you Wanna Touch, I Hate Myself for Loving You
    Brittany S - Womanizer
    Katy Perry - Roar
    Icona Pop - I Love it
    Usher - Numb
    Janet Jackson- All For You
    Avicil - Wake Me Up

Go to jog.fm and it has playlist.:heart: You can enter your speed and it'll tell you what songs work for your speed. They also have an app. I just looked through the website for ideas :happy:

OH and early morning runs also have me running with only one earbud!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Rozydreams
    Rozydreams Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Two fav's make me want to run:

Florence and the Machine - Dog Days Are Over
    Flo Rida - Good Feeling