Paleo gift ideas for a 25 year old guy

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
At dinner tonight my Uncle mentioned my cousin (who has been a big boy his whole life and is now living on his own in a house going to law school) wants to do Paleo. No one knew what it was and how hard it sounded was thrown around (I didn't say anything about having done it because my diet choices are my own and my family is very opinionated on such things). I want to give him some cool, usable paleo stuff for Christmas but I'm stumped. I cook a lot and love cookbooks but am not sure he'd use the same ones I do. What about kitchen gadgets that are paleo friendly or maybe products? He cooks somewhat but he's a total bachelor, I don't see him making beef shank and cabbage stew in his spare time. Any ideas?

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What about an introduction/informative book on it such as It Starts With Food?
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'd look for a really basic cook book that doesn't involve a lot of weird ingredients or difficult tasks. More like 'fry a steak, roast a sweet potato, enjoy' 'make bbq sauce using balsamic vinegar and tomato paste'
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I love both those ideas- I don't know if he has "It Starts With Food" but I do know he's struggling with the amount of reading he has to do in law school so that would be a good to-the-point book. I'd like simple slap meat on the grill and not add pre-packaged anything to it books (know he's used to buying premade sauces and stuff as we all were before). thanks and titles are welcome. I almost wonder if I could set up a meat delivery thing for a couple months, I just can't afford too much. Hmmm, meat delivery . . .
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    "Well Fed" is a book written by a friend of the people who wrote "It Starts with Food". It contains not only recipes, but also information on basic cooking and meal planning. ("Well Fed 2" just came out, as well)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods and other such "30 minutes or less" or "set it and forget it" type of cookbooks.

Also, for something not cookbooky - check out the R.A.W. snacks and stuff ( http://www.realandwonderful.com/ ). They're a little pricey, but would make great stocking stuffers.

As for "paleo friendly kitchen gadgets" - First, am I the only one that finds that phrase rather absurd? Anywho, a food processor would probably be awesome to give him, if he doesn't have one already. Make it really easy to chop stuff up for meals. A good set of knives would be a good gift, too.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    what about a magic bullet or a digital food scale?
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think Wellness Mama (www.wellnessmama.com) did a post about that last year...lemme see what I can find:

http://wellnessmama.com/3467/top-healthy-gifts-for-your-loved-ones/

http://wellnessmama.com/6479/gifts-for-men/
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I have a kitchen full of utensils and appliances and when going paleo bought new and more applicable *gadgets* so for me at least, paleo friendly kitchen gadgets isn't absurd. I put away the rice steamer, potato ricer, pasta maker, bread machine and bought a pressure cooker, spiral veggie slicer, nice metal skewers for kebabs and still on the lookout for more!

I have well fed and well fed 2 (the rogan josh is amazing!) that would be a good book for him. I like the idea of stocking stuffer grab and go for him to start transitioning from the ease of processed packaged food to planning for healthy whole foods. Thank you all!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Outside of books, maybe a food dehydrator to make jerky? A crock pot maybe?
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Slow cookers are a HUGE benefit for Paleo. Also, blenders for home-made condiments and sauces.
  • janpuzzle31
    janpuzzle31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I started paleo I found that I needed to invest in storage jars for nuts etc and small containers for nuts/seeds when on the move.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker
    Raw snack foods
    A Gift Card for a side of beef or pork! :)
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    An immersion blender is inexpensive and super handy for making paleo-friendly condiments/sauces like mayo, etc..

Healthy fats - coconut oil, animal fats, etc..

I think Practical Paleo would be a good intro cookbook. The recipes are really good, not complicated and it has a lot of great information about the health benefits of paleo.

I love Well Fed but I'm not sure it's the best for a newbie to paleo. A lot of the recipes are rather lengthy to prepare and take a bit more skill. There's also a fair bit of speciality ingredients in it that may feel daunting to some. For someone who's not that into cooking, I'm not sure it's a good intro. (I bought it for my brother last year when he was new to paleo and he struggled a bit with it.)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If he lives in an area that things like coconut oil, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, etc. are hard to find (Like where I live) how about going on Amazon and getting those things and a simple Paleo cookbook.

Also a mini food processor... Mine's my lifeline to Paleo mayo and other goodies. :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    DEHYDRATOR !!! mmmm jerky!!