upping cals, still tired

Options
I was hoping that I would have more energy by eating at maintenance, but I've never been so exhausted. Is this normal? Id been eating at a cut (not a drastic one) for the better part of the year, but have spent November eating at maitenance and have found I am more tired than ever, I struggle to get through my days and my eyes start rolling by 8pm. Ive had my iron checked and thats fine. I was really hoping eating more would give me much more energy. Is this common?

Replies

• lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, being tired can be attributed to many things besides iron levels, such as hypothyroidism, low blood pressure and low sugar levels. Maybe you should get that checked out too!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that I would have more energy by eating at maintenance, but I've never been so exhausted. Is this normal? Id been eating at a cut (not a drastic one) for the better part of the year, but have spent November eating at maitenance and have found I am more tired than ever, I struggle to get through my days and my eyes start rolling by 8pm. Ive had my iron checked and thats fine. I was really hoping eating more would give me much more energy. Is this common?
    Hi, I had a similar problem! Making changes in WHAT I was eating made the difference. I had to decrease coffee to one cup a day. Yes the caffeine is an eye opener but it brings a crash later. Also I increased my Vitamin E and Magnesium by eating more foods with protein, like almonds, eggs, greek yogurt etc. I eat more fish to increase omega fatty acids. Eat a little less red meat. I do love my steak!!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ive been struggling recently, knocked my coffee down to 1 cup in the morning to get my kick started and I also started supplementing vit D last week and im noticing a difference in my energy levels already (its dark in the uk and i work in an office)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Is it possibly just the change in weather? Shorter days and cold temps make a huge difference in my energy levels, even when all other things are constant.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    51 yoa female, my culprit was recently diagnosed at vit D deficiency. I suspect it has been too low for quite a while, but most doctors do not check D levels until you are OVER 50. after getting my level up from a 22 to a 56 i am feeling great and now only drink a coffee ever once in a while for pure pleasure. i do not need it any longer to get me going and i am utterly shocked about that.
    Obtained lots of helpful information here: ( just in case )

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Vitamin-D3.html
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I'm in Australia so we are actually moving into summer and I get quiet a bit of sunshine. I pulled out my D supplements this morning though, to see if they might make a difference. I also don't drink coffee, I could try cutting back on the tea.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I'm in Australia so we are actually moving into summer

Words cant begin to describe the jealousy i have towards you.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your Vitamin D levels checked, over 50% of our population is deficient despite the amount of sun we get. Get your doctor to run other blood tests too, worth ruling everything out if you can!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You know, wheat makes me really sluggish and tired. When you upped your calories did it include more bread/pasta/starchy carbs. More calories in that way would knock me out. Just a thought...