Storing Bulk Paleo food

Options
Fit_Mama84
Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
I'm still learning about the Paleo/Primal way of doing things and I was wondering if anyone makes large batches of paleo versions of things such as cream of mushroom soup and has a good way of storing it until needed? Or are there any noodle replacement things that can be prepared and set aside for later use? Or does everything pretty much have to be made when it's needed? My mother use to can veggies and such when I was growing up so I thought maybe there would be a way of canning such things?

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not on the canning or freezing. Just try things, google recipes, etc. I am more of a non-recipe eater, keeping things very simple, and quick/easy to prepare. The one thing that helped me so much was to think 'raw' meaning instead of trying to create primal versions of complex carb meals, I think and eat more primal. Grab some nuts (roasted is healthier), veggies either raw or a quick soup, meat broiled, boiled, or stir fried quick and easy, and very little prepared/packaged foods.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Options
    I would be fine with that, but I make meals for both me and my husband and he is not ready to give up his favorite foods, so I'm trying to find healthier ways to make the things he loves without spending every free moment I have in the kitchen. Thank you for your response though. I just may have to get creative.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Freezing would be the best way unless you have experience canning. Soups can be canned but you need a pressure canner instead of water bath due to the low acidity. I invested in a food saver and soon will be getting a chest freezer. A few times a week I make a double or triple batch of something for dinner then freeze out single and double size portions. I always have a meal on hand that way, my hubs can grab something easily for lunch, and I rotate buy having a freezer meal a few times a week. I love it!!! I also do can quite a bit but mostly veggies and things that are good meal starters or sides. It can be overwhelming in the beginning but you will find your rhythm and what works best for you. Good luck!!
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I bought some paleo cookbooks recently - Well Fed and Well Fed 2. There's some tips in the first book about how to make the most out of your time in the kitchen, by spending 1-2 hours on a weekend doing some prep, e.g. partially cooking veggies, making a stew, hard boiling some eggs, roasting some sweet potatos, chopping cauliflower for cauliflower rice.

I tried this last weekend - hard boiled some eggs, made a slow cooked stew and finely chopped the caulflower. It was great - cauli was already prepared when I needed it, snacks on hand for pre-workout, and the stew worked for dinner and a couple of lunch. I tend to freeze leftover stew if I don't think I'll eat it, but that's about it.
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Most canning involves sugar or salt, and is therefore not paleo-friendly. Good paleo storage techniques are refridgeration and lacto-fermentation (pickling with bacteria, rather than with vinegar). Fermentation isn't that hard, and actually improves the nutritional content of the foods. Lots of good books available.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Most canning involves sugar or salt, and is therefore not paleo-friendly. Good paleo storage techniques are refridgeration and lacto-fermentation (pickling with bacteria, rather than with vinegar). Fermentation isn't that hard, and actually improves the nutritional content of the foods. Lots of good books available.
    Salt is not unfriendly for paleo and good quality salt,high in mineral content(like Himalayan salt)should be added to the diet.
    When making fermented cabbage,salt is used.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Google "Whole30 OAMC" and there are lots of links. OAMC=once a month cooking; basically, you can prepare an entire months' food in a day (usually on a weekend), and freeze it all. (If you have freezer space, of course.)
  • Fit_Mama84
    Options
    Thanks. You've all given me alot of good ideas. I appreciate the help!
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Justaspoonful--

No, salt itself is not anti-Paleo; in fact, it's the original mineral supplement! However, the amount of salt used in canning is much, much higher than that used in fermentation.