First Doctor's Appointment

Options

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Wow! So stressful! I'm glad to hear that everything was okay though!

I've had some light cramping since day one but a quick Google search said it was normal to feel premenstrual symptoms while in the early stages of pregnancy so I didn't worry about it.

I get to have my ultrasound tomorrow morning! So excited! :)
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    So glad to hear everything is okay, Amy!!

JustAnotherGirlSuzanne, make sure to let us know how it goes!!

I'll be living vicariously through all of you until I can finally have my own. :)
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    At my 12 week appointment they are going to do a blood test for down's syndrome. Is this a genetic test? Does this mean I will be able to find out the sex of the baby? I just read about some moms finding out at 12 weeks after something like this. Now I want to know!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You don't get to find out the sex at 12 weeks:( I did with my first only because I went to a 4D ultrasound place, not the doctors office. Most doctors won't tell you the sex until 20 weeks.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I had my first ultrasound! :) So exciting! He/she is really moving in there! It's kind of hard to believe that I can't actually feel the baby with all the acrobatics he/she is doing! The heartbeat is fast, but the lady wouldn't tell me how fast it was or anything like that. She said that I'll have to wait until I hear from the midwife clinic. :(

When I was leaving I asked for pictures but she said that it's too early for pictures at this stage in the game.... (10 wks) if I had have known that when the ultrasound was being done I would have taken out my phone and snapped a few of the screen. Kind of disappointing.

If any of you are from Canada, take your own pictures of the screen if you want to get any at 10 wks. I'd heard so much about being given a disk of pictures, but I guess they don't do that here. :(

It was so much fun though! The next peek I get is in January! :D Can't wait!
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Suzanne - I am so excited that you were able to see the baby today! But weird that the technician said it was too early for pictures.

I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks and another on Tuesday and both times I was given a disk with all of the images, of which you can certainly see the little peanut. The technician also told us the heart rate (both times), not sure why you need to wait for the midwife clinic for the results.

I'm in Calgary, Alberta, and my doctor's office uses Pureform Diagnostics for ultrasound and imaging, but the main provider in Calgary is EFW Radiology. I have to go to EFW for the genetic screening (11-13 wk ultrasound) as Pureform doesn't do that one, so I'll learn then if that company is different, and if we will get a disc with pictures again (or actual print out of photos).

Maybe it's just standard procedure for the clinic that did your imaging + instructions from the midwife clinic?

In any event, I am so glad you were able to see the baby today!!!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ok. So when I went for my U/S on the first I didn't get to see my doctor because of scheduling. The tech told us that our due date is the 11th of June. Today I got a letter from my doctor saying that she looked over the U/S and it appears that everything is progressing normally and that my due date is the 8th. Weird? So I guess I'm just going to go with the sooner one because it means that morning sickness will end earlier, right? :)
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    I'm so glad everything's OK Amy. Take it easy :flowerforyou:

Sorry I've been kind of MIA guys. The morning sickness has been kicking my butt pretty bad :grumble:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    It is weird... the technician didn't really tell me anything. I've heard it's because they don't want to be liable if something does go wrong... people in Ontario are crazy.

I sure thought that there was a lot to look at!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for my ultrasound! I will make sure to ask the lady right from the beginning if I will get pictures.
    I want to take my daughter to the ultrasound with me. Been thinking I will take a friend with Me and have her sit out of the room with my daughter until we call them in... cause they are going to do an exam the same day.
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    It is weird... the technician didn't really tell me anything. I've heard it's because they don't want to be liable if something does go wrong... people in Ontario are crazy.

I sure thought that there was a lot to look at!

I'm in Ontario too. I remember with my first pregnancy, the tech wouldn't let me see but with my second she was really nice about it all. They are scared of being held liable, but there are some that use common sense and understand how exciting it is. :)
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    Frist appointment with my midwives tomorrow!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    my 12 week sonogram is in 20 days! If I don't feel better by then, I may have a break down. =-/
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    _DoingMe_, I hope your appointment goes well today! :) So exciting!!!

bburg, I received an 11 wk email today from "The Bump" and one of the symptoms listed there was that morning sickness typically fades in this week. I've found my nausea has been a lot less for the past couple weeks. Hopefully you'll get there too!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I will be 11 weeks on Sunday. I truly hope that it starts fading then but I dont want to get my hopes up. It didn't leave with my daughter until I was 5 months.

Hope everyone is doing well today :)
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    I got to hear the heartbeat today and it was amazing. :)
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! I am so excited for you _DoingMe_!! I hope the rest of the appointment was good as well, but all that is nothing compared to FINALLY getting to hear that little heart beat!!

Tigger - hang in there! Have you considered some motionsickness bands? (Sea-bands, or something of the like?)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    JustAnotherGirl- Whew! great news.. it actually hasn't been bad for the past day or so.. I hope it goes away soon for GOOD!
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    The rest of the appointment was great. I love the midwife I've been paired with. I'll get to meet the secondary one soon. It's such a great practice and hubby was able to tag along and ask questions which has helped him accept midwifery a bit more.

bburg and tigger, I hope you guys start to feel better soon!!!
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had my second appointment today. My doctor couldn't find the baby's heartbeat with the doppler, so she did an ultrasound. Oh my goodness! The bean looks like an actual baby now! It looked like it had its hands up behind its head in a lounging position and it was kicking its legs like crazy! So wiggly!