Running Streaks

Options
http://www.runeveryday.com/lists/USRSA-Active-List.html
7 people currently have active streaks over 40 years!

Any opinions on this? I plan to run every day this winter (at least one mile) and found this organization by accident after a Google search.

In regards to the danger of overuse injuries I found this:

"Those in the general running community who protest against the streak running philosophy make a valid argument, and they base it solely on overuse concerns. The body does need rest to recuperate and avoid injuries... However, with enough background and experience, streak runners can build in ongoing rest breaks into their running schedule without giving up their streaks. They can do this by running a slower pace or shorter distance at least once or twice each week."
http://www.runeveryday.com/news/TheDangersofStreakRunning.htm

My guess is that the biggest danger would be running the day after a marathon (or longer distance race).

I just started my streak this month so I wont have to worry about running the day after a long race until next Spring (currently I am planning on doing my first 50k trail race in April)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132040-winter-run-streak
http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/rw-holiday-running-streak-faqs
http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/the-2013-holiday-running-streak

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Huh. I could see, say committing to running at least one mile every day for one year - but I don't think I'd bother going beyond that... for me, it'd just be too much laundry! As it is, when my training plans call for 2 mile runs (usually during taper, before a much longer race), I feel like it's a waste of laundry.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Huh. I could see, say committing to running at least one mile every day for one year - but I don't think I'd bother going beyond that... for me, it'd just be too much laundry! As it is, when my training plans call for 2 mile runs (usually during taper, before a much longer race), I feel like it's a waste of laundry.

Good point about laundry! It seems like I am doing laundry all the time as well. If you count running outside, swimming and lifting sometimes I change clothes 3-5 times in one day!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested it sustained performance improvement than having a streak. Taking a day off every now and then has been working for me, so that's what I'll continue to do. I guess it depends on what motivates you.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have some friends with 2+ year streaks. Running an easy mile or two the day after a marathon isn't necessarily harmful (and can be a valuable way to keep loose). What isn't so good is running injured, running sick, running at all costs when perhaps your family needs you more.

Most of the streaks are maintained by running a minimum of 1 mile a day, which for anyone other than a beginner is barely even worth calling a "run." My warm-ups are longer than a mile. So no, I'm not very impressed by this.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We all have different reasons to run, and different goals that inspire us. If running atleast 1 mile a day is something that is important to a runner, than I support and encourage what motivates & inspires them.

I personally dont see how 1 mile can put someone at risk of overuse. 7 to 11 minutes of jogging to a trained runner would not classify as overuse.

Like the poster above says - I encourage a run the day after a marathon. I believe I did an easy 9 miles after my Columbus marathon. It helps to work out the stiffness.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't mind periodic run streaks, seem to help motivate me. I did the Runner's World summer streak and completed it. I'm doing the RW Holiday streak from Thanksgiving to New Years. If I streak too long, I hear about it from my wife and yes, the laundry! Left home today and chuckled at the full laundry basket my wife marked "Dirty Running Clothes". I think that was a message for my honey-do list when I return home tonight! ;):laugh:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Running every day is too much of a good thing for me personally, but I can't imagine that running a very slow mile on a day you normally would take off would cause any problems. And +1 on the laundry concerns...not so sure swmbo would be too impressed with additional work load!
  • freckles369
    Options
    I did a 50 day challenge earlier this year (http://www.5x50.co.uk/) and whilst I enjoyed it and felt great that I achieved it, I would't plan an indefinite streak. I think it is better to be consistent and to listen to your body rather than going out regardless because you feel you have to. That said, if you want to do it and you would enjoy it, I'd say go for it! Good luck :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like my rest days. No run streaks for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I looked at the list and noticed that the really long streaks (more than 30 years) were held only by men.
    My wife said that's because women are smarter and less obsessive/competitive.
    But, that seemed a little simplistic to me, and not altogether true.
    So, then we speculated that 30-40 years ago, when people still "jogged," maybe women did not run.
    I think it is kind of surprising because (I think?) women tend to live longer and have more natural endurance . . . maybe? Yes?
    Running is certainly more popular with women now.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I dunno...rest day has a nice ring to it.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like my rest day(s) and my cross-training. That said, I can see the appeal of streaks.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I looked at the list and noticed that the really long streaks (more than 30 years) were held only by men.
    My wife said that's because women are smarter and less obsessive/competitive.
    But, that seemed a little simplistic to me, and not altogether true.
    So, then we speculated that 30-40 years ago, when people still "jogged," maybe women did not run.
    I think it is kind of surprising because (I think?) women tend to live longer and have more natural endurance . . . maybe? Yes?
    Running is certainly more popular with women now.

yeah, 30 - 40 years ago things were very different! I don't think you could even buy running shoes or clothes for women. Kathrine Switzer's book Marathon Woman is a fantastic read about the prejudices women faced in the struggle to establish a women's distance event.

it's strange that in so short a time, and especially beyond the marathon distance to the very long ultras women have caught up and in some events outrun men